Wiki Posts
Search

Grist blog: Airlines Impose on Polar Bears While Flying Over Them

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 3:49 pm
DL3
Original Poster

Grist blog: Airlines Impose on Polar Bears While Flying Over Them

Hi, I thought MileagePlus members may be interested in reading this blog on Grist about how United and other airlines are fighting efforts to reduce aviation pollution.

United Airlines Screws Polar Bears While Flying Over Them:

http://grist.org/article/united-airl...ing-over-them/

This is very disappointing given the reality that more and more people around the world are flying and climate pollution from aviation is skyrocketing. The EU program is an affordable and effective means of addressing this problem. As United frequent fliers, I think its critical we contact the company and ask them to stop opposing the EU climate law and embrace pollution reduction measures.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:10 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this is not specific to United, please follow the thread as it moves to the TravelBuzz forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, United and TravelBuzz.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
I see that the propagandists have made it here to our board...

I for one, oppose the extraterritorial EU tax that has nothing to do with the environment and everything to do with creating a revenue stream. In other words, so the EU states can live off non-EU money.

I for one, if I were to contact UA and send kudos, I would do so for opposing this parasitic and expensive tax that serves no purpose other than to prop up the EU states.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:08 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by abraxis
I see that the propagandists have made it here to our board...

I for one, oppose the extraterritorial EU tax
How is it extraterritorial? It impacts flights departing from, flying to, or flying over the EU, just as US law affects flights departing from, flying to, or flying over the US.

that has nothing to do with the environment
Carbon emissions have nothing to do with the environment?

and everything to do with creating a revenue stream.
Like most taxes, isn't it? Funny how the US, UK and every other country have all kinds of taxes on aviation, but this one is somehow different, because it "creates a revenue stream".
Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This tax is simply a money grab. If they want to make it simple just charge everyone $5 at immigration. The government can be responsible for the costs of collection, and the airlines would have no arguments. Easy-peasey.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by planemechanic
This tax is simply a money grab. If they want to make it simple just charge everyone $5 at immigration. The government can be responsible for the costs of collection, and the airlines would have no arguments. Easy-peasey.
I think most people would rather just have it included in the cost of the ticket than having to pay at immigration, especially foreigners who may not have cash in the correct currency at hand.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 3:05 am

Programs: UA Silv, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,
To be effective a carbon tax attempting to curb carbon usage cannot be affordable. It its affordable it won't curb anything.

If it is affordable it's not really going to do anything other then be a tax.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:15 pm
DL3
Original Poster

If it were a money grab, than why does the EU say it will defer to a global carbon emissions law or exempt national laws that are equivalent? The fact is that the EU acted in the face of inaction at the global level. Besides, airlines can participate without giving a dime to the EU. They can use the ample free pollution allowances they are given by the EU to invest in increased efficiency and actually profit from the scheme. Or they could buy their credits from a country like Germany that has committed to using any minor revenue that comes in from the program for climate purposes, or from the international carbon market.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by dark169
To be effective a carbon tax attempting to curb carbon usage cannot be affordable. It its affordable it won't curb anything.

If it is affordable it's not really going to do anything other then be a tax.
The same could be said of any "sin tax". According to your logic, a tax on cigarettes, for example, is ineffective because it is affordable, and therefore just a money grab.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.