Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposing on the plane...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSP-MN
If he must do it on an airplane, make sure he springs for first class and, if possible, select some seats that would give them the most privacy. As others have said, please strongly discourage him from trying to do it on the PA. It's extremely tacky, annoying to other passengers (whom may be sleeping) and could be very uncomfortable for his girlfriend.

If she is truly that big of a plane fanatic, this could be romantic if they were in adjoining first class suites on EK, or something similar, jetting off to a foreign destination. However if he's thinking first class on the 4:00pm DL ATL to JFK in an A320 is a appropriate setting, he might as well do it on a city bus where he could at least make a quick exit if she says no.

Just my two cents...and you know what they say about opinions. Still, good luck to him!
Agree on all points. Got a chuckle out of the ATL-JFK FC comment because its so true. I also just want to reinforce that it would be a long flight if the answer is no so try to incorporate that into when you decide on your flight to pop the question. First Class Transcontinental is pretty much the minimum level this should be done at. Also I would recommend a weekend flight (like Friday late afternoon/evening which seems to as a general rule have the most passenger drinking), less unamused grumpy business travelers on their way to an important meeting to potentially upset.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: Independent
Happy lot here on flyer Talk, aren't we?

I might choose the end of the flight rather than in the middle. But, being as airplanes are a strong interest of hers, then I think it is rather romantic.

I do have to agree, though, that I would make absolutely sure she is going to say yes.

Would there be a way you could find a rather short flight, where several family and friends might be able to fly along? You might need to contact the airline about getting on board somehow without her knowing the rest of the family is there.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
If he must do it on an airplane, make sure he springs for first class and, if possible, select some seats that would give them the most privacy. As others have said, please strongly discourage him from trying to do it on the PA. It's extremely tacky, annoying to other passengers (whom may be sleeping) and could be very uncomfortable for his girlfriend.
This. I have nothing against a quiet, private proposal in F, but doing it over the PA and involving 200 strangers puts terrible, nasty pressure on the woman by turning a moment of (hopefully) personal joy into a garish public spectacle -- doubly awful if she has doubts. Not considerate, not funny.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT100
Marriage Proposal While In-Air

Haha. Flash mob on delta shuttle.

Seriously,
Book a couple of first class seats. Have a nice card like thing with something sappy printed professionally. Give that and the ring to the F flight attendant. Ask her to bring it with the dessert. And bring a good bottle of champagne with you of she says he's.

No need for PA. If she says yes, everyone in F is gonna know from her reaction.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:35 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
I sugegst you search fro the term "proposal"... plenty of threads on this.

Here is one http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...g-onboard.html
And, as there's a relatively fresh thread on the subject in this forum, I combined the OP's current thread with the earlier one. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
Agreed with the sentiments above. It is something that I was considering, given that my girlfriend loves travelling, and I had given it some thought.
  1. Keep it classy - don't do it over the PA. It is something that should be personal, and not a public spectacle.
  2. Be sure that you know she's going to say yes. Otherwise, it's going to be a damn long flight.
  3. Try to involve the crew - have them serve it with dessert or as a special drink. Or you can be creative and hide the ring around the seat somewhere when she goes to the washroom. Great if you are flying in business or first class with lots of storage nooks.
  4. Don't do it on economy class if possible - you're not going to be able to go down on one knee to propose properly!
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
This. I have nothing against a quiet, private proposal in F, but doing it over the PA and involving 200 strangers puts terrible, nasty pressure on the woman by turning a moment of (hopefully) personal joy into a garish public spectacle -- doubly awful if she has doubts. Not considerate, not funny.
The only classier ways to propose would be in a stadium on the jumbotron or in a fast food restaurant.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by brendog
The only classier ways to propose would be in a stadium on the jumbotron or in a fast food restaurant.
+1

I saw the jumbotron proposal backfire once (she said no) and it was not pretty. I felt sorry for all involved.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by Stoughton
Uh, none? It sounds as romatic as proposing in a bus station or a McDonalds. Surely there must be someplace at your destination more appealing than the inside of a plane?
I agree. Proposals on airplanes and in stadiums/arenas should result in automatic rejections.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Don't. There are so many better ways.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:06 pm

Just wanted to chime in to say if I, as a regular passenger, heard a proposal over the PA it would make my day and make me smile. How can anyone say, "Ugh, keep your personal business to yourself." This is what? 3 sentences at most over a PA? Big deal.

That being said, just because this girl "likes airplanes" doesn't mean she wants to get proposed to on a plane. If it's a spur of the moment impulsive thing on his part well then..okay... but to plan the proposal for in flight...first class or not? Just don't see the romance in that.

Maybe this guy likes attention? I don't know. But if he can think of somewhere else to do it she may appreciate that.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:11 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Every time I see a public proposal, I cringe. Maybe it's because I don't like to be the center of attention, but I would be embarrassed if someone proposed to me in such a manner...it would be my personal nightmare.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dchristiva
I agree. Proposals on airplanes and in stadiums/arenas should result in automatic rejections.
Yup. That and you end up on the "No Propose" list.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: AA, DL, US, UA, Starwood
Thanks for all your input fellow FT'ers!
I personally don't thinks it's a bother when people propose in a public setting, doesn't that happen almost every time your at a fine dining restaurant?
My friend is surely receiving a yes - they are already engaged but haven't done the proposal yet (a religious thing).
Probably gonna fly J or F from JFK-LAX.
I will pass along all your "positive" sentiment.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: US Airways/SPG/Club Carlson (Gold)/United/Marriott Rewards Premier (Silver)/Priority Club Platinum
+1

I saw the jumbotron proposal backfire once (she said no) and it was not pretty. I felt sorry for all involved.
Any youtube videos? LOL

Heck how about renting a private plane? Oh wait we not rich here. nvm.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.