Proposing on the plane...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposing on the plane...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:55 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
While I wouldn't be as up in arms as trooper about having to listen to something like this (while finding it equally cheesy); he better make sure she is certain to say yes, and won't feel unduly pressured by having the question asked in an obviously public manner.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:16 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I agree with the above. Propose if he wants but leave the rest of us out of it. That should be an intimate, special moment. Blasting it out over the PA would be pretty tacky. Not to mention disruptive and a bit uncomfortable for all the strangers trapped in the plane with them.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:47 am

Programs: US Airways/SPG/Club Carlson (Gold)/United/Marriott Rewards Premier (Silver)/Priority Club Platinum
WOW so many happy people here. This will for sure encourage the dude. LOL
Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:26 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
I sugegst you search fro the term "proposal"... plenty of threads on this.

Here is one http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...g-onboard.html
Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:45 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I agree with the sentiment that a public place such as an airplane, where people are confined, is not a suitable location for a proposal. It is tacky and disruptive, and many people may feel awkward witnessing the intimate and emotional moments of complete strangers.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:10 am

Marriage Proposal While In-Air

Guess your friend should book the whole cabin. Refundable fare would do it =p
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Actually, sounds like it would be perfect for Southwest Airlines. They get everyone involved, and you won't bother the folks in First Class with your announcements.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:38 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Ugh. It's an intimate moment and a life decision for two people, not a spectator sport. Your friend should ask the girl on a plane or in a stadium if that's what gives them thrills - but not over the PA system. It should be person-to-person. And she should be allowed to accept, think about it, refuse, or whatever she wants without the attention of a crowd of strangers.

I think the public proposal is bad enough in a stadium - but if the partner is embarrassed by the whole thing, at least she can run away from a stadium. On a plane, she's trapped. Double Ugh.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 3:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It happens from time to time. I wouldn't want to do it over the PA, but it can be done.

http://blog.jetblue.com/index.php/20...o-new-heights/
Old Jan 27, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
Just happened about a month ago on a flt of mine from SIN-DXB on EK. They were in Y but the staff allowed him yo propose in the upstairs J bar area . They gave them a flower bouquet , champagne and chocolates. It was cute but i thought slightly unprofessional since all the staff were watching anx taking pictures.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Do a search for this, I remember a few threads on here. The concensus was: "No, don't, it's not romantic, and if she says 'no' it'll be his longest flight."

How much she's in love with airplanes will determine whether the above is true.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Besides, if she says yes then going back to their seat and waiting to land will just be awkward.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Why would your friend want others to know? I could care less and would be at the very least annoyed being bothered with such nonsense. Telling someone you want to marry them over a loudspeaker is totally cheesy and no different than proposing at a monster truck race.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Some years ago , on a flight from AMS to ABZ, a message came over the speakers:
"We have a message for Mr John Smith in seat 2B .... John WILL YOU MARRY ME?"

Whereupon the FA who made the announcement emerged from the cabin door, looking very pretty and presentable indeed. John Smith was still a bit stunned and hadn't quite reacted so a few wits from the back of the plane jumped up and shouted "I WILL! MARRY ME!"

Eventually he said Yes and the other FA came through with champagne.

Just a Fokker 100, Friday night flight home from Amsterdam, everybody tired from a week of technical exhibition but everybody took it in good humour.

Last edited by mandolino; Jan 27, 2014 at 7:36 am Reason: you don't want to see what I mistyped instead of "presentable" !
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:54 am

If he must do it on an airplane, make sure he springs for first class and, if possible, select some seats that would give them the most privacy. As others have said, please strongly discourage him from trying to do it on the PA. It's extremely tacky, annoying to other passengers (whom may be sleeping) and could be very uncomfortable for his girlfriend.

If she is truly that big of a plane fanatic, this could be romantic if they were in adjoining first class suites on EK, or something similar, jetting off to a foreign destination. However if he's thinking first class on the 4:00pm DL ATL to JFK in an A320 is a appropriate setting, he might as well do it on a city bus where he could at least make a quick exit if she says no.

Just my two cents...and you know what they say about opinions. Still, good luck to him!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.