Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Consolidated thread: Seat recline etiquette.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated thread: Seat recline etiquette.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by FatnLoud
Nonsense, my knees are nowhere near the base of the seat in front.
Hallelujah.

See, someone who is actually tall and has real experience, thank you.

[Unduly personalized remark deleted by Moderator.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Sep 1, 2014 at 3:40 pm Reason: Per FT Rules.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 2:34 pm

Easy solution, the airlines should simply lock all seats in the upright position. Back in the day, when these seats were designed, the seating had much more room.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
Originally Posted by elusive1
Easy solution, the airlines should simply lock all seats in the upright position. Back in the day, when these seats were designed, the seating had much more room.
+1 ^
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:48 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note

This thread is starting to delve into personal attacks against other members. FlyerTalk rules prohibit this. Surely, this topic can be discussed without such attacks……. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
Geez you really love your physics don't you.
As a matter of fact....

My knees are just under table, you seem to have them 20cm off the floor.
If your feet are flat on the floor that might be. Extend your feet under the seat in front of you.

Everyone on here seems to be loaded!
Loaded meaning "lots of money" or the other type? The thing is that we all have to make choices in life. Sometimes we have freedom to make any choice, sometimes there are things in life that restrict our choices (like money). Some people who can afford business class won't pay for it because it doesn't seem to be worth the cost to them.

Point of all this is that we make our choice for whatever reason then we accept the results of our choice. Life can be really frustrating otherwise.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:19 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Loaded meaning "lots of money" or the other type? The thing is that we all have to make choices in life. Sometimes we have freedom to make any choice, sometimes there are things in life that restrict our choices (like money). Some people who can afford business class won't pay for it because it doesn't seem to be worth the cost to them.

Point of all this is that we make our choice for whatever reason then we accept the results of our choice. Life can be really frustrating otherwise.
And he hits the nail on the head.

Lack of money or an unwillingness to spend it is not an excuse for forcing concessions on other folks who have nothing to do with your predicament. You can "ask" for a bit of charity from others but they owe you nothing if refused.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
News in SF is talking about yet another flight, this time a Delta flight, that was forced to land yesterday because of a fight over seat recline.

Something in the water these days.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
And he hits the nail on the head.

Lack of money or an unwillingness to spend it is not an excuse for forcing concessions on other folks who have nothing to do with your predicament. You can "ask" for a bit of charity from others but they owe you nothing if refused.
Exactly. Like beggars claiming they have a "right" to your spare change.

News in SF is talking about yet another flight, this time a Delta flight, that was forced to land yesterday because of a fight over seat recline.

Something in the water these days.

If the airlines want this to stop they should just add "Feel free to recline your seats" to the announcement they already make (at least on UA) "If you would like extra legroom, seats in economy plus are available for an additional fee."
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomA
If the airlines want this to stop they should just add "Feel free to recline your seats" to the announcement they already make (at least on UA) "If you would like extra legroom, seats in economy plus are available for an additional fee."
^^
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:43 am

^^
A talking head on CNN said basically the same thing. The airlines need to have a policy on this and announce it.

For the future: I was on a flight recently that had new seats that--I don't know how to describe it better--recline by moving the lower part of the seat forward. In this case, when you recline, you reduce your own leg room.

Though I STRONGLY disagree with those that believe that people don't have the right to recline simply because the person behind happens to be tall, I do think this is a perfect solution to the problem. As long as everyone knows what they are getting into before they buy their tickets--fine.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I feel that part of the blame does rest on airlines that have reduced seat pitch in order to squeeze another row into their aircraft, not to mention reduced width to accommodate more seats per row. With the reduced pitch, a 3" recline becomes far less comfortable for the people behind than it was intended by the seat designers.

However, it is what it is. A reclining seat is part of what you pay for when you buy the ticket, unless you buy one in a row ahead of the exit row, or on one of the few airlines that don't have reclining seats. If it wasn't, the airlines would quite simply lock the seats or install permanent knee defenders. And sitting behind a reclining seat is part of what you paid for, unless you get an exit or bulkhead row, or fly an airline without reclining seats.

I'm 6'-4" tall and weight about 280 pounds. I no longer fit in a standard seat. These are my problems, not the problems of the people around me. I solve both problems by buying two seats, which gives me lateral room, and enough space to turn my legs slightly and avoid knee squeeze ahead of me.

Shirts and pants that are big enough to fit me cost more than smaller shirts and pants. Airline space big enough to fit me costs more than space which fits smaller people. This is the cost of being me. I hate having to fork over extra money, and I certainly wish the airlines would deploy seats big enough to handle me at no extra charge, but until they do, my knee length and my shoulder width are such that I require extra space, at extra cost, to be comfortable when I fly.

I don't demand that those in front of me refrain from reclining, and I will not refrain from reclining my own seat, because it's both necessary for my comfort and part of what I paid for when I bought the ticket.

I paid to sit behind a reclining seat. If I want to sit behind a non-reclining seat, I'll sit in an exit or bulkhead row. I'd not only get extra knee room, but no recline. I choose not to do this because I prefer having a real seat ahead of me with a pocket and a tray table.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
I feel that part of the blame does rest on airlines that have reduced seat pitch in order to squeeze another row into their aircraft, not to mention reduced width to accommodate more seats per row. With the reduced pitch, a 3" recline becomes far less comfortable for the people behind than it was intended by the seat designers.

However, it is what it is. A reclining seat is part of what you pay for when you buy the ticket, unless you buy one in a row ahead of the exit row, or on one of the few airlines that don't have reclining seats. If it wasn't, the airlines would quite simply lock the seats or install permanent knee defenders. And sitting behind a reclining seat is part of what you paid for, unless you get an exit or bulkhead row, or fly an airline without reclining seats.

I'm 6'-4" tall and weight about 280 pounds. I no longer fit in a standard seat. These are my problems, not the problems of the people around me. I solve both problems by buying two seats, which gives me lateral room, and enough space to turn my legs slightly and avoid knee squeeze ahead of me.

Shirts and pants that are big enough to fit me cost more than smaller shirts and pants. Airline space big enough to fit me costs more than space which fits smaller people. This is the cost of being me. I hate having to fork over extra money, and I certainly wish the airlines would deploy seats big enough to handle me at no extra charge, but until they do, my knee length and my shoulder width are such that I require extra space, at extra cost, to be comfortable when I fly.

I don't demand that those in front of me refrain from reclining, and I will not refrain from reclining my own seat, because it's both necessary for my comfort and part of what I paid for when I bought the ticket.

I paid to sit behind a reclining seat. If I want to sit behind a non-reclining seat, I'll sit in an exit or bulkhead row. I'd not only get extra knee room, but no recline. I choose not to do this because I prefer having a real seat ahead of me with a pocket and a tray table.
^
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Well my horror story showed how the tall person behind can be just as selfish!

I was on a flight home from Egypt - around 5 hrs and 30 mins, on a charter airline , so the space was on the tight side to start with. Once in the air, the person in front of me reclined and the top of their seat was now only a few inches from my face.

I am fairly claustrophobic and have panic attacks when I feel closed in, but I can keep it under control most of the time, using coping strategies and don't usually bother fellow passengers, as I try to get bulkhead/ exit row window seats (happily paying for the privilege) so I don't have folk reclining into me, and I can look out the window if I start to feel boxed in.

On this flight, we had no choice whatsoever of where we sat, the check in staff literally filled the plane from the front to back A-F, with no regard at all for family groups. I was in an aisle seat and my then 12 year old daughter was across the aisle from me. No one around us was prepared to swap with either of us to let me have the window, which was their privilege, so I had settled down to make the best of it.

Anyway, now you have the background, when the seat in front reclined into me - I attempted to recline my seat to maintain the space between the seat back in front of me. However, as I tried to push back (slowly and gently) I found that my seat wouldn't move. my daughter said "Mummy - that man's pushing your seat," and when I looked round, the not overly tall man behind me was indeed pushing against my seat stopping the recline.

I asked him to leave my seat alone as I needed to recline it, and he replied that I couldn't as he was too tall and had nowhere to put his legs as he was 6ft tall. I hadn't felt his knees digging into my seat before the recline, and in any case, I have a 33 inch inside leg myself, so I had no hesitation in telling him that I had legs just as long as his, and as I suffered claustrophobia, without the recline, I would shortly start going into a panic attack as I was too close to the seat in front. I told him that the only reason I wanted to recline was because I had been reclined into myself. He again told me I couldn't recline as he would be too uncomfortable, and by this time, the cabin crew had come to see what the fuss was. I explained about the claustrophobia, and fortunately, one of the bulkhead passengers at the front kindly swapped seats with me. So the situation was resolved as far as I was concerned. However, when going back to check on my daughter mid flight, I was amazed to see that the person who refused to let the person in front of him recline, was now himself sleeping with his own seat reclined back as far as it went. My saviour had also managed to get his seat reclined, - he was a big bloke himself, so not only did he help me out by swapping seats, he also didn't let himself be cowed by the bully!

Moral of the story - if you are going to complain about other people reclining - think about not reclining your own seat - it's hypocritical if nothing else!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Has there ever been an FT poll on reclining? I searched but could not find one. I think everything has been said, but I do not have a feel for where most people come out on the subject, and think a poll would be a good idea. How about something like:

Reclining is always okay, just try not to jerk back too quickly
Reclining is okay only on long-haul flights
Reclining is okay only in E+
Reclining is never okay if the person behind you objects
I fly only B or F to avoid this question
Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Artpen100
Has there ever been an FT poll on reclining? I searched but could not find one. I think everything has been said, but I do not have a feel for where most people come out on the subject, and think a poll would be a good idea. How about something like:

Reclining is always okay, just try not to jerk back too quickly
Reclining is okay only on long-haul flights
Reclining is okay only in E+
Reclining is never okay if the person behind you objects
I fly only B or F to avoid this question
If there was, my vote would be #2, only on long haul flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.