Wiki Posts
Search

EWR EZE UA847 Canceled every other day

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2012, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM, JPMorgan Reserve, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP
EWR EZE UA847 Canceled every other day

I was originally very excited about the direct flight from Newark to Buenos Aires because i pretty much always had trouble going through IAD. I need to point out here, that i usually flew the CO route through IAH and never had any issues with the flight departing.

My wife is currently in Argentina and the her outbound flight was 4 hours delayed due to crew arriving late and some part missing which was not available in EWR. This week every other day the flight is canceled even though the plans are pretty full.

Is it the fact that they are flying old United planes to EZE that cause the issue, or the fact that crew for that flight is still located in IAD? No other route i know of is canceled so frequently, there the CO52 flight from IAH departs every night without issues.

Any thoughts????
Old Jun 21, 2012, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by hawata
I was originally very excited about the direct flight from Newark to Buenos Aires because i pretty much always had trouble going through IAD. I need to point out here, that i usually flew the CO route through IAH and never had any issues with the flight departing.

My wife is currently in Argentina and the her outbound flight was 4 hours delayed due to crew arriving late and some part missing which was not available in EWR. This week every other day the flight is canceled even though the plans are pretty full.

Is it the fact that they are flying old United planes to EZE that cause the issue, or the fact that crew for that flight is still located in IAD? No other route i know of is canceled so frequently, there the CO52 flight from IAH departs every night without issues.

Any thoughts????

It's all of the above.

It's a UA flight flying out of a CO hub. So you mentioned they couldn't find a part at EWR. Not surprising, since it's not a UA base, and CO probably doesn't stock all the parts needed for UA. Then since it's a UA flight, they don't exactly have a spare UA plane lying around, whereas UA might have had better flexibility at ORD or IAD in that they either might have had an idle aircraft or could have cancelled a less significant flight on similar equipment.

Also what happens is the flight gets late and they run into crew timeout issues. It's a CO hub, so there's probably fewer available UA crew (though UA does have a JFK base, so not sure if they can pull from there).

Basically it's part of the fun of flying two airlines marketed as one.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa
It's all of the above.

It's a UA flight flying out of a CO hub. So you mentioned they couldn't find a part at EWR. Not surprising, since it's not a UA base, and CO probably doesn't stock all the parts needed for UA. Then since it's a UA flight, they don't exactly have a spare UA plane lying around, whereas UA might have had better flexibility at ORD or IAD in that they either might have had an idle aircraft or could have cancelled a less significant flight on similar equipment.

Also what happens is the flight gets late and they run into crew timeout issues. It's a CO hub, so there's probably fewer available UA crew (though UA does have a JFK base, so not sure if they can pull from there).

Basically it's part of the fun of flying two airlines marketed as one.
So why not simply use a CO 767 with CO crew and all is fine... its the only plane at EWR with the old UA colors anyhow....
Old Jun 21, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
So why not simply use a CO 767 with CO crew and all is fine... its the only plane at EWR with the old UA colors anyhow....
<joke>They're too busy sharpening their teeth</joke>
Old Jun 21, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
This is some interesting information. I'll be taking this flight way out in November so we'll see if United can leave me pleasantly surprised and sort out this situation within the next 6 months.

As hawata pointed out, logic would govern that both the people to fly the aircraft and the parts to maintain the aircraft should be located in the same place, especially for a long-haul flight. I'll be cheering (hopefully not in vain) for logic to win out.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
846/847 was a mess in the IAD days too

A few years ago (2005-2007), my family and I flew 846/847 somewhat regularly. Experienced a few cancellations and long delays due a whole assortment of reasons: maintenance, ATC outages in Brazil and Argentina, crew timing out (departing EZE quite late due to the crew's inbound flight being severely delayed).

Sounds like this flight is still a bit of a mess.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by channa

To the best of my knowledge, EWR-EZE is now staffed by the s-UA JFK base, at least on the flight deck. There are now enough internationally-qualified B756 crews to operate the various 'cross-fleeting' flights (EWR-EZE/GVA/ZRH, soon IST). Note that there is no JFK 777 pilot base, yet.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
We are on this EWR-EZE in F, at Xmas, burning miles.

Hope they keep the 2 class 767-3000 on the route and not the CO 767s!

We have flown this (paid - when I trusted UA to give them money!) a few times a year out of IAD and even then there were often issues.

Last year the plane had nearly landed at EZE when pilot turned back and we landed at MIA .. not a station UA has any It'l presence at.

Total chaos reined supreme on that, and totally messed up on onward flights of course.

Jan this year we sat on Tarmac for hours at EZE while the pilot tested the PA system.

F and C could hear him but coach could not, so at 3am he abandoned ship and had whole plane bussed downtown EZE - real fun. Another total shambles getting out of there and right back to SYD next day.

If it were not for the GS 800 line we'd have taken a week I think to get out of there.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
There's a reason why the PMUA customers nicknamed these 767-300's the ghetto birds.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:46 am

Location: Kapalua, Maui- just paradise and Sun Valley, Idaho!!
Programs: Mileage Plus 1K .96MM (1MM this year-humm)
On that routing 11-30 but going EWR_IAH_EZE. Booked Y and waitlisted to BF using miles and co-pay. Showing 22 available seats- I wonder what our (2) chances are to get upgraded??? We are currently both Gold.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

I also hope that they will use new 767 300 by the end of the year with CO crew...

I am going in November and for Christmas back to EZE both on the 847 flight... But was seriously tempted to go through IAH, and not go direct, just for the peace of mind...

Cheers

Originally Posted by lapeter
On that routing 11-30 but going EWR_IAH_EZE. Booked Y and waitlisted to BF using miles and co-pay. Showing 22 available seats- I wonder what our (2) chances are to get upgraded??? We are currently both Gold.
are you on a Y fare or restricted?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 21, 2012 at 2:09 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I also hope that they will use new 767 300 by the end of the year with CO crew...

I am going in November and for Christmas back to EZE both on the 847 flight... But was seriously tempted to go through IAH, and not go direct, just for the peace of mind...

Cheers
767-300 would be UA crew.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Last year the plane had nearly landed at EZE when pilot turned back and we landed at MIA .. not a station UA has any It'l presence at.
I'm thinking you didn't "nearly land at EZE" and turn back to MIA. The plane does not carry enough extra fuel to make the flight back to MIA (which would be about 8 hours from EZE). Were you even at the South American coast before turning back?

-RM
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: Back to UA with a bit of Hyatt and some Marriott
Because the market has enough F traffic to justify a three-class product. If they put the sCO birds on it, they lose that premium.

Originally Posted by mike_plat
There's a reason why the PMUA customers nicknamed these 767-300's the ghetto birds.
No, the ghetto bird is the old 763 domestic config with it's narrower-than-normal-domestic F seats.

The PMUA 763s are just fine and were actually sought-after compared to the 777s for a while because they got IPTE reconfigs first.

The issue, as has been stated, is that there isn't the same maintenance/parts capability at EWR for these sUA birds. So anything that goes wrong is the same as having it go wrong at an outstation.

Last edited by Driving by DCA; Jun 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Was this a Brazilian or Argentine ATC issue, from time to time Brazil and/or Argentina's ATCs experience black outs grounding all US-Deep South America flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.