Flying with an ear infection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with an ear infection

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2012, 6:37 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
I often get sinus infections that cause me problems with my ears, to the point where flying (especially landing) was painful since my ears wouldn't adjust to the pressure. Then I discovered Afrin (or local equivilant). It's magic. I can't promise if it will help with an ear infection the way it helps with a sinus infection causing ear problems, but give it a try at home and see it it works for you.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 6:56 pm

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
Originally Posted by id_est
Been in the same situation. Your doctor says you're good to go, go. Take the meds and use the earplanes exactly as directed. Earplanes really help to regulate the changes in pressure. You'll be okay.
I can second this based on experience.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 7:05 pm

I've had 4 sinus infections since December 2011 and generally fly weekly. I caught a pretty bad one during Christmas that left me hoarse for over a month and the pressure in my ears was so bad it actually caused in ear Shure headphone to pop out from the pressure. If you can get your hands on something like Predisone (RX only) to help the swelling in your ear try to.

This is what I was told to do. 24 hrs before flight take a decongestant like Sudafed 12hour (take 2 doses). The day of the flight use something like Afrin to dry out our nose and clear your sinuses. When you land take another dose of Sudafed and then use a nasal rinse to clear everything out, ENT told me to not use a Netti pot, but to use something with positive pressure.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Doctors are human and can make mistakes like anyone else. What they say is not gospel. He doesn't feel the pressure in your ear and is less familiar with it than you are..

I flew once in better condition than you are now. I only had a head cold, and it was a short flight. I went deaf for 3 days as a result.

If you are in pain and feel pressure inside your ear, you really should not fly.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 1:22 pm

Did the people who had problems use the recommended things such as Sudafed, Afrin, and EarPlanes? I've never tried those before, so I'm hoping they will provide enough protection. Last time I flew with a sinus infection I didn't use any of those.

If you have protection, such as EarPlanes, which prevent the rapid pressure changes in your ear, shouldn't you be fine once you reach cruising altitude? Is it the overall pressure at cruising altitude that's the problem or just then change in pressure when going up and down? Is being in a pressurized cabin in the sky that different to your ears than being on the ground?

Thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2012, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by elektrobank
Did the people who had problems use the recommended things such as Sudafed, Afrin, and EarPlanes? I've never tried those before, so I'm hoping they will provide enough protection. Last time I flew with a sinus infection I didn't use any of those.

If you have protection, such as EarPlanes, which prevent the rapid pressure changes in your ear, shouldn't you be fine once you reach cruising altitude? Is it the overall pressure at cruising altitude that's the problem or just then change in pressure when going up and down? Is being in a pressurized cabin in the sky that different to your ears than being on the ground?

Thanks!
If the main symptom is pressure in the ear, afrin will not alleviate it. Something with psudoephrine may.

Generally, the issue is ascent and descent, especially descent where the cabin goes from a lower pressure at cruise to something closer to ground pressure. This increases the squeeze on your ear canals from outside and is why even when you are healthy you need to "pop" your ears. If your ears are clogged you cannot pop them and the pressure creates a vaccum which is painful. On ascent the higher pressure in your ears creates an outward pressure like a beer can, which is also painful. Because they are clogged you cannot adjust fast enough and you get pain and perhaps temporary hearing loss.

Like I said, I went deaf for 3 days after flying with a cold and it was a terrible experience. Painful too! I couldn't imagine what it would be like with a full on ear infection.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 9:13 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
I went to YYZ on Porter in April (so technically, YTZ) and have had a stuffy nose since then. I went to the doctor about a month ago and was told that I indeed had a sinus infection, and antibiotics got rid of the main symptoms of that, but I still can't breathe through my nose. It's literally been two months since my nose was clear.

For the record, my ears are fine - since I had tons of ear infections as a child, I can pop my ears from merely "pushing out slightly." I don't have to swallow or hold my nose. I haven't had ear problems in altitude for as long as I can remember. Also, I am on two allergy medicines a day, and I've been taking them.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Could something strange have happened from flying on a prop plane? How in the world will I ever be able to breathe through my nose again?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:03 am

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you've chosen NOT to trust your doctor's advice but TO trust the advice of random people posting in an internet forum?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.