Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intentionally missing last leg of connecting flight on one-way flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2012, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Intentionally missing last leg of connecting flight on one-way flight

The three of us in my family are trying to fly a ONE WAY flight from Baltimore to Chicago in a few weeks. We found a very cheap flight that goes BWI to ORD to MSN, but flying to MSN means we would have another 4 hour bus ride back to Chicago. Obviously, we're not thrilled about that.

I know that intentionally missing a connecting flight causes the rest of the reservation to be cancelled, but that would not affect us because it is a one-way flight. So, my question is if there are any other consequences of skipping the last segment? I have heard it is possible for an airline to rescind frequent flyer status, but I don't know if this actually happens in reality.

Any feedback is much appreciated.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by dragen owner
The three of us in my family are trying to fly a ONE WAY flight from Baltimore to Chicago in a few weeks. We found a very cheap flight that goes BWI to ORD to MSN, but flying to MSN means we would have another 4 hour bus ride back to Chicago. Obviously, we're not thrilled about that.

I know that intentionally missing a connecting flight causes the rest of the reservation to be cancelled, but that would not affect us because it is a one-way flight. So, my question is if there are any other consequences of skipping the last segment? I have heard it is possible for an airline to rescind frequent flyer status, but I don't know if this actually happens in reality.

Any feedback is much appreciated.
There are tons of threads about this on FT. Search for the term "Hidden City
and ye shall find.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You're not planning to check any bags, are you?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 2:43 pm

These kinds of questions pop up on FT all the time. Simply google the title of your post and you will see at least 4 threads that can help you.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Hidden City...ahhh

Thanks for the replies. I had already tried searching for info before posting the question, but I didn't know the term "hidden city," which is probably why I did not find anything. So, I will give that a try now.

Also, I forgot to mention, I am NOT checking any bags.

Appreciate the help everyone.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Possible, but unlikely. It is a violation of the terms you agree to when buying the ticket. A few folks have reported airlines going after them, after many repeated occurrences.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Do make sure you tell the gate agent at ORD, so that you don't delay the flight by making them call for you over the PA.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by stifle
Do make sure you tell the gate agent at ORD, so that you don't delay the flight by making them call for you over the PA.
NO!!!!!! Definitely don't do this as it will alert the airline that you are intentionally missing the flight, and make them more likely to go after you for the extra charges.

I suspect stifle is trying to tease you by suggesting this.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 4:54 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
take an airline you don't have miles with

if you can.

and if you can't, DON'T put your FF # in the rez.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: None anymore
Also hope there is no IRROPS that day and they don't re-route you to MSN via some other airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.