Changing US return destination after international travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing US return destination after international travel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2012, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Definitely not illegal, but could be a violation of the conditions of carriage, and you could get the travel agent a large ADM if you don't use all coupons (i.e. individual flights) as booked.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 6:56 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Yaatri
The travel agent didn't have to lie. The TA could have told the OP what it would cost. I suspect there is something the travel agent can't do, which he is trying to hide. Maybe the TA sold a consolidator ticket to the OP and charged published fare.
I don't think the travel agent lied. People use the word illegal incorrectly all the time, and I wouldn't assume that the TA did something illegal such as selling a consolidator ticket and charging the published fare.

I would assume that the TA sold a restricted ticket, and any unilateral change on the part of the traveler would violet the contract of carriage. Many people incorrectly use the term "illegal" to describe a violation of contract terms even though the word is incorrect.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 11:48 pm

Can the ticket be changed to open-jaw after departure (return to DTW, not LAX), by paying the change fee?

If not, why not?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Can the ticket be changed to open-jaw after departure (return to DTW, not LAX), by paying the change fee?

If not, why not?
Don't know for that ticket, but I've had to do it in the past (not cancellation, but full-on routing change -- was going back into SFO, ended up going back into JFK.) No idea if the cabotage issue would apply for the OP, as my own ticket change was on a US carrier.

Last edited by nkedel; Jun 5, 2012 at 3:47 pm Reason: typoed "JFL" for "JFK"
Old Jun 5, 2012, 3:26 pm

I don't think cabotage is a problem - AC site just let me book open jaw from US to MXP returning to a different US city than the departure

Originally Posted by nkedel
Don't know for that ticket, but I've had to do it in the past (not cancellation, but full-on routing change -- was going back into SFO, ended up going back into JFL.) No idea if the cabotage issue would apply for the OP, as my own ticket change was on a US carrier.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stevenshev
Maybe point is that it will trigger a refare of the whole thing? Personally, I'd wait until after departure, and call the ticketing airline directly to change the return. But it helps to be savvy and understand the inherent risks of doing that.

Regardless, nothing illegal about any of these scenarios.
The TA has suggested I wait until after I depart to make the change, but I don't understand what the advantages of this are. I would think that the fares would continue to go up and further, I couldn't be assured of ending up with flight availability. He keeps pressing for me to return to LAX a day earlier, but that just means I get one day less in Rome and that I still have 12 extra, unnecessary flight hours.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I suspect that the travel agent is worried about a chargeback from the airline, if LAX-ROM-YUL is more expensive than LAX-ROM-LAX.
Does that happen?
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Unfortunately you have got bad advice. There is nothing illegal about not flying from YUL- LAX sectors. Nor should you buy another FCO/ROM-DTW ticket.
Here are your choices. None of the choices you have is free.
  1. Buy one way ticket YUL-DTW-LAX with a stopover in in DTW
  2. Buy two one way tickets YUL-DTW and DTW-LAX
  3. Change your return to ROM-DTW-LAX with a stop over (However long you need it) in DTW.
  4. Cancell your LAX-FCO/ROM, pay the cancellation penalty, and with the credit, plus more$$, buy two round trips, LAX-DTW-LAX and DTW-FCO/ROM-DTW.

If you choose options 1 or 2, when you collect your bags in YUL for customs, just don't check them back in. Check-in for your YUL-DTW flight instead. It's absolutely legal.
Airlines don't like throw-away ticketing, if you do it deliberately to deprive the airline of revenue on an itinerary you really need to travel, but book cheaper one and throw-away a part of that ticket. You have not sold your future flexibility to the airline just because you had bought a ticket with a fixed itinerary. If you fly YUL-DTW and DTW-LAX on a different airline, they airline that sold you the original ticket would never know.
THERE WILL BE NO INTERNATIONAL INCIDENT.
Thank you, Option 2 was what I was planning. But I was getting warnings about "international incident" and post-9/11 watch list additions.

I'll look into my YUL-DTW flight options and make a decision. This would have been even easier if I'd flown through Toronto - there seem to be no direct YUL-DTW flights.

thanks!
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by amybang
Thank you, Option 2 was what I was planning. But I was getting warnings about "international incident" and post-9/11 watch list additions.

I'll look into my YUL-DTW flight options and make a decision. This would have been even easier if I'd flown through Toronto - there seem to be no direct YUL-DTW flights.

thanks!
Delta seems to be the only carrier I can find that has a non-stop YUL-DTW flight, and a bit pricey at $700+.

Otherwise, it looks like AC will go through Toronto or Chicago. If you want to go the long way, AA will take you YUL-MIA-DTW
Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Delta seems to be the only carrier I can find that has a non-stop YUL-DTW flight, and a bit pricey at $700+.

Otherwise, it looks like AC will go through Toronto or Chicago. If you want to go the long way, AA will take you YUL-MIA-DTW
I don't mind going a little out of the way, but all the way to MIA seems a bit out there. I might as well come back to LAX.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 3:39 pm

You can change your flight plan from reservation center. You'll have to pay some extra charges for this and if the fare difference amount is higher than original fare then upgrade must be paid but if the new flight fare is lower than the original paid then no refund will be available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.