Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Please, please, please...take off your backpack while boarding

Old Jan 25, 2012, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, AC E, HH Diamond

Do people not realize that while wearing a backpack they are significantly longer and that every time they rotate their body to put luggage in the overhead bin, or turn to ask aunt Mary if she brought her medication or see if their child in tow is indeed following, that their backpack is in fact whacking the person sitting in the aisle seat in the head? Apparently not, since I get hit in the head on just about every flight I take (or if I am lucky and see if coming, have to move my head to avoid getting hit).

So, please, please, please...take off your backpack while boarding.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 5:41 pm

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
Amen, but you are preaching to the choir. If I'm in the aisle seat I just keep my hand up to ward off errant backpacks.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Prem Exec, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Ditto, I usually do the same
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
Totally agree

I am almost always on the Aisle and the number of totally oblivious individuals that board and "turn"...is astounding....often not even realizing they have whacked someone.
I will shout out to them along with keeping my hand and "guard Up" as they traverse the aisle...not exactly a relaxing scenario.
The perk of being able to board early and secure your overhead space is greatly diminished by these buffoons.
Sadly they are everywhere these days....elevators, grocery aisles, stairwells.....
I have on occasion commented to a few of those who do right (a rare few) who properly remove the backpack outside the entrance to the plane and carry it low...directly in front of them... considerate of others and aware of their environment.
It is all a matter of thinking beyond yourself and what only pertains to only you.....couple that with an electronic distraction....Give it a head's up.
Oblivion...not an admirable quality.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
I carry a backpack to work and am always aware of it and take it off entering elevators or places where it will be a nuisance. Travel with it too.

Also it has been suggested by some experts that on Int'l trips an American business person is safer carrying a nondescript backpack rather than a Tumi briefcase.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I usually have a (small) backpack that holds my laptop in addition to my roller or actual bag. Before entering the plane, I wear the backpack frontwards and roll the roller in front of me down the aisle. I think that's a good solution, as I can see where exactly my bags are going.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
I carry a smaller backpack, but those guys with the BIG ones hit me too. Not only on planes, but also on trains, buses and anywhere that's tight. Ladies with mega-purses do the same!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:28 pm

Or any other thing that sticks out! I usually push back on backpack type things but the other day I was whacked by a baby on someone's back! I really couldn't elbow or push back or shove a baby back. I did exclaim excuse me and the woman turned around and whacked someone else with the baby while looking at me. You have to be pretty tough to sit in the aisle seat sometimes. I get bumped by bags, backpacks, purses, big totes, any kind of objects people carry down the aisle with them while sitting in the aisle seat and now a baby in some sort of on the back baby tote. I was hit in the head by flying boots the other day, fortunately they didn't have any feet in them.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 8:32 pm
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
Originally Posted by bobsyouruncle
Do people not realize that while wearing a backpack they are significantly longer and that every time they rotate their body to put luggage in the overhead bin, or turn to ask aunt Mary if she brought her medication or see if their child in tow is indeed following, that their backpack is in fact whacking the person sitting in the aisle seat in the head? Apparently not, since I get hit in the head on just about every flight I take (or if I am lucky and see if coming, have to move my head to avoid getting hit).

So, please, please, please...take off your backpack while boarding.
Keep alert and just shove them when they are approaching you.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheCount2
I carry a backpack to work and am always aware of it and take it off entering elevators or places where it will be a nuisance. Travel with it too.

Also it has been suggested by some experts that on Int'l trips an American business person is safer carrying a nondescript backpack rather than a Tumi briefcase.
Yeah, backpacks say "budget traveler", Tumi says "well-off business traveler". Who is the bad guy going to target??
Old Jan 25, 2012, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Daawgon
I carry a smaller backpack, but those guys with the BIG ones hit me too. Not only on planes, but also on trains, buses and anywhere that's tight. Ladies with mega-purses do the same!
If you're wearing a pack you should learn to be careful about turns. It doesn't need to be crowded conditions, carelessness with your pack can easily hit traveling companions even if you're in the middle of nowhere.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 8:46 pm

Today on the AA ORD-DFW flight, the Chicago-based crew actually requested people who were carrying backpacks, duffles, large purses carry them in front in order to be considerate to other passengers. Much props!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
When I use a backpack, I'm always quite careful not to bump it into people. But by the same token, I wish people behind me in the checkin line wouldn't walk so close to my pack that they bump into it which, of course, means bumping into me as well. Also, it's not unusual for people in line pulling a roller bag to suddenly back up enough to bang the bag into the foot and/or shin of the person behind them.

Bottom line: everybody should kindly realize that all their luggage occupies space. Thank you.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 3:04 am

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Yeah, backpacks say "budget traveler", Tumi says "well-off business traveler". Who is the bad guy going to target??
This is precisely why I leave the Tumi bag at home and carry an old ragged backpack for international travel. Domestic is fine with nicer stuff, but going to some countries I prefer to look as poor as possible..
Old Jan 26, 2012, 5:31 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ DM+, CX DM, LH SEN
I've seen seated passengers take one in the face by a backpack carrying idiot so many times! It's one of the reasons why I always get a window seat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.