Reload this Page >

Please, please, please...take off your backpack while boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please, please, please...take off your backpack while boarding

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2012, 5:29 am

In addition to the annoying backpacks, I have sometimes tripped over the rollers that people will pull almost horizontally to the ground behind them, extending their footprint three or four feet longer than expected. You're kind of looking ahead mentally adjusting your queueing space and not expecting it. In tight lines I try to push mine if I can, or pull it more vertically.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Yeah, backpacks say "budget traveler", Tumi says "well-off business traveler". Who is the bad guy going to target??
This is why I donīt carry my fanny pack abroad. I donīt want to be targeted as a well-off tourist. And yes, I always take it off while boarding.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:00 am

Programs: UA Gold
Saddest thing is that it doesn't matter at times if someone is holding it in front of them, when they turn to talk/look at whoever is behind them you still get hit while sitting in the aisle. Of course it is usually the shoulder or arm instead of the head in that instance, so there is a plus.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: JMB Diamond, Hilton Silver, UAL
Great post. I prefer the aisle seat too so this is a common gripe of mine. When it happens now, I just give the backpack a hearty shove back towards the weearer, which usually makes them aware of what they are doing.

Last edited by rochel; Jan 26, 2012 at 8:44 am Reason: Poor spelling
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:09 am
Suspended

Indeed, this is Kettle behavior. I have learned to see it coming though and can avoid getting blindsided.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by Studio54
one of the reasons why I always get a window seat.
+1
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer
This is why I donīt carry my fanny pack abroad. I donīt want to be targeted as a well-off tourist. And yes, I always take it off while boarding.
Why do you think a fanny pack marks you as a well-off tourist?

Besides, for travel I have a Pac-Safe version, pickpockets will have a hard time with it.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by rochel
I just give the backpack a hearty shove back towards the weearer, which usually makes them aware of what they are doing.
Sort of... I sometimes get a confused "Sorry", as if to say.... "Gosh, did I hit you or something??? how did that ever happen?"

I often travel with a small backpack myself, but just after my Boarding Pass is scanned and as I am beginning down the jetway, I take off the pack and carry it with one hand down in front of me so I know exactly where it is what is happening with it.

Last edited by 6P&E; Jan 27, 2012 at 11:38 am
Old Jan 26, 2012, 1:36 pm

I am most likely guilty of clobbering more than one poor soul on the aisle. My beloved walks with a cane (she always wanted to ride a camel). I schlep her carry-on. So my carry-on has to be a backpack.

Usually my BP is small - shaving kit, meds, and a change of knickers. But on a dive trip, it contains the stuff I can't arrive without - regulator, mask, dive computers. Heavy and clumsy.

We will be in 4A & B on our way to Bonaire next month. So I apologize in advance. Come to think, the only reason to go to Bonaire is to dive. So I expect a little slack from fellow pax. I 'spect you will all have carry-on bags as heavy as mine.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
When I take a backpack with me on the plane, I usually take it off at the airplane door so I don't smack people around with it.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
Or just don't turn/move around so much.. walk in a straight line. remove bag. put in overhead. sit..
no problems..
Old Jan 26, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer
This is why I donīt carry my fanny pack abroad. I donīt want to be targeted as a well-off tourist.
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Why do you think a fanny pack marks you as a well-off tourist?
+1...if you have a fanny pack, people aren't thinking you are "well-off"
Old Jan 26, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by rochel
Great post. I prefer the aisle seat too so this is a common gripe of mine. When it happens now, I just give the backpack a hearty shove back towards the weearer, which usually makes them aware of what they are doing.
Sometimes I will yell "Ow!" but the offender is usually oblivious.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:56 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Painful as it is, I still prefer it to people trailling their rollaboards - those things are dangerous. I am a backpack user but i'm aware of how much space it takes up and I make allowances - which would include not wearing it on a plane
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vmsea
Or just don't turn/move around so much.. walk in a straight line. remove bag. put in overhead. sit..
no problems..
Exactly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.