Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sitting in F

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2012, 2:55 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Now, as a business owner whom watches expenses very carefully, I am constantly reminded of a quote I read by Wolfgang Puck many years ago. He said, "You have to operate very lean, no matter what the current status of your business, or you will be out of business very quickly." I've lived by that credo for quite some time now. That's my style. I don't ever pay for FIRST or BUSINESS any longer. I stopped that practice about 10 years ago. Before then, I flew First and Business ALL the time. Now, I chose to put my money elsewhere. Also, I fly Southwest a bit, and don't have to worry about such upgrades. Along these lines I am always reminded of a peripheral acquaintance whom is extremely wealthy. He could literally buy and airline if he wished. He always flies Southwest in the states. He said to me when I asked him why "Southwest", that he flies them because, "They are FUN to fly and they take me where I want to go quickly and inexpensively. Why not?"

I've been upgraded to FIRST once in the last 10 years (to the best of my recollection). It was at the end of a very hard week. A family member had just died, and I was headed home. I remember the gate agent said to me as I was checking in, "You look weary. Hang on. There you go, enjoy your flight." He handed me a First Class boarding pass. I'll never forget that.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HeIsAudiHereUnlessHesFlying
"it's only about $15 mil a year"
$1700/hr running nonstop
anyone know what usually runs $15mm a year?

and obvious question - no charter available?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 28, 2012 at 10:11 pm
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:07 pm
Suspended

[QUOTE=RobbieRunner;17905288]Now, as a business owner whom watches expenses very carefully, I am constantly reminded of a quote I read by Wolfgang Puck many years ago. He said, "You have to operate very lean, no matter what the current status of your business, or you will be out of business very quickly." I've lived by that credo for quite some time now. That's my style. I don't ever pay for FIRST or BUSINESS any longer. I stopped that practice about 10 years ago. Before then, I flew First and Business ALL the time. Now, I chose to put my money elsewhere. Also, I fly Southwest a bit, and don't have to worry about such upgrades. Along these lines I am always reminded of a peripheral acquaintance whom is extremely wealthy. He could literally buy and airline if he wished. He always flies Southwest in the states. He said to me when I asked him why "Southwest", that he flies them because, "They are FUN to fly and they take me where I want to go quickly and inexpensively. Why not?"

If you and your friend are flying Southwest, you are harldy spending your money wisely or operating lean. They can be more expensive than the proper airlines these days.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by pinworm

If you and your friend are flying Southwest, you are harldy spending your money wisely or operating lean. They can be more expensive than the proper airlines these days.
Agreed. not to mention I would be wary of them given the $ of serious safety issues that have been raised over the past few years re. their maintenance. Flying a short domestic hop in Y isn't "fun" no matter who you're on. I can't imagine that open seating makes the experience more enjoyable. On the plus side no RJ routes I guess.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 9:39 am

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Originally Posted by pinworm

Not exactly true.
Two bags free is a perk to many. NO FEE FOR CHANGES is another huge perk if you (like me) change your itinerary frequently because of business demands. And you have to look at the flights from point A to B. MANY of the flights I take are more reasonable via Southwest. Some are not, so I go where the most reasonable fee that fits into my schedule takes me.
You can't just make a blanket statement like that without actually comparing.

Now, I'm not a superfan of ANY airline. I hop around. But this is not a Southwest thread so I apologize for not sticking to the subject. Sorry Mods.

So, I don't fly FIRST any longer. It's out of my model for business travel expenses. But hey, this way I don't have to worry about a Delta FA not serving me!
And there is very little elitism in Coach. A bit in every place you travel, but very little in Coach.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:22 am

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by IzzyL
^ Good comment. I find that people who are first class (in the true sense of the word, not the flying sense) really don't go around making fun of "kettles".
I agree with this totally.[/QUOTE]

It saddens me when people i see on facebook posts non stop photos/updates about how 'great' their F class flight was.. the food, the bed, the movies..
seriously.. there's no need to brag.. It cheapens it imho.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.