FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Sitting in F (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1306510-sitting-f.html)

HeIsAudiHereUnlessHesFlying Jan 24, 2012 10:23 pm

Sitting in F

Ever have that "un-elite" person in first. The one who acts like they own the world in F class but who we all know either feels incredibly entitled all the time or has never been in first before and thinks they now own the world?

My first time in F class, I kept thanking the FA for taking my coat. Eventually, she told me that it was normal and in fact " it just part of my job". I thanked her again. This was 3 years ago.

Yesterday, in F class, I had some guy who kept trying to talk "business" with everyone around him. Said his jet was held up in another state so he was forced to fly in a "normal" (he actually did use this word to describe) plane. Also kept talking about how it's not that expensive to have a private jet "it's only about $15 mil a year" he said. I rolled my eyes and gave a sarcastic smile to the FA who in turn, laughed, excused herself and took the opportunity to refill my glass.. which was still half full.

He kept talking to the FA about this and that. I think he took the FA's kindness and willingness to listen as her giving a $*#& + he was in 1C.

As I got off the plane I thanked the FA when she handed me my suit bag. She responded, "of course Mr. MPMember. Thank you for flying with us". I shot back with "Well, I'm sure during this flight, you probably wanted to switch places with this bag."

She responded.. "Sometimes but ya know, it's part of our job." I thanked her again and walked off the plane.

Thank you UA FA - your grace is admirable. Thanks for putting up with all of us - good, bad and new.

Back_Seat_Pilot Jan 24, 2012 11:18 pm

You just have to love those guys pure entertainment if you ask me

revigik Jan 25, 2012 12:02 am

some UA FA's are really patient

I was on a flight in F next to an older gentleman, and his young, attractive wife and child in front. The kid thought that he could speak at any pitch and volume that he wanted (I understand kids crying, but this kid was at the age where he could have been politer about his volume- across from me were two kids around the same age who read the whole flight). He was constantly pestering his parents, the FA's and people around him. At the end of the flight, he ran into the cockpit when the door opened. The FA at this point had it, but rather than confront them he just efficiently showed them the door. Keep it classy UA :D.

vmsea Jan 25, 2012 3:26 am

You mean when you're sitting in F and others are being annoying?

Damn i hate that..

#richpplproblems.

:p

HeIsAudiHereUnlessHesFlying Jan 25, 2012 8:16 am

I wouldn't say "rich people" problems.. but definetely #firstworldproblems

:)

FlyersFan617 Jan 25, 2012 8:24 am

I remember...

There are annoying people in every class and everywhere in the world, F, Y, the train, the bus, everywhere lol.

pinworm Jan 25, 2012 12:33 pm

Never had that, but I do chuckle at the "F Amatures"...usually bumped to F for some operational reason, who then proceed to take pics of themselves, call everyone they know on their phone prior to take off ("guess where I am??? No! Guess!") and sometimes invite their coach companions up to look. It's cute, kind of like watching a teenage girl get Justin Bieber concert tickets from her parents..maybe a bit less screaming.

slawecki Jan 25, 2012 1:10 pm

even sounds like domestic F to me(FA, not purser), no body buys UA F for international. crummy product compared to most other fleets.

RobbieRunner Jan 25, 2012 2:01 pm

Excellent story, thanks for sharing.

Elitism is part of human kind. Many thrive on it.

I'm glad it was worth a chuckle. It's a good thing I was not there, because when he said "only 15 mil a year for your own jet" I would have burst out laughing, and said".....

"Tell me about it! I've got two and wouldn't you know it! Both are in for an oil change, so here I am flying "NORMAL!" :D

bobsyouruncle Jan 25, 2012 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by pinworm (Post 17885667)
Never had that, but I do chuckle at the "F Amatures"...usually bumped to F for some operational reason, who then proceed to take pics of themselves, call everyone they know on their phone prior to take of ("guess where I am??? No! Guess!") and sometimes invite their coach companions up to look. It's cute, kind of like watching a teenage girl get Justin Bieber concert tickets from her parents..maybe a bit less screaming.

I had much the same experience a few weeks ago when I sat beside a young guy who was upgraded to F and he was simply beaming. And you're right...it is quite entertaining.

tentseller Jan 25, 2012 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by bobsyouruncle (Post 17886396)
I had much the same experience a few weeks ago when I sat beside a young guy who was upgraded to F and he was simply beaming. And you're right...it is quite entertaining.

I had an experience like that too. Younger fellow leaned over and ask me what is included. 8D
He was a great seatmate for the 2.5hr flight. I learn something about tech security and he learn how to fly as a passenger.
No, his jet was not in the hanger for an oil change. 8P

EqualOpp Jan 25, 2012 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by RobbieRunner (Post 17886327)
Excellent story, thanks for sharing.

Elitism is part of human kind. Many thrive on it.

I'm glad it was worth a chuckle. It's a good thing I was not there, because when he said "only 15 mil a year for your own jet" I would have burst out laughing, and said".....

"Tell me about it! I've got two and wouldn't you know it! Both are in for an oil change, so here I am flying "NORMAL!" :D

What's scarier is all the people that worship "them" and give them a big head.....

tenacioustins Jan 25, 2012 2:47 pm

Well dang, I'm as un-elite as it gets, and always travel in Y but if I ever got bumped up to first I so would not let it go to my head. I'd be happy, mostly that I could rest and sleep well on my red-eye flights...but I certainly wouldn't let it go to my head. Then again I'm not rich...but even if I was...I wouldn't be annoying and be all "oooo look at me, I'm soooo elite". Maybe it's better I fly in coach...LOL

vmsea Jan 25, 2012 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by HeIsAudiHereUnlessHesFlying (Post 17883883)
I wouldn't say "rich people" problems.. but definetely #firstworldproblems

:)

^^^

I also hate it when my jets are in for repair..
in theory i'm part owner of an entire fleet of jets.as a shareholder?
:p

GRALISTAIR Jan 25, 2012 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Back_Seat_Pilot (Post 17882162)
You just have to love those guys pure entertainment if you ask me

It reminds me of a very true Northern English expression "There is nowt as queer as folk"

(queer as in strange, weird, not sexual orientation)