Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Duty free failed to arrive

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bwilson831
Nobody got their duty-free, because the muppet never turned up. Maybe he's still stood on the jetway now? - at the wrong gate!!
Maybe CBP held him up. Sometimes they do question people on jetway before they get to the aircraft.

Last edited by Yaatri; Dec 22, 2011 at 11:29 am
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold
I think the 'Doc' was being humurous and trying to 'wind up a Kanuk'
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by djs
I think you'd be surprised at international rates, they're really not that much anymore (with my Comcast plan it would only be $0.08 per minute to call the UK, guessing reverse is similar, just wouldn't be with Comcast). Perhaps she could make a voice call through Skype too. Bottom line, the call will be WAY cheaper than losing out on what she spent.

Perhaps I'm dreaming here, but is it possible the store reversed all the charges when they didn't make the flight?
US-U.K calling rates don't tell us anything about U.K.-U.S. calling rates. Thhe two are completely unrelated.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by BearX220
It's also too short to expect big companies to self-correct when they commit grievous errors. Why should the OP have to place an overseas call at his/her own expense to fix this? Dispute the charge via a quick local call and let others sort it out.
OP's daughter can suit herself as she chooses. But, the vast majority of smallchargebacks are simply honored by CC issuers as a matter of CS and without actually going through the rigamarole. But, issuers which see a pattern of no attempts to resolve are less likely to go the simple CS route down the road when perhaps it's less clear cut and could go either way.

I pay US$0.019/minute back to the USA so even a 10 minute call would cost be less than US$0.20.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

I think the 'Doc' was being humurous and trying to 'wind up a Kanuk'
Way back when, way before 9/11, I almost missed a flight to Vancouver because I asked the shuttle driver to take me to the International Terminal at SFO....
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Is Canada considered International....?

I know SFO doesn't think so.
Idk why SFO doesn't allow me to purchase DF when I go to YYZ. Grinds my gears.

Had the same thing happen to me from JFK - NRT yesterday. Cigs never came and the boarding door closed. The DF clerk was late, but since the boarding door is closed, they couldn't open it back up to let me get the purchase. I do hope they credited it back to my CC.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 7:57 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Minimum wage trolley pushers?

There are plenty of calling cards that let you call the US from the UK for under three cents a minute.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:31 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by BearX220
It's also too short to expect big companies to self-correct when they commit grievous errors. Why should the OP have to place an overseas call at his/her own expense to fix this? Dispute the charge via a quick local call and let others sort it out.
Credit card companies require you to try and resolve the problem with the merchant in good faith before you start a dispute. If the merchant informs them that you failed to do so, it does not look good for you.

If you don't want to make an international call then send an e-mail, if you can find an address. Or just wait and see if they give you a credit. They know who you are and they know that you didn't get your stuff.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:28 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Virgin Media (my provider) standard international call rate to USA? GBP0.30.6 per minute!! (That's about 50c US)
I'd say you're getting totally ripped off by the Bearded One. Even BT standard rates are 18.3 p/min (daytime) or 12.6 p/min (evenings/weekends). I pay a fraction of that through my provider (Eclipse).

Whatever the phone rates, if I were your daughter, I'd just dispute the charge, rather than risking a frustrating and long phone call, potentially being passed from pillar to post. Make it DFS's problem, not hers!

I've never had any problems with DFS delivering at the gate. However, your story worries me, because I will often use my spare $$$ rather than my credit card to buy duty free.

Last edited by Passmethesickbag; Dec 23, 2011 at 1:54 am
Old Dec 23, 2011, 1:38 am

Virgin Media (my provider) standard international call rate to USA? GBP0.30.6 per minute!! (That's about 50c US)
I use telediscount access codes, 1p a minute to the states

http://www.telediscount.co.uk/index2.php
Old Dec 23, 2011, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
...Even BT standard rates are 18.3 p/min (daytime) or 12.6 p/min (evenings/weekends)...
18.3ppm is still going to add up if she get's bounced around, put on hold or whatever. I don't pay the bearded one 30.6ppm, because I subscribe to his Talk International option - 3.06ppm Daughter's coming home for Christmas so she can call from here next week if necessary. Gives the card transaction(s?) time to hit as well.

It dawned on me that the most elegant solution to the problem (which, from contributions above, clearly happens from time to time) is for the store put a hold on your card for the amount (much like hotels and car rentals do) and only process the transaction after you've flown away clutching your stuff. It would also stop them getting on the CC companies radar for too many chargebacks. Who knows? Maybe they do. We'll see.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Happy holidays:-:
Old Dec 23, 2011, 6:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I've never understood why the US has this completely bizarre system of having to collect your purchases at the gate, and why they can't operate like most other places - i.e. you buy at the shop, you take your goods there and then... it's not like (most!) people are going to crack open their cheap bottle in the airport whilst waiting for boarding!

It seems like incidents such as the OPs are bound to happen on a regular basis.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
I've never understood why the US has this completely bizarre system of having to collect your purchases at the gate, and why they can't operate like most other places - i.e. you buy at the shop, you take your goods there and then... it's not like (most!) people are going to crack open their cheap bottle in the airport whilst waiting for boarding!

It seems like incidents such as the OPs are bound to happen on a regular basis.
I don't usually buy duty free purchase, so someone please correct me if I am wrong.

From what I understand, the US requires delivery at the gate because many US airports mix international flights with domestic flights. So, the only way to be relatively sure that the traveler will be flying out of the US will be to deliver the purchases at their international flight gates.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Indeed it is. But now, of course, LHR does the same in T1 and T5. I don't understand what there is to stop you from giving your duty free purchases to your friend who's flying to Glasgow. Maybe Europeans are just less paranoid about alcohol.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by cordelli
Minimum wage trolley pushers?

There are plenty of calling cards that let you call the US from the UK for under three cents a minute.
Do tell!!! I would like to get some!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.