FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Duty free failed to arrive (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1294029-duty-free-failed-arrive.html)

bwilson831 Dec 22, 2011 7:06 am

Duty free failed to arrive

My daughter boarded a UA 744 yesterday (SFO-LHR) but the duty free hadn't turned up at the jetway. She checked back twice during the boarding and was reassured by the FA's - "Oh, sometimes they're running late and they bring it to you on board". Doors closed for an on-time departaure and still no sign of the cigs and booze. Daughter was NOT happy, but nothing compared to the fellow-passenger who'd spent 500 bucks! FA said that the guy from Dfs had been paged but never showed up.

Apparently Dfs credit your card - hope that's so!

Is this sort of thing a regular occurence at US international terminals? I know if I was the Dfs Sales Director I'd be less than happy with the minimum-wage trolley pusher who caused us to have to put 1,000's of $$ worth of goods back on the shelves and credit the cards.

Note to self - NEVER pay cash. How're you ever gonna get that back!! ???

BearX220 Dec 22, 2011 8:17 am

Your daughter shouldn't wait for DFS to fess up but call her credit card and contest the charge ASAP. Technically DFS has stolen her money here. Was it the whole plane that missed its duty-free bags, or just a couple of pax?

bwilson831 Dec 22, 2011 8:19 am

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 17674264)
Your daughter shouldn't wait for DFS to fess up but call her credit card and contest the charge ASAP. Technically DFS has stolen her money here. Was it the whole plane that missed its duty-free bags, or just a couple of pax?

Nobody got their duty-free, because the muppet never turned up. Maybe he's still stood on the jetway now? - at the wrong gate!! ;)

inlanikai Dec 22, 2011 8:40 am

Originally Posted by bwilson831 (Post 17674280)
Maybe he's still stood on the jetway now? - at the wrong gate!! ;)

Or throwing one heckuva party for 20 of his closest friends. ;)

Often1 Dec 22, 2011 9:18 am

OP - Don't be silly. Call the store, ask for the credit. DF hasn't "stolen" anything as others suggest, DF just missed the flight, that's all. Needless to say, if they don't issue the credit, you can contest. But, CC's track # of chargebacks because they are expensive for the CC companies. So, silly to chargeback when it's easily fixed.

Life is too short to spin up about every little mess.

bwilson831 Dec 22, 2011 9:39 am

Thanks Often1. Daughter's in UK and store's in US - which will often be the case in this scenario - so an international call is needed, which is expensive and inconvenient. However, the purpose of my post was to enquire if this is a regular occurence in the US and to caution against using cash. You're hardly going to fly back there to ask for your money back!

BearX220 Dec 22, 2011 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 17674694)
Life is too short to spin up about every little mess.

It's also too short to expect big companies to self-correct when they commit grievous errors. Why should the OP have to place an overseas call at his/her own expense to fix this? Dispute the charge via a quick local call and let others sort it out.

gglave Dec 22, 2011 10:32 am

Originally Posted by bwilson831 (Post 17673830)
Is this sort of thing a regular occurence at US international terminals?

Big pet peeve of mine.

Not showing up is rare, but showing up late or very late, is common. On my last trip out of SFO they were already boarding zone 3 before the cart showed up. Part of the issue is the duty free store (or kiosk) is staffed with one person and they have to close their kiosk and head to the flight, which they can't do if they're serving other customers. I remember last year at LAS running back to the kiosk demanding my stuff telling them my flight was boarding. The flustered staffer had to close her kiosk while several puzzled customers continued to try to ask her dozens of detailed questions about scotch, none of which she could answer.

Adding to the problem is the fact that many US airports don't have "International Terminals" so you can't just take your purchases with you. As there are both domestic and int'l flights departing from a given terminal you're dependent on a clerk pushing up a cart.

It's pretty much to the point where I don't buy duty free departing the USA any more - Not worth the stress.

djs Dec 22, 2011 10:44 am

Originally Posted by bwilson831 (Post 17674840)
Thanks Often1. Daughter's in UK and store's in US - which will often be the case in this scenario - so an international call is needed, which is expensive and inconvenient. However, the purpose of my post was to enquire if this is a regular occurence in the US and to caution against using cash. You're hardly going to fly back there to ask for your money back!

I think you'd be surprised at international rates, they're really not that much anymore (with my Comcast plan it would only be $0.08 per minute to call the UK, guessing reverse is similar, just wouldn't be with Comcast). Perhaps she could make a voice call through Skype too. Bottom line, the call will be WAY cheaper than losing out on what she spent.

Perhaps I'm dreaming here, but is it possible the store reversed all the charges when they didn't make the flight?

bwilson831 Dec 22, 2011 10:50 am

Originally Posted by gglave (Post 17675187)
Big pet peeve of mine.

It's pretty much to the point where I don't buy duty free departing the USA any more - Not worth the stress.

Thanks gglave. This is the sort of feedback I was looking for, both for myself and for other foreign visitors reading these pages. I visit the US twice a year and have never had a problem - but that's a pretty small sample size. Your greater exposure to it, and responding to the post, is most welcome!

....is it possible the store reversed all the charges when they didn't make the flight?
I think that's what's supposed to happen - we shall see. Transatlantic phone charges from UK are ridiculous!. I think many foreign visitors use up the last of their dollars in duty free - and if it happens to them I think they're pretty much screwed!

angatol Dec 22, 2011 10:52 am

Doc Savage Dec 22, 2011 10:59 am

Originally Posted by gglave (Post 17675187)

Adding to the problem is the fact that many US airports don't have "International Terminals" so you can't just take your purchases with you. As there are both domestic and int'l flights departing from a given terminal you're dependent on a clerk pushing up a cart.

Is Canada considered International....?:D

I know SFO doesn't think so.

bwilson831 Dec 22, 2011 11:08 am

Virgin Media (my provider) standard international call rate to USA? GBP0.30.6 per minute!! (That's about 50c US) :(

angatol Dec 22, 2011 11:18 am

gglave Dec 22, 2011 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 17675351)
Is Canada considered International....?:D

I know SFO doesn't think so.

"Canada" is a grey area. I can purchase duty free, but I'm usually flying out of a domestic gate.

This happens all over the place though - at ORD you'll have a flight to Frankfurt parked next to a flight to Des Moines. Ditto DEN.