FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

jlemon Jun 9, 2016 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 26751679)

B]23[/B]. Worcester, MA has enjoyed jet service from a variety of airlines over the years. Alas, in early 1994 there was only a single jet flight out of town. Identify the airline, the jet and the destination served.
So we now know it wasn't CO, NW or US. Whatever could it've been?!!!

Ah...please forgive me....I thought you were inquiring about Worcestershire (as in the original sauce made by Lea & Perrins, which, of course, is an essential ingredient in my (in)famous Cajun Bloody Marys)....

But now I comprehend that you are referring to ORH...

Well then....

I've already made an incorrect guess upstream in the thread with regard to this air carrier: Carnival Air Lines (KW) and their Boeing 737-200 equipment.

So perhaps in the cold early months of 1994 this was KW operating a 73S nonstop on a seasonal basis down to sunny Florida, say to their headquarters airport: Fort Lauderdale (FLL)

P.S. - And a short while ago, I could not help but notice (and hear) QR 714 sailing by overhead with the B777-200LR en route nonstop from Houston to Doha while I was outside checking my rain gauge (we had a brief but heavy tropical shower this evening which the little kitty found interesting as he got caught outside and then arrived back in the house at high speed a bit wet)....

Seat 2A Jun 9, 2016 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 26755048)
12. If you want to fly aboard a 737-400 out of Albuquerque, there’s only a single flight departing each day. Identify the airline and the destination airport.

Denver

Right on, moondog! I don't recall this being a very long lived service. Indeed, this flight may have represented the only 737-400 flights that ABQ ever received. The only other 737-400 operator in the region - Alaska - serves ABQ with -800s and/or -900s depending on the season.

Seat 2A Jun 9, 2016 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 26755720)
Worcester, MA has enjoyed jet service from a variety of airlines over the years. Alas, in early 1994 there was only a single jet flight out of town. Identify the airline, the jet and the destination served.
So we now know it wasn't CO, NW or US. Whatever could it've been?!!!

Perhaps in the cold early months of 1994 this was KW operating a 73S nonstop on a seasonal basis down to sunny Florida, say to their headquarters airport: Fort Lauderdale (FLL)

Well done, Mr. Lemon! KW (Carnival) it was, operating a 737-200 to... not FLL but... Orlando!

And yet another question falls off the big board! Good job, gang!

Seat 2A Jun 9, 2016 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 26752002)
first of all, thank you for the redacted version of the still-at-large questions!! MUCH easier to read and navigate

I thought I'd do it the way I did as evidence of the time and effort that go into both compiling and responding to a big glut of questions - or even a smaller group of questions.

That said, I'll soon begin work putting together a new set focusing on schedules from the 40s, 50s and 60s...

And maybe, if there's time, I'll look into compiling a few about food and drink service, such as which airlines have the good sense to make their Bloody Mary's with Lea and Perrins What's This Here Sauce.

jrl767 Jun 9, 2016 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 26756001)
I thought I'd do it the way I did as evidence of the time and effort that go into both compiling and responding to a big glut of questions - or even a smaller group of questions.

I have to suspect that most of the regular cadre certainly understand and appreciate that developing a challenging set of OTA&A Quiz/Discussion questions is indeed a non-trivial effort!

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 26756001)
That said, I'll soon begin work putting together a new set focusing on schedules from the 40s, 50s and 60s...

And maybe, if there's time, I'll look into compiling a few about food and drink service, such as which airlines have the good sense to make their Bloody Mary's with Lea and Perrins What's This Here Sauce.

looking forward to the former ... the latter, though, is likely to engender some VERY interesting discussions

jrl767 Jun 9, 2016 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 26755867)
The only other 737-400 operator in the region - Alaska - serves ABQ with -800s and/or -900s depending on the season.

if I'm not mistaken -- but there's certainly no guarantee of this! -- AS occasionally ran a 734 on SEA<-->ABQ (to the point where it appeared in the schedules for a month or so at a time, not as a 1x/week tail swap)

Seat 2A Jun 10, 2016 1:07 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 26756338)
I have to suspect that most of the regular cadre certainly understand and appreciate that developing a challenging set of OTA&A Quiz/Discussion questions is indeed a non-trivial effort!

All well and good. Replying to the variety of responses, hopefully in a timely manner, is an equally less than trivial effort.

Over the years I feel like between jlemon and myself, we've kept the flow of questions rolling along surprisingly well with very few extended breaks. I obviously can't speak for jlemon's schedule, but with the upcoming peak season work schedule I've bid it'll be at least mid-July and probably later before I'll be presenting any new questions. The potential is for there to be quite an extended break, and my comments toward the time and effort that go into compiling and responding to these questions is given in the spirit of preparing participants for that eventuality. Those comments may be deemed unnecessary at this point, but the OTAQ&D has taken on quite a bit of momentum over the years and I can't help but feel a bit badly if in any way I'm responsible for diminishing that.

Additionally, I kind of liked leaving all of the questions - answered and unanswered - out there. It seemed easy enough to discern those which had not yet been answered by virtue of their black print. Still, if this approach is deemed excessively difficult to navigate, I am not averse to eschewing it for the traditional style.

moondog Jun 10, 2016 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 26756691)
All well and good. Replying to the variety of responses, hopefully in a timely manner, is an equally less than trivial effort.

Additionally, I kind of liked leaving all of the questions - answered and unanswered - out there. It seemed easy enough to discern those which had not yet been answered by virtue of their black print. Still, if this approach is deemed excessively difficult to navigate, I am not averse to eschewing it for the traditional style.

I really appreciate your efforts on the question and answer front, and support whatever approach is best for you, but I will say that I like it when answered questions are deleted in reply updates.

Switching topics, I'm looking forward to the next set, and hope to answer at least one question. The problem is, since I wasn't alive during that era, I will presumably need to rely on Google and also get lucky.:D

jlemon Jun 10, 2016 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 26751679)

45. Only two airlines fly jets into Lincoln, Nebraska. Don’t worry about what kind of jets they are or where they come from. Just name the airlines.
TWA has been identified as one of the airlines... C'mon now - what kind of contestants are ya?! Certainly the other one can't be too difficult to guess. How many airlines serve LNK anyway?

45. Well, I'm kinda surprised no one has named the other air carrier yet.....

United Airlines served Lincoln with mainline jet flights for many years, including with the B727-100/200 as well as various 737 models and perhaps the A320 as well.

So there's my answer: UA

Seat 2A Jun 10, 2016 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Over the years I feel like between jlemon and myself, we've kept the flow of questions rolling along surprisingly well with very few extended breaks. I obviously can't speak for jlemon's schedule, but with the upcoming peak season work schedule I've bid it'll be at least mid-July and probably later before I'll be presenting any new questions. The potential is for there to be quite an extended break, and my comments toward the time and effort that go into compiling and responding to these questions is given in the spirit of preparing participants for that eventuality. It may be deemed unnecessary at this point, but the OTAQ&D has taken on quite a bit of momentum over the years and I can't help but feel a bit badly if in any way I'm responsible for diminishing that.

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 26756887)
I really appreciate your efforts on the question and answer front, and support whatever approach is best for you, but I will say that I like it when answered questions are deleted in reply updates.

Switching topics, I'm looking forward to the next set, and hope to answer at least one question. The problem is, since I wasn't alive during that era, I will presumably need to rely on Google and also get lucky.:D

Thank you, moondog. The 40s and 50s and to some extent even the 60s predate me as well. Still, the interest that fuels acquiring even schedules that predate me has been fostered over many years, since I was but a mere grade school student in fact. I expect the same holds true for some of our fellow participants.

Growing up in the pre-internet days meant writing off to the airlines for complimentary timetables and picking up used OAGs from the local travel agencies. And, once I got ahold of a schedule, it was oh so easy for a borderline Asberger guy like myself to spend literally hours documenting where every DC-8 or L1011 flew to or what cities and routes were being served by the new widebodied jets. As I grew older, I got into airports, visiting every jet capable airport in California and all but one of the 32 served by the bright yellow aircraft of Hughes Airwest plus many others.

Ideally, this is a quiz where we give our best educated guess. Some people here are clearly pretty good at it - to the extent that if they don't know the exact answer, they're likely to work it out eventually. As for using the internet or turning to schedules - I can only imagine that would take a lot of the fun out of it. I look at how often I've submitted the wrong answer and yet through gentle prompts and occasional hints it's always an enjoyable and informative journey to arrive at the correct answer.

In any event, there are sites such as departedflights.com or timetableimages.com that can provide a window into the flights and routes of yesteryear. You can also purchase old timetables and OAGs on sites like eBay. I recently purchased - amongst others - a 1965 worldwide OAG for $9.50, an American Aviation Air Traffic Guide from December of 1947 for just $2.25 and a Worldwide OAG from 1948 for just $26.00! I picked up four more from that era for about $125.00. Assuming your interest is there for this era, your local library probably has a book or three covering aviation's "Golden Age" and of course a simple review of some of fellow participants WHBM and jlemon's posts here can prove both entertaining and enlightening.

In any event, you'll have plenty of time to bone up on your 1940s and 50s airliner movements as my next set of questions won't be posted until about late July.

Seat 2A Jun 10, 2016 11:05 am

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 26758280)
45. Only two airlines fly jets into Lincoln, Nebraska. Don’t worry about what kind of jets they are or where they come from. Just name the airlines.
TWA has been identified as one of the airlines... C'mon now - what kind of contestants are ya?! Certainly the other one can't be too difficult to guess. How many airlines serve LNK anyway?

Well, I'm kinda surprised no one has named the other air carrier yet... United Airlines served Lincoln with mainline jet flights for many years, including with the B727-100/200 as well as various 737 models and perhaps the A320 as well.

So there's my answer: UA

Yes!!! Good job, JL!

I am presently in Needles, CA where it's been blast furnace hot of late. I had a great day of train spotting out on Goffs Rd. (Old Rt. 66) yesterday, as well as down at the engine yards in downtown Needles. I'll be flying back up to Alaska this afternoon and as such will soon have access to the schedules I've used to compile these questions. If any of you would like transcripted copies of the schedules referenced in these questions, just ask and I shall provide.

Seat 2A Jun 10, 2016 11:11 am

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS MID-1992

3. Way up north in Canada’s Northwest Territory, three airlines vie for your patronage on the fiercely competitive route between Yellowknife (YZF) and Cambridge Bay (YCB). Two of the airlines operate mainline jet equipment while the other utilizes a turbo-prop. Identify each airline and its respective equipment.

5. Further perusal of the 1992 summer schedule reveals a single airline providing the only all economy configured flights between New York area airports and Ft. Lauderdale. Three flights per day are offered, one each from Long Island’s MacArthur Airport (ISP), New Jersey’s Newark International (EWR) and New York’s Kennedy International Airport (JFK). Identify the airline and the single aircraft type it operates on these three routes.
HINT: It ain't Carnival.

6. In mid-1992, passengers desiring nonstop transport between Anchorage and Honolulu were limited to this once a week, Saturday only flight. Identify the airline and aircraft involved.
Who the heck izzit? We know it ain't Hawaiian Air...

10. If you wanted to take advantage of Fifth Freedom rights to fly foreign carriers within North America, Montreal probably offered more options than any other city on the continent. Let’s examine just a couple here: Identify the two foreign airlines operating between Montreal and Chicago. While you’re at it, go ahead and identify which type of aircraft each airline operated on the route.
C'mon now - Montreal to Chicago! Maybe the ultimate 5th Freedom route in North America over the years. Both airlines are European...

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTION IS SPRING 1994

21. If you live in Nashville and want to fly to West Palm Beach, there’s only one flight per day, albeit a one-stop flight. It’s got some vintage equipment though, and a cheap fare to boot. Identify the airline, the equipment and the enroute stop.

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTION IS EARLY 1996

31. Per the North American OAG referenced for this question, there are four foreign airlines serving Miami with 727-100 equipment. Interestingly, only two routes are involved, i.e. two airlines per each route. Given the regions covered by this OAG, identify the four airlines and – if you like – you may also have a go at the relevant routes.
Hanair & Haiti Trans Air flying PAP-MIA have been correctly identified. The other route is CUN-MIA on which TAESA has also been identified. We need one more... (No esta Mexicana) C'mon, you Gringos! Gimme the right answer!!

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS LATE 1997

37. Lots of airlines provide service between the three Washington DC area airports and Chicago. However, only one airline provides nonstop service between Washington’s Dulles International and Chicago’s Midway Airport. Your mission – should you decide to accept it – is to identify both the airline and the aircraft utilized on this route.

40. You want to fly from Chicago to Las Vegas – but man oh man – the fares sure are expensive! But hey! Further investigation reveals that if you’re willing to depart out of Midway Airport – located on the city’s south side – there are two airlines that offer substantially cheaper fares. Identify both airlines as well as the aircraft that each airline operates.
ATA with a 727-200 was one of the airlines...

44. It’s a damp, wintery afternoon in southern Ohio when you get a call from an old friend requesting the pleasure of your company for a weekend of scuba diving in the Cayman Islands. You’re already thinking of how to get there before she’s even completed her request. Thankfully an ad in the Travel Section of last Sunday’s Cincinnati Enquirer shows you the way – a Saturday only nonstop departure straight from Cincinnati to Grand Cayman. Right on! Identify the airline and the aircraft you’ll be flying upon.
HINT: The airline has "International" as part of its title. It shares its name with another airline - One went by "Airlines", the other by "Airways"

48. This airline provided a less expensive option to Air Canada and Canadian Airlines with twice daily one stop service between Calgary and Toronto. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the intermediate stop.
HINT: It's not WestJet

49. Who’d’ve ever thought that there would be sufficient demand to offer not one but three nonstop flights between Nashville and Colorado Springs? Not me. But yes, it turns out that in 1997 there are three almost daily jet flights between these two cities. Identify the airline and the aircraft utilized, please.

miniliq Jun 10, 2016 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 26745352)
THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS MID-1992

3. Way up north in Canada’s Northwest Territory, three airlines vie for your patronage on the fiercely competitive route between Yellowknife (YZF) and Cambridge Bay (YCB). Two of the airlines operate mainline jet equipment while the other utilizes a turbo-prop. Identify each airline and its respective equipment.

I'll try these:
1. Canadian North (5T) with a 737
2. First Air (7F) with a 727
3. Buffalo Airways (J4) with a Dash 8

Coincidentally, Buffalo Airways has supplied some of the water bombers used in the firefighting efforts at Fort McMurray, an activity that is prominent in the local news in YEG where we've spent the past 2 weeks.

miniliq Jun 10, 2016 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 26758761)
THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS LATE 1997

48. This airline provided a less expensive option to Air Canada and Canadian Airlines with twice daily one stop service between Calgary and Toronto. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the intermediate stop.

My best guess is Westjet (WS) with its 737-200's, although I don't remember service to YYZ as early as 1997 -- but I'll try that anyway, with Winnipeg as the intermediate stop: YYC-YWG-YYZ

YVR Cockroach Jun 10, 2016 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 26758761)

10. If you wanted to take advantage of Fifth Freedom rights to fly foreign carriers within North America, Montreal probably offered more options than any other city on the continent. Let’s examine just a couple here: Identify the two foreign airlines operating between Montreal and Chicago. While you’re at it, go ahead and identify which type of aircraft each airline operated on the route.
C'mon now - Montreal to Chicago! Maybe the ultimate 5th Freedom route in North America over the years. Both airlines are European...

Maybe I am remembering it wrong but didn't BA operated a YUL 5th to either DTW or ORD? I'd say on 763.

16. At this time there are four foreign airlines that enjoy Fifth Freedom rights between Los Angeles and Mexico City. Identify each airline and the aircraft it flies on this route.
LACSA A320 and Malaysian 747-400 identified so far... As well as Aerolineas Argentinas with a 747-200. The other airline operated narrow bodied equipment and was from South America.
Wild stab.

PL 752

22. Identify the airline that – as of early 1994 - flies mainline jets into more Colorado cities than any other. While you’re at it, identify those Colorado cities as well.
CO, GJT for one?