FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

jlemon Nov 1, 2021 10:30 am

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 33689716)
I wonder how this used to work in route licence days. Did a carrier need a licence for both SFO to San Juan, and LAX to San Juan, to be able to run this, or was it a specific SFO-LAX-SJU one ? Could they flex the latter and only run from LAX if they wished, or must they run the whole thing ?

Over in the UK, international licences were only given from a departure airport for destinations. It was up to the airline how they strung these together, of course long ago there were plenty of multi-stop flights, particularly for BOAC, and they changed the sequence of what stopped where with regularity. Whether local traffic along the way was permitted was up to the various authorities in those countries, and there were a whole series of individual arrangements - Syria, for example, only allowed overflights of the country if at least one flight a week was scheduled to stop there, which led to odd combinations such as Qantas 707s coming to Europe serving Damascus once a week.

I'm not sure how the CAB handled this prior to deregulation. I will assume that San Juan was considered a domestic destination by the CAB.

It also appears that SFO - LAX - SJU was a rather thin route for Delta (especially for an aircraft as large as the Super DC-8). By 1979, Delta was no longer operating nonstop red eye flights from Los Angeles to San Juan but was instead routing the service from SFO to SJU via an additional stop in New Orleans although DL was operating a wide body on the route at this time. Here's the eastbound sched....

DL 1164: San Francisco (SFO) 7:10a - 8:13a Los Angeles (LAX) 9:00a - 2:10p New Orleans (MSY) 3:10p - 8:30p San Juan (SJU)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Snack SFO-LAX, Breakfast LAX-MSY, Dinner MSY-SJU
Equip: L-1011

BTW, DL 1164 does show up in the Dec. 1, 1979 OAG as operating from SFO to LAX with no traffic restrictions.

I also believe Delta was attempting to connect passengers via New Orleans to San Juan via DL 1164 as the airline was operating flights into MSY from around 20 other U.S. cities at this time with these services offering convenient connections time-wise to the nonstop to SJU.

WHBM Nov 1, 2021 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 33692627)
I'm not sure how the CAB handled this prior to deregulation. I will assume that San Juan was considered a domestic destination by the CAB.

I also believe Delta was attempting to connect passengers via New Orleans to San Juan via DL 1164 as the airline was operating flights into MSY from around 20 other U.S. cities at this time with these services offering convenient connections time-wise to the nonstop to SJU.

Scope for a bonus question here. Who was the previous operator before Delta on this route from New Orleans to San Juan ?

jlemon Nov 1, 2021 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 33692979)
Scope for a bonus question here. Who was the previous operator before Delta on this route from New Orleans to San Juan ?

Ah, I'll bet the airline in question may have operated the iconic Lockheed Constellation on this service....

Bluehen1 Nov 1, 2021 1:35 pm

18. Let’s start this one off with United flying a 727-100 LAX-SFO-SMF-DEN-TUL.

jlemon Nov 1, 2021 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Bluehen1 (Post 33693165)
18. Let’s start this one off with United flying a 727-100 LAX-SFO-SMF-DEN-TUL.

18. A very plausible guess!

However, it wasn't United, the equipment wasn't a 727 and the flight in question did not stop in San Francisco, Sacramento or Denver.

Please guess again, sir!

Bluehen1 Nov 1, 2021 6:45 pm

18. Let’s try an AA MD-80 doing LAX-PHX-ABQ-DFW-TUL.

jlemon Nov 2, 2021 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Bluehen1 (Post 33693987)
18. Let’s try an AA MD-80 doing LAX-PHX-ABQ-DFW-TUL.

18. Nope, it wasn't American and stops were not made in Phoenix, Albuquerque or Dallas/Fort Worth.

But on the plus side, you've correctly guessed the equipment: the MD-80.

Bluehen1 Nov 2, 2021 9:16 am

18. Muse Air LAX-LAS-MAF-DAL-TUL

jlemon Nov 2, 2021 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Bluehen1 (Post 33695260)
18. Muse Air LAX-LAS-MAF-DAL-TUL

18. Muse Air is correct....however, this flight did not stop at Dallas Love Field.

Note that the Wright Amendment prohibited direct or nonstop service into DAL at this time from any city that wasn't located in the neighboring states of Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico and Oklahoma.

JoeDTW Nov 2, 2021 10:37 am

I'll get 3 and 17 started.

3. Caribair DC-9-30, CUR-AUA-SJU-SDQ

17. Republic MD-80 YUL-DTW-MSP-SAN

jrl767 Nov 2, 2021 10:39 am

anniversaries -- one modern, one vintage

2 Nov marks the 20th anniversary of the first flight of the Airbus A330, as well as the 74th anniversary of the first and only flight of the Hughes HK-1 (later H-4), better known as the Spruce Goose

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...51b2ca86cc.jpg
photo source: https://www.libraries.wright.edu/com...344_90_2_2.jpg

jrl767 Nov 2, 2021 10:48 am

17- I kinda like RC here also, but my thought is a bit different ... a DC-9-50 via DTW and Phoenix/PHX

Bluehen1 Nov 2, 2021 10:51 am

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 33695326)
18. Muse Air is correct....however, this flight did not stop at Dallas Love Field.

Note that the Wright Amendment prohibited direct or nonstop service into DAL at this time from any city that wasn't located in the neighboring states of Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico and Oklahoma.

Sub HOU for DAL

jlemon Nov 2, 2021 11:01 am

Originally Posted by JoeDTW (Post 33695479)
I'll get 3 and 17 started.

3. Caribair DC-9-30, CUR-AUA-SJU-SDQ

17. Republic MD-80 YUL-DTW-MSP-SAN

3. Caribair is correct! Here are the scheds..

CB 936: Curacao (CUR) 1:55p - 2:20p Aruba (AUA) 2:45p - 4:00p San Juan (SJU)
Service class: Y (cabin was configured with 115 seats)
Meal service: None listed
Equip: D9S

Connecting to....

CB 407: San Juan (SJU) 6:00p - 5:15p Santo Domingo (SDQ)
Service class: Y (ditto on the # of seats)
Meal service: None listed
Equip: D9S

And yes, I did screw up concerning the connecting time interval at SJU as it was actually two hours and not 30 minutes.

17. An excellent guess!

However, it wasn't Republic, the flight in question did not stop in Detroit or Minneapolis/St. Paul and the equipment wasn't an MD-80.

Please guess again, sir!

jlemon Nov 2, 2021 11:25 am

Following the acquisition of the Spruce Goose by Evergreen for its museum in Oregon, the iconic flying boat was initially stored with its wings off in a vacant lot behind Evergreen's corporate headquarters in McMinnville. I was a VP with Evergreen at this time so I had the opportunity to climb on board the aircraft and sit in the Captain's seat. I recall getting my suit a bit dirty by doing so and thus having to clean up a bit after I walked back over to the Evergreen offices.

And BTW, Del Smith, the owner and Chairman of Evergreen (who was always looking to save a buck), initially had a cost saving idea concerning the relocation of the Spruce Goose from Long Beach to McMinnville. He wanted to return the Spruce Goose to an airworthy condition in southern California and proposed having the aircraft then actually flown at low level up the coast to Oregon. However, the FAA wasn't impressed with this idea and did not give its approval. So the Spruce Goose was instead transported by barge to Oregon from Long Beach.