FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

Seat 2A Jun 6, 16 3:37 pm


Originally Posted by teddybear99 (Post 26738074)
31. Per the North American OAG referenced for this question, there are four foreign airlines serving Miami with 727-100 equipment. Interestingly, only two routes are involved, i.e. two airlines per each route. Given the regions covered by this OAG, identify the four airlines and – if you like – you may also have a go at the relevant routes.
Hanair & Haiti Trans Air flying PAP-MIA have been identified. The other route is CUN-MIA on which TAESA has been identified. We need one more...

I am going to guess Mexicana, but I believe they flew this route with a B727-200, not a -100

An excellent guess as to the airline, TB, but of course by 1996 Mexicana had long since divested itself of its 727-100s. Please, guess again!


Seat 2A Jun 6, 16 3:46 pm


Originally Posted by teddybear99 (Post 26738149)
25. Identify 8 state capitols that once had mainline jet service but as of mid-1994 no longer do.

Let's see how many I get:

Topeka, KS ML, Trenton, NJ UA, Santa Fe, NM TI, Salem, OR UA, Pierre, SD WA, Cheyenne, WY WA)

Alabama-Montgomery (I'm gonna have to get back with you on Montgomery, but I think you're correct. I don't have it on my list but it seems likely that Southern and/or Delta flew in there with DC-9s)
Illinois-Springfield Correct!
Missouri-Jefferson City Correct!
Montana-Helena Incorrect!
New Hampshire-Concord (I'm not aware of Concord ever having mainline jet service. Anyone else here?)
North Dakota-Bismarck Incorrect!
Oregon-Salem Correct!
South Dakota-Pierre Correct!
Vermont-Montpelier (I'm not aware of Montpelier ever having had mainline jet service. Anyone else here?)
Wyoming-Cheyenne Correct!

5 and possibly 6 out of 8 - You're off to a pretty good start!


teddybear99 Jun 6, 16 3:48 pm

As for question number 5, I will tap in and say Spirit Airlines with a MD-DC9-41 in a configuration of 127 all economy seats

jrl767 Jun 6, 16 3:50 pm

26- state capitols formerly served by mainline jets, but not in 1994 ...
how about Charleston WV (CRW) and Harrisburg PA (MDT)

Seat 2A Jun 6, 16 3:57 pm


Originally Posted by teddybear99 (Post 26738581)
5. Further perusal of the 1992 summer schedule reveals a single airline providing the only all economy configured flights between New York area airports and Ft. Lauderdale. Three flights per day are offered, one each from Long Island’s MacArthur Airport (ISP), New Jersey’s Newark International (EWR) and New York’s Kennedy International Airport (JFK). Identify the airline and the single aircraft type it operates on these three routes.

I will tap in and say Spirit Airlines with a MD-DC9-41 in a configuration of 127 all economy seats

Alas, you just missed on that one, Teddy. It was not Spirit. Please, putt again! :D

p.s. Spirit flew DC-9-41s...?


kochleffel Jun 6, 16 4:00 pm


Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 26738572)
25. Identify 8 state capitols that once had mainline jet service but as of mid-1994 no longer do.

Let's see how many I get:

Topeka, KS ML, Trenton, NJ UA, Santa Fe, NM TI, Salem, OR UA, Pierre, SD WA, Cheyenne, WY WA)

Alabama-Montgomery (I'm gonna have to get back with you on Montgomery, but I think you're correct. I don't have it on my list but it seems likely that Southern and/or Delta flew in there with DC-9s)
Illinois-Springfield Correct!
Missouri-Jefferson City Correct!
Montana-Helena Incorrect!
New Hampshire-Concord (I'm not aware of Concord ever having mainline jet service. Anyone else here?)
North Dakota-Bismarck Incorrect!
Oregon-Salem Correct!
South Dakota-Pierre Correct!
Vermont-Montpelier (I'm not aware of Montpelier ever having had mainline jet service. Anyone else here?)
Wyoming-Cheyenne Correct!

Let's try Lansing, Mich., for one.

teddybear99 Jun 6, 16 4:01 pm

well I think you gave it away as there is something in the quote that I did not put there:

Kansas-Topeka
New Mexico-Santa Fe
New Jersey-Trenton

As to Montgomery, you may be right as it always has been a Delta Connection airport, they may have engaged a DC-9 when it was peak from Atlanta. I wasn't aware that Delta Connection used DC-9's as I always thought they were mainline aircraft.

Seat 2A Jun 6, 16 4:02 pm


Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 26738592)
26. State capitols formerly served by mainline jets, but not in 1994 ...

How about Charleston WV (CRW) and Harrisburg PA (MDT)

Sitting here in the SeaTac Boardroom, I don't have my OAG with me but I believe CRW was served by US Air DC-9s while MDT definitely had United 737 or 727 service from ORD. I'll have to get back with you on this unless anyone has a 1994 OAG showing otherwise...

And now, if you'll excuse me I've got a gleaming new Alaska 737-900ER to catch!

Seat 2A Jun 6, 16 4:04 pm


Originally Posted by teddybear99 (Post 26738636)
Well I think you gave it away as there is something in the quote that I did not put there:

Kansas-Topeka
New Mexico-Santa Fe
New Jersey-Trenton

As to Montgomery, you may be right as it always has been a Delta Connection airport, they may have engaged a DC-9 when it was peak from Atlanta. I wasn't aware that Delta Connection used DC-9's as I always thought they were mainline aircraft
.

Oops!

Delta Connection never used DC-9s. I was referring to DL mainline.


Seat 2A Jun 6, 16 4:07 pm


Originally Posted by kochleffel (Post 26738634)
25. Identify 8 state capitols that once had mainline jet service but as of mid-1994 no longer do.

Let's try Lansing, Mich., for one.

I'm pretty sure Lansing had DC-9 service from Northwest. Again, I'll double check these when I return home Friday night.


jlemon Jun 6, 16 4:07 pm


Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 26732407)

43. Here’s a flight that operates uniquely between this airline’s northernmost and southernmost points. And here’s a hint: The northernmost point is Fairbanks, Alaska. The southernmost point is just up the road from Mexico. Along the way four enroute stops are made. Based upon the fact that this is 1997 and we’re not talking about Alaska Airlines; can you identify the airline, the destination, the intermediate stops and the aircraft utilized?
Reno Air has been identified, as has FAI-ANC-SEA on the southbound route so far...

43. Here's my latest Reno Air re-route: FAI-ANC-SEA-RNO-SJC-SAN

Seat 2A Jun 6, 16 4:08 pm


Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 26738675)
43. Here's my latest Reno Air re-route: FAI-ANC-SEA-RNO-SJC-SAN

Please - guess again! And check your latitudes ;)


jlemon Jun 6, 16 4:36 pm


Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 26732407)

43. Here’s a flight that operates uniquely between this airline’s northernmost and southernmost points. And here’s a hint: The northernmost point is Fairbanks, Alaska. The southernmost point is just up the road from Mexico. Along the way four enroute stops are made. Based upon the fact that this is 1997 and we’re not talking about Alaska Airlines; can you identify the airline, the destination, the intermediate stops and the aircraft utilized?
Reno Air has been identified, as has FAI-ANC-SEA on the southbound route so far...

One almost final guess: FAI-ANC-SEA-RNO-LAX-TUS

Or: FAI-ANC-SEA-SJC-LAX-TUS

Equip: MD-80

And if it's not either one of these routings, I shall cease and desist.

Seat 2A Jun 7, 16 10:11 am


Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 26738836)
43. Here’s a flight that operates uniquely between this airline’s northernmost and southernmost points. And here’s a hint: The northernmost point is Fairbanks, Alaska. The southernmost point is just up the road from Mexico. Along the way four enroute stops are made. Based upon the fact that this is 1997 and we’re not talking about Alaska Airlines; can you identify the airline, the destination, the intermediate stops and the aircraft utilized?

One almost final guess:

FAI-ANC-SEA-RNO-LAX-TUS

Equip: MD-80

And if it's not either one of these routings, I shall cease and desist
.

Don't quit now! You are sooooooooo close! All you have to do is change just one of the cities!

jlemon Jun 7, 16 10:21 am


Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 26742541)
Don't quit now! You are sooooooooo close! All you have to do is change just one of the cities!

Ah....so what if I substitute SJC instead of RNO?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:58 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.