FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

jrl767 Sep 26, 2019 10:12 am

14- this is getting REALLY old ... despite my earlier guess of MCO, I don't recall EA narrow-body service to SJU from anywhere on the mainland besides MIA and ATL, but I know they had a bunch of multi-stop flights from the DC area to various Florida destinations
  1. Richmond (RIC)
  2. Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem (GSO)
  3. Tampa (TPA)

jlemon Sep 26, 2019 10:37 am

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 31564754)
Miami was also the location of the BAC North America sales office. It was moved from New York City in about 1968, coinciding with the end of the notably successful sales run of the shorter One-Eleven, to American, Braniff, Mohawk, and a few minor ones which had been managed from there. The Super One-Eleven (like the VC10) was never offered for certification by the FAA; whether BAC felt there would be no US takers, or whether there was some feature of the aircraft that was outside their parameters I don't know. Anyway the Miami office subsequently just managed to sell odd numbers (in ones and twos) of the aircraft, across the Caribbean and Central America.

The BAC Director of North American Sales from about 1967 was thus also felt to be a poor performer compared to his predecessor. He was one of the onetime test pilots on the original One-Eleven; I forget his name. A number of his colleagues had been killed in the crash of the prototype a few years beforehand, including well known Mike Lithgow, their chief.

Besides Cayman Airways and its flights to Houston Intercontinental and Miami, I believe other operators of the stretched Super One-Eleven series 500 in the Caribbean/Central America region included Aviateca (with Miami and New Orleans service), Bahamasair (with Miami service and perhaps also to another US destination or two), LACSA (with Miami service) and LIAT (with San Juan service).

jlemon Sep 26, 2019 10:40 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 31566186)
14- this is getting REALLY old ... despite my earlier guess of MCO, I don't recall EA narrow-body service to SJU from anywhere on the mainland besides MIA and ATL, but I know they had a bunch of multi-stop flights from the DC area to various Florida destinations
  1. Richmond (RIC)
  2. Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem (GSO)
  3. Tampa (TPA)

14. Ah.....the Eastern flight in question did not stop at any of these U.S. cities.

So here's a hint: all three of the stops we are looking for are located in the Caribbean.

jrl767 Sep 26, 2019 11:23 am

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 31566277)
14. Ah.....the Eastern flight in question did not stop at any of these U.S. cities. So here's a hint: all three of the stops we are looking for are located in the Caribbean.

that would have been FAR more useful ("Ah, you're in the right geographical area!") in response to my previous guess that included STT and STX

that aside, south to north:
  1. Barbados (BGI)
  2. Antigua (ANU)
  3. St Maarten (SXM)

jlemon Sep 26, 2019 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 31566468)
that would have been FAR more useful ("Ah, you're in the right geographical area!") in response to my previous guess that included STT and STX

that aside, south to north:
  1. Barbados (BGI)
  2. Antigua (ANU)
  3. St Maarten (SXM)

14. Nope, nope and nope!

jlemon Sep 27, 2019 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 31519397)
Continuing on.....

14. Man, it sure is cold in New York City in early 1976! So how about yet another sail trip at a much warmer location, this time in the Caribbean? Your old sailing buddy has his catamaran moored near old San Juan so all you have to do is get down there. Now you could fly nonstop to SJU....but you've found an interesting flight which operates daily and makes four stops en route. So with this in mind, identify the airport you will depart from in the New York City area, the airline, all four stops in order and the equipment. Eastern operating a B727-100 departing from Newark (EWR). The first stop was Baltimore (BAL). The next three stops were all made in the Caribbean.....but they were not made at ANU, BGI, STT, STX or SXM.

Still looking to close this one out......

jlemon Sep 27, 2019 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 31524321)
And once again continuing on.....

The following quiz items all have a time line of 1982.....

24. This airline was only serving two destinations in Alaska in early 1982. Name the air carrier and both destinations. And here's a hint: one of the destinations wasn't Fairbanks (FAI).

26. You've successfully concluded your business in Oklahoma City and have now been invited to join friends for dinner at Muriel's Restaurant on Jackson Square in the French Quarter of New Orleans. Ah, here's a convenient direct flight from OKC to MSY which makes one stop en route. Name the air carrier, the stop and the equipment. ANSWERED

27. You're back in New York City when the phone rings: "Hey man, I have found the perfect monohull sailboat for sale that we've been searching for! Can you go take a look at it? I'm home in Santa Barbara and am tied up on another deal!" Uh huh....and you wonder what her name is. So where is this perfect sailboat located? "It's moored at that old marina near the Aloha Tower Marketplace in Honolulu! When can you get there?" Is there a big rush? "Not really....our man over there says he will hold on to it until we make a decision". So with this in mind, you book a seat in first class on board a direct flight you've heard about that makes three stops en route. Identify the airport you will depart from in the New York City area, the airline, all three stops in order and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

And just three two one left to go here.......

jlemon Sep 27, 2019 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 31527640)
Continuing to continue on.....

The following quiz items have a time line of the fall of 1996.....

31. If you wanted to fly from London City Airport (LCY) nonstop to Eindhoven (EIN) in The Netherlands at this time, what airline would you call and what type of aircraft would you be flying on? ANSWERED

34. Only one air carrier was operating jet service from Cardiff (CWL) in Wales at this time with only one nonstop flight a day. Name the airline, the aircraft type and the destination served by this flight. ANSWERED

Meantime, it's a beautiful Friday afternoon here in south Louisiana with abundant sunshine, no thunderstorms and fairly low humidity. Time for a little cruise in the BMW M4! :cool:

jrl767 Sep 27, 2019 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 31554674)
27. You're back in New York City when the phone rings: "Hey man, I have found the perfect monohull sailboat for sale that we've been searching for! Can you go take a look at it? I'm home in Santa Barbara and am tied up on another deal!" Uh huh....and you wonder what her name is. So where is this perfect sailboat located? "It's moored at that old marina near the Aloha Tower Marketplace in Honolulu! When can you get there?" Is there a big rush? "Not really....our man over there says he will hold on to it until we make a decision". So with this in mind, you book a seat in first class on board a direct flight you've heard about that makes three stops en route. Identify the airport you will depart from in the New York City area, the airline, all three stops in order and the aircraft type.

27- four candidate airlines come to mind -- American, Continental, Northwest, and United; the third stop for all would have been either Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO), and the equipment would have been either a DC-10 or a 747
I'm going to say right away that both AA and CO are out of the mix, as I don't recall that either had any wide-body service that would have made two stops between JFK or Newark and the west coast

Chicago (ORD) and Denver (DEN) would be the logical intermediate stops for UA, but in thinking about their schedules I seem to remember that the DEN-LAX-HNL trip was an early morning departure, making a thru flight from NYC/ORD quite unlikely

so I'm going to guess this was NW, operating JFK - Detroit (DTW) - Minneapolis (MSP) - LAX - HNL with a 747

jlemon Sep 27, 2019 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 31570750)
27- four candidate airlines come to mind -- American, Continental, Northwest, and United; the third stop for all would have been either Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO), and the equipment would have been either a DC-10 or a 747
I'm going to say right away that both AA and CO are out of the mix, as I don't recall that either had any wide-body service that would have made two stops between JFK or Newark and the west coast

Chicago (ORD) and Denver (DEN) would be the logical intermediate stops for UA, but in thinking about their schedules I seem to remember that the DEN-LAX-HNL trip was an early morning departure, making a thru flight from NYC/ORD quite unlikely

so I'm going to guess this was NW, operating JFK - Detroit (DTW) - Minneapolis (MSP) - LAX - HNL with a 747

27. That is an excellent guess as I can see Northwest possibly operating this routing with a B747-200. However, it wasn't NW, the equipment wasn't a 747 and stops were not made at Detroit or Minneapolis/St Paul.

But on the plus side of the column, the flight did depart from New York Kennedy (JFK) and the third stop was made in Los Angeles (LAX).

And I think the air carrier along with the first two stops will be a bit of a surprise.

Toshbaf Sep 27, 2019 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 31570692)
Plus these two.....and once all of the above from # 14 to # 34 have been answered, I shall submit a new batch of quiz items.

l:

Not answering the LCY question is not because of lack of interest but lack of knowledge.

WHBM Sep 28, 2019 2:10 am

34. Only one air carrier was operating jet service from Cardiff (CWL) in Wales at this time with only one nonstop flight a day. Name the airline, the aircraft type and the destination served by this flight.
Ryanair 737-200 to Dublin.

jlemon Sep 28, 2019 9:02 am

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 31572399)
Ryanair 737-200 to Dublin.

34. Correct! Here are the scheds....

FR 881: Cardiff (CWL) 11:30a - 12:15p Dublin (DUB)
Op: Daily except Sundays
Service class: Y
Equip: B737-200

FR 881: Cardiff (CWL) 11:15a - 12:00n Dublin (DUB)
Op: Sundays only

FR 8883: Cardiff (CWL) 2:25p - 3:15p Dublin (DUB)
Op: Mondays only

Manx Airlines (JE) was also operating nonstop flights between Cardiff and Dublin as well at this same time but only twice a week with a BAe ATP on Mondays and a BAe Jetstream 41 on Sundays. Manx was operating ATP and/or J41 service from Cardiff to Jersey and the Isle of Man as well. In addition, Manx was operating codeshare flights from Cardiff for British Airways with J41 aircraft to Aberdeen, Belfast, Brussels, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester, Newcastle and Paris Charles de Gaulle. And another air carrier serving Cardiff at this time was AirUK operating codeshare service for KLM to Amsterdam with Fokker F50 and Saab 340 aircraft.

jlemon Sep 28, 2019 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Toshbaf (Post 31571911)
Not answering the LCY question is not because of lack of interest but lack of knowledge.

Here's a cryptic hint.....think blue jeans.

jrl767 Sep 28, 2019 9:49 am

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 31571749)
27. ... the flight did depart from New York Kennedy (JFK) and the third stop was made in Los Angeles (LAX).

And I think the air carrier along with the first two stops will be a bit of a surprise.

27- well, with that intriguing hint I will revisit an answer to an earlier question in this round — Pan Am, operating a Lockheed L-1011-500 via Miami (MIA) and Houston (IAH)