FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

jlemon Sep 25, 2019 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 31563275)
Sorry, no, B Cal and predecessors were always based at Gatwick.

Well, as some have been known to say down below the Mason-Dixon line here in the colonies, "Ah shorely didn't think that ole dog would hunt......"

jlemon Sep 25, 2019 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 31563370)
12. It's 1973 and you are in Miami. You need to travel to Kingston, Jamaica and have been informed of a flight which makes one stop en route and is operated five days a week. Your travel agent also tells you there will be a flight number change at the intermediate stop but you will only be on the ground for 30 minutes and will stay on the same aircraft for the continuing flight on to KIN. Identify the airline, the stop and the equipment.
The aircraft was a twin engine jet and this air carrier was not based in the U.S.

Let's start off with the obvious choice - Air Jamaica running a DC-9-30 MIA-MBJ-KIN

19. Now it's 1982 and you are in Peoria. You need to travel to to Los Angeles and are amazed to find a direct flight from PIA to LAX which operates daily and makes three stops en route. Identify the airline, all three stops in order and the aircraft type.
It was Continental operating a B727-200 with a routing of PIA - OMA - DEN - ___ - LAX. Still looking for the third stop which wasn't ONT, SNA, PSP or LAS.

Well in July of 1981 I flew a CO 727 routing DEN-PHX-LAX (later connecting to an Air New Zealand DC-10-30 in First Class LAX-PPT). Anyway, let's go with Phoenix as the intermediate stop

12. A very logical guess....however, it wasn't Air Jamaica, the flight did not stop at Montego Bay and the aircraft wasn't a DC-9-30.

19. Nope! Please guess again, sir!

Seat 2A Sep 25, 2019 3:25 pm

12. It's 1973 and you are in Miami. You need to travel to Kingston, Jamaica and have been informed of a flight which makes one stop en route and is operated five days a week. Your travel agent also tells you there will be a flight number change at the intermediate stop but you will only be on the ground for 30 minutes and will stay on the same aircraft for the continuing flight on to KIN. Identify the airline, the stop and the equipment.
The aircraft was a twin engine jet and this air carrier was not based in the U.S.

The only other airline that makes sense to me would be Cayman Airways running one of its newly acquired BAC-111s via Grand Cayman. I never knew them to offer through flights between Miami and Jamaica but geographically it makes sense.

19. Now it's 1982 and you are in Peoria. You need to travel to to Los Angeles and are amazed to find a direct flight from PIA to LAX which operates daily and makes three stops en route. Identify the airline, all three stops in order and the aircraft type.
It was Continental operating a B727-200 with a routing of PIA - OMA - DEN - ___ - LAX. Still looking for the third stop which wasn't ONT, SNA, PSP or LAS.

There ain't a lot else out there... How about Burbank

jrl767 Sep 25, 2019 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 31562371)
17. It's 1979 and Lake Tahoe is a beautiful place in the fall! You've been visiting with friends at their lake shore home but now it's time to get back to business which means a journey to Miami. However, you were planning to fly out of Lake Tahoe Airport which unfortunately has now been temporarily closed due to an early season snowstorm. "No problem," says one of your friends, "Let's hop into my four wheel drive Chevy Blazer and I'll drive you over to the airport in Reno. I've even got snow chains should we need them but I don't think we'll have any problem once we get over the pass and hit U.S. 395 north." So after some hastily revised travel plans, off you go. You will be flying on two airlines and thus making a connection. You will also be flying on board two different aircraft types. Your first flight will be nonstop to your connecting airport where you will have a layover of less than two hours. Your second flight will make one intermediate stop en route. So with this in mind, identify the first airline and the equipment, the connecting airport, the second airline and the equipment plus the stop made by the second flight. First you fly west and then you fly east. The same manufacturer built both aircraft types.

17- west from Reno ... that would have to be Sacramento or the three Bay Area airports; I don't recall DC-9 operator Hughes Air West having a big presence in RNO at this time, so I'm limiting my thought process to itineraries involving Boeing jets

although that really doesn't help too much, as an Air California 737 is an extremely logical choice for the short leg out of RNO to any of the four destinations, and the 727/72S were exceedingly common on flights to and from the mid-con hubs of all the airlines that also served MIA: AA (ORD, DFW), BN (DFW), CO (DEN, IAH), NA (IAH), TW (STL), UA (DEN, ORD)

that being said, I think it's better to start the guessing with a less common option of a 707 ... American, operating San Francisco (SFO) - Dallas/Ft Worth (DFW) - MIA

WHBM Sep 25, 2019 3:46 pm

The aircraft was a twin engine jet and this air carrier was not based in the U.S
What about Cayman Airways, through Grand Cayman with a BAC One-Eleven.

jlemon Sep 25, 2019 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 31563541)

The only other airline that makes sense to me would be Cayman Airways running one of its newly acquired BAC-111s via Grand Cayman. I never knew them to offer through flights between Miami and Jamaica but geographically it makes sense.

There ain't a lot else out there... How about Burbank

12. Cayman Airways is correct! And it wasn't just any BAC One-Eleven, it was the stretched 500 series, a rather rare bird here in the U.S. Here's the sched.....

KX 043: Miami (MIA) 7:30a - 8:50a Grand Cayman (GCM) 9:20a - 10:20a Kingston (KIN)
Op: MIA-GCM daily; GCM-KIN daily except Tuesdays and Saturdays
Service class: Y
Meal services: Breakfast MIA-GCM & GCM-KIN
Equip: BAC One-Eleven series 500
Note: Flight number change to KX 051 GCM-KIN with same plane service MIA-GCM-KIN

Miami was one of the few U.S. cities (other examples include Houston and New Orleans) to see service provided with the series 500 One-Eleven by foreign air carriers.

19. Burbank is correct! Here's the sched.....

CO 283: Peoria (PIA) 3:15p - 4:20p Omaha (OMA) 4:45p - 5:09p Denver (DEN) 5:40p - 6:48p Burbank (BUR) 7:15p - 7:34p Los Angeles (LAX)
Op: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Snack OMA-DEN, dinner DEN-BUR
Equip: B727-200

jlemon Sep 25, 2019 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 31563620)
What about Cayman Airways, through Grand Cayman with a BAC One-Eleven.

Yes indeed, it was KX....and Seat 2A correctly guessed this one as well (see above).

jlemon Sep 25, 2019 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 31563600)
17- west from Reno ... that would have to be Sacramento or the three Bay Area airports; I don't recall DC-9 operator Hughes Air West having a big presence in RNO at this time, so I'm limiting my thought process to itineraries involving Boeing jets

although that really doesn't help too much, as an Air California 737 is an extremely logical choice for the short leg out of RNO to any of the four destinations, and the 727/72S were exceedingly common on flights to and from the mid-con hubs of all the airlines that also served MIA: AA (ORD, DFW), BN (DFW), CO (DEN, IAH), NA (IAH), TW (STL), UA (DEN, ORD)

that being said, I think it's better to start the guessing with a less common option of a 707 ... American, operating San Francisco (SFO) - Dallas/Ft Worth (DFW) - MIA

17. Nope, it wasn't Air California and the equipment wasn't a Boeing 737-200 on the first flight from Reno. And yep, the connection was made at San Francisco (SFO). However, the airline wasn't American and the stop wasn't made at Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW). But the aircraft in question was a Boeing 707. Please guess again!

jrl767 Sep 25, 2019 5:18 pm

17- well, once again color me surprised (but not as much :p )

RNO-SFO, United 72S
SFO-STL-MIA, TWA 707

jlemon Sep 25, 2019 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 31563858)
17- well, once again color me surprised (but not as much :p )

RNO-SFO, United 72S
SFO-STL-MIA, TWA 707

17: RNO-SFO: United, nope! B727-200, yep!

SFO-___-MIA: TWA and STL - nope and nope! And we do know this flight was operated with a 707.

jrl767 Sep 25, 2019 5:44 pm

17- well, again again color me surprised :o

I think the first one is pretty straightforward: RNO-SFO, United Western 72S; the second, not so much

SFO-STLXXX-MIA, TWA 707

who else ran 707s domestically in 1979? the only one that comes to mind is Northwest, but their relevant mid-con routes were SFO-MSP and ORD-MIA, and I have to think these would have seen tri-jets both large (DC-10) and small (727/72S)

unless ... this was a Pan Am Clipper operating on National's former route over Houston (IAH) ?

WHBM Sep 25, 2019 11:35 pm

BAC One-Eleven, it was the stretched 500 series, a rather rare bird here in the U.S.... Miami was one of the few U.S. cities (other examples include Houston and New Orleans) to see service provided with the series 500 One-Eleven by foreign air carriers.
Miami was also the location of the BAC North America sales office. It was moved from New York City in about 1968, coinciding with the end of the notably successful sales run of the shorter One-Eleven, to American, Braniff, Mohawk, and a few minor ones which had been managed from there. The Super One-Eleven (like the VC10) was never offered for certification by the FAA; whether BAC felt there would be no US takers, or whether there was some feature of the aircraft that was outside their parameters I don't know. Anyway the Miami office subsequently just managed to sell odd numbers (in ones and twos) of the aircraft, across the Caribbean and Central America.

The BAC Director of North American Sales from about 1967 was thus also felt to be a poor performer compared to his predecessor. He was one of the onetime test pilots on the original One-Eleven; I forget his name. A number of his colleagues had been killed in the crash of the prototype a few years beforehand, including well known Mike Lithgow, their chief.

jrl767 Sep 26, 2019 9:47 am

14- EWR-SJU ... Eastern 727-100, BAL plus three more stops ... one more wild guess here:
  1. Washington Dulles (IAD)
  2. St Thomas (STT)
  3. St Croix (STX)

jlemon Sep 26, 2019 9:53 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 31563924)
17- well, again again color me surprised :o

I think the first one is pretty straightforward: RNO-SFO, United Western 72S; the second, not so much

SFO-STLXXX-MIA, TWA 707

who else ran 707s domestically in 1979? the only one that comes to mind is Northwest, but their relevant mid-con routes were SFO-MSP and ORD-MIA, and I have to think these would have seen tri-jets both large (DC-10) and small (727/72S)

unless ... this was a Pan Am Clipper operating on National's former route over Houston (IAH) ?

17. Western and Pan Am are both correct! Here are the scheds.....

WA 77: Reno (RNO) 8:10a - 8:58a San Francisco (SFO)
Op: Mondays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays only
Equip: 72S

Other airlines operating RNO-SFO nonstops at this same time included United with nine flights a day, seven with the B727-100, one with a B727-200 and one with a B737-200. PSA was also operating two nonstops on the route both with the B727-100 while Western operated an additional nonstop on a daily basis with a B727-200.

Connecting to.....

PA 439: San Francisco (SFO) 10:45a - 4:10p Houston Intercontinental (IAH) 5:15p - 8:15p Miami (MIA)
Op: Daily
Meal service: Lunch SFO-IAH, Dinner IAH-MIA
Equip: 707

This was the only flight operated by Pan Am between SFO and IAH as well as IAH and MIA and was flown round trip on a daily basis.

You also mentioned National Airlines. Well, National was still around at this time and was operating two nonstop flights a day from SFO to IAH, one with a B727-100 and the other with a DC-10. The other competitor on the SFO-IAH route was American with two nonstop flights both operated with the B727-100. One of these AA nonstops to IAH departed SFO five minutes after the Pan Am flight. And from IAH to MIA, National was operating three nonstops a day with B727-100, B727-200 and DC-10 equipment while Continental was operating five nonstops a day, two with the B727-100 and three with the B727-200. So the Clipper obviously had some competition.

jlemon Sep 26, 2019 9:56 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 31566108)
14- EWR-SJU ... Eastern 727-100, BAL plus three more stops ... one more wild guess here:
  1. Washington Dulles (IAD)
  2. St Thomas (STT)
  3. St Croix (STX)

14. Nope, nope and nope!