FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

jrl767 Sep 18, 2019 11:39 am

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 31538675)
29. Well, according to the July 1, 1983 OAG United was operating not one but two B767-200 nonstops from Long Beach to Denver on a daily basis and was also the only airline operating nonstop service between LGB and DEN at this time. Here's the sched for the flight in question.....

UA 488: Long Beach (LGB) 4:00p - 7:00p Denver (DEN) 7:50p - 10:30p Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP)
Op: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Equip: 767

And the other 767 flight from LGB to DEN (UA 694) continued on to Philadelphia (PHL).

well harumph~
in all the back-and-forth over the past few days I had apparently lost lock on the date reference, and was thinking this one pertained to 1982 :mad:

I actually flew aboard N617UA DEN-LGB in Jan 1983

WHBM Sep 18, 2019 11:57 am

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 31538332)
Ah yes, and the memory of seeing this fine airplane at Duxford not too long ago did help a bit with regard to my answer..... :)

And I also did not think Dan-Air was operating a Comet on the route.....

Well actually, I'll bet they did on odd occasions later on. Dan-Air based one, sometimes two, Comets at Newcastle for much of the time they operated the type, for various holiday flights to the Mediterranean, and knowing them it likely stood in on the Stavanger service occasionally. Certainly the BAC One-Eleven got scheduled on the run as the high-paying loads picked up through the 1970s and 80s. They also from Newcastle ran One-Elevens to London Gatwick, and a surprisingly longstanding prop plane service, the "City-Link", from there through various UK points ending up in Bristol, which used I think every one of their prop aircraft types over time, which of course was quite a lot. They had a crew base there for many years.

Toshbaf Sep 18, 2019 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 31538772)
well harumph~
in all the back-and-forth over the past few days I had apparently lost lock on the date reference, and was thinking this one pertained to 1982 :mad:

I actually flew aboard N617UA DEN-LGB in Jan 1983

I flew aboard N612UA in 1986. Sadly, on a flight 15 years later, Osama and his associates destroyed the plane.

jlemon Sep 18, 2019 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by curiouspax (Post 31528605)
Timeline: 1986 - 1990 - Nov/Dec

Flight direct: YUL - PIT
Time of day: 17:00 - 20:00

Hint: 2/4/2 seating
I was the only PAX on that flight!!

Bonus Question:
---------------
We were last into PIT and Airport was shut for 2 days due to blizzard
Missed my connect that night PIT - CRW

What was the date?

Hmmmm....are we going to be provided with your answers to these?

Seat 2A Sep 19, 2019 1:57 pm

Good to see you all percolating along so nicely. I'm about to board the California Zephyr where I have a roomette reserved for the 49 hour trip across the great American West to Sacramento. I look forward to rejoining you all in few days. Additionally, here's hoping JL and LK ride out the storm as well as they can.

strickerj Sep 19, 2019 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 31542980)
Good to see you all percolating along so nicely. I'm about to board the California Zephyr where I have a roomette reserved for the 49 hour trip across the great American West to Sacramento. I look forward to rejoining you all in few days. Additionally, here's hoping JL and LK ride out the storm as well as they can.

Enjoy! We’re planning a Route 66 trip with the return direction on the California Zephyr. I’ve been on it before but only from Chicago to Denver, so we missed the most scenic parts.

jlemon Sep 19, 2019 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 31542980)

So far, so good here in the LFT area with regard to Tropical Depression Imelda. We had strong tropical squalls with heavy rain here yesterday but no flooding. And we have less rain today.

However, west of us, the Beaumont, Texas area is experiencing "major, catastrophic flooding" according to our National Weather Service with one location over in that area reporting 45 inches (!) of rain during the past three days due to Imelda.

jrl767 Sep 19, 2019 11:18 pm

here’s wishing Seat 2A a pleasant trip!

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 31530655)
(1982) 26.You've successfully concluded your business in Oklahoma City and have now been invited to join friends for dinner at Muriel's Restaurant on Jackson Square in the French Quarter of New Orleans. Ah, here's a convenient direct flight from OKC to MSY which makes one stop en route. Name the air carrier, the stop and the equipment.

26- I think it’s time for an airline we haven’t seen too often here in the Quiz — Southwest — with (of course) a 737-200, and a stop at Dallas Love Field (DAL)

jlemon Sep 20, 2019 10:04 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 31544167)

26- I think it’s time for an airline we haven’t seen too often here in the Quiz — Southwest — with (of course) a 737-200, and a stop at Dallas Love Field (DAL)

26. Ah, it wasn't Southwest, the aircraft wasn't a B737-200 and the stop was not made at DAL. So here's a hint: first class was available on this flight.

jrl767 Sep 20, 2019 10:11 am

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 31545474)
26. Ah, it wasn't Southwest, the aircraft wasn't a B737-200 and the stop was not made at DAL. So here's a hint: first class was available on this flight.

26- before their shutdown in May of 1982, it could have been Braniff with a 727 (most likely a -227) stopping at DFW

jlemon Sep 20, 2019 10:48 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 31545497)
26- before their shutdown in May of 1982, it could have been Braniff with a 727 (most likely a -227) stopping at DFW

26. No, it wasn't Braniff and the flight did not stop at Dallas/Fort Worth. However, the aircraft was a 727.

jlemon Sep 20, 2019 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 31519232)

Please limit your responses to two quiz items per day so that all may participate. We are also looking for complete and specific answers here, as always. Thanks! :cool:

2. In 1957, two different air carriers were cooperating concerning round trip service operated twice a week between Nassau and Havana. This flight made the same intermediate stop in each direction. Name both airlines, the stop and the aircraft type operated on the route. ANSWERED

5. It's 1960 and you are in Minneapolis. You're off to Miami and will be flying in first class with this daily flight making two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops and the aircraft type. It was Eastern operating an L-188 Electra. First stop was Chicago Midway. Still looking for the second stop which wasn't SDF, ATL, MEM, IND, PIE or BNA.

The following two quiz items both have a time line of 1967....

8. This airline made the following statement concerning a new aircraft type in its fleet:

__________ Airlines' 560 mph Interstate Highway

Fill in the blank concerning the identity of air carrier and name the aircraft. It was a twin engine aircraft

9. It's time to go sailing! You are in Dallas and your old sailing buddy has just docked his catamaran at Freeport in the Bahamas. And there just happens to be a direct daily flight from DAL to FPO which makes two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops and the equipment. The air carrier in question is no longer in existence

Still looking to close these out with some hints now added.....

jlemon Sep 20, 2019 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 31519397)
Continuing on.....

12. It's 1973 and you are in Miami. You need to travel to Kingston, Jamaica and have been informed of a flight which makes one stop en route and is operated five days a week. Your travel agent also tells you there will be a flight number change at the intermediate stop but you will only be on the ground for 30 minutes and will stay on the same aircraft for the continuing flight on to KIN. Identify the airline, the stop and the equipment. This flight was operated with a twin engine aircraft type

14. Man, it sure is cold in New York City in early 1976! So how about yet another sail trip at a much warmer location, this time in the Caribbean? Your old sailing buddy has his catamaran moored near old San Juan so all you have to do is get down there. Now you could fly nonstop to SJU....but you've found an interesting flight which operates daily and makes four stops en route. So with this in mind, identify the airport you will depart from in the New York City area, the airline, all four stops in order and the equipment. First class was available on this flight

The next two quiz items both have a time line of 1979.....

15. You are in Vancouver, B.C. where you've just finished a project assignment. Now you need to head to Tampa for a meeting in advance of your next project. Much to your surprise, you find there is a direct daily flight from YVR to TPA which makes four stops en route. Name the air carrier, all four stops in order and the aircraft. ANSWERED

17. Lake Tahoe is a beautiful place in the fall! You've been visiting with friends at their lake shore home but now it's time to get back to business which means a journey to Miami. However, you were planning to fly out of Lake Tahoe Airport which unfortunately has now been temporarily closed due to an early season snowstorm. "No problem," says one of your friends, "Let's hop into my four wheel drive Chevy Blazer and I'll drive you over to the airport in Reno. I've even got snow chains should we need them but I don't think we'll have any problem once we get over the pass and hit U.S. 395 north." So after some hastily revised travel plans, off you go. You will be flying on two airlines and thus making a connection. You will also be flying on board two different aircraft types. Your first flight will be nonstop to your connecting airport where you will have a layover of less than two hours. Your second flight will make one intermediate stop en route. So with this in mind, identify the first airline and the equipment, the connecting airport, the second airline and the equipment plus the stop made by the second flight. First you fly west and then you fly east.....

18. In 1981, this airline announced it would begin offering a first class service named "Upper Class" on its transatlantic flights into and out of London Gatwick Airport. It stated this "Upper Class" service would include "fine wines, five-star cuisine and complimentary chauffeur-driven Rolls-Royce service to and from Gatwick Airport". Name the air carrier and the equipment it was operating into LGW. And no, it wasn't Virgin Atlantic. It wasn't World or Western. The aircraft was a DC-10. I have also corrected the year this service was introduced to 1981.

19. Now it's 1982 and you are in Peoria. You need to travel to to Los Angeles and are amazed to find a direct flight from PIA to LAX which operates daily and makes three stops en route. Identify the airline, all three stops in order and the aircraft type. The airline was Continental operating a B727-200 with a routing of PIA - OMA - DEN - ___ - LAX. The third stop wasn't ONT, SNA or PSP.

20. Also in 1982, this air carrier was operating only three eastbound departures a day from Las Vegas, all of which were red eye flights departing between just after midnight to just before 2:00 am and all of which were flown with the same aircraft type. Each flight operated nonstop to a different city and two of the flights continued on to other destinations. Identify the airline, the equipment it operated on all three flights and the three different destinations it served nonstop from LAS at this time. ANSWERED

And I've added some hints to the above as well.....

jrl767 Sep 20, 2019 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 31546228)
5. It's still 1960 and you are now in Minneapolis. You're off to Miami and will be flying in first class with this daily flight making two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops and the aircraft type. Equipment was a turboprop

5- I'll offer with high certainty that the aircraft in question was a red-tailed Northwest Electra that made its first stop at Chicago Midway (MDW) ... second stop perhaps Tampa (TPA)

jrl767 Sep 20, 2019 2:53 pm

26- there may well have been another 727 operating OKC-XXX-MSY (Continental over Houston IAH is the only possibility that comes to mind), but Braniff 's 25 April 1982 timetable shows Flight 349 OKC-DFW-MSY
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...5c8d8cdf10.jpg

the 730pm scheduled arrival would mean a French Quarter dinner reservation no earlier than 830pm, but that isn't at all unreasonable ...