Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
15. When I die and go to heaven, I’ll probably connect in Atlanta”. That old quip notwithstanding, you’ve had uniquely bad luck of late with connections – wherever they may be – so much so that for your upcoming flight between Dallas and West Palm Beach you’ve booked yourself upon the late afternoon five-stopper. It’ll be a long day, but a couple of good books should ease the pain. Identify the airline, aircraft and all five of the enroute stops in order, please.

I initially went after this with the intent of finding a plausible itinerary that avoided ATL entirely Now that you have declared DL the airline of record, ATL would logically be the last stop, and the first four might have been Shreveport (SHV), Monroe (MLU), Jackson (JAN), and Birmingham (BHM) ... DL actually had both the -10 and the -30 in their fleet in 1970, so the correct answer will be revealed whether I guess right or wrong ... just for grins let's say the -10

Now we're rollin'! The first four stops were SHV, JAN, BHM and ATL. There was another stop between ATL and PBI. Additionally, the a/c was not a -10. So then, it must've been...

Well, the jet is obviously a D9S; the stop between ATL and PBI — being neither TLH nor MCO nor TPA — is much less evident ... I’ll speculate Jacksonville (JAX) to start

Good start there, J, and finish as well. Here's the entire schedule:

Delta DL 728 Dallas (DAL) 454p-535p Shreveport (SHV) 555p-637p Jackson (JAN) 700p-741p Birmingham (BHM) 801p-937p Atlanta (ATL) 1030p-1124p Jacksonville (JAX) 1145p-1237a West Palm Beach (PBI) DC-9-30 Daily
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
3. (1970) An old college friend has invited you to join her and six of your classmates at a mini-reunion on the big island of Hawaii. Can you make it? A quick glance out the window of your Manhattan loft at the wintry gray day makes this an easy decision. From JFK, there is a single two-stop direct flight departing each Saturday morning. A change of gauge is required enroute but First Class is available all the way through. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, aircraft involved and the routing (including the aircraft switch point)

In 1970, Hilo was the big airport and Kona, on the west coast of the Big Island, was in its infancy. In 2019, the reverse is true, KOA has much more traffic than ITO, if I had to guess.

Northwest Orient, JFK-SEA, 747
SEA-HNL-ITO DC-10-40

Well, Northwest is correct and a 747 was partially involved. Beyond that however, you'll need to reassess your routing and aircraft. The flight did not go through Seattle and the DC-10 did not join Northwest's fleet until two years later in 1972. Please, guess again! .

Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
6- how about Hartford (BDL) as the MO BAC 1-11 stop between BUF and BOS?

EDIT -- oops, never mind, I see that the illustrious jlemon already provided this answer ...

Originally Posted by jlemon
... I still have my "Honu" golf shirt.....
I'm presently wearing a "Honu" t-shirt that I acquired in Kona

Last edited by jrl767; Apr 9, 2019 at 1:34 pm
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
33. Identify the only non-Pratt & Whitney powered twin jet (operating scheduled flights) that you’ll see in Bangkok in the late summer of 1972. Airline and aircraft type, please.

This was after the quite substantial Thai Caravelle fleet had been sent back to Scandinavia, and before the A300 came along. Caravelles had come and gone with others in the region, so I'll go for a Garuda F.28, likely running in from nearby Medan.

A quick check of the reference I used for this question showed no service from Medan to Bangkok. Next I checked the schedules to/from Medan which revealed jet service from a single Garuda DC-9 and a single Malaysian 737.

BTW, I'm always happy to check schedules for anyone and, if you like, take a photo of any schedules which I can then forward along via PM. That said, I'm leaving in two hours, headed for El Paso, Texas, there to catch a train to some town in Louisiana. As such, there'll be no access to schedules until later in April.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

6. Of all the days to get a flat tire! Now you’re sitting on I-35, nine miles from Minneapolis International and there’s no way you’re going to make your nonstop flight to Boston. A quick call to your travel agent reveals that the next direct flight to Boston is a two stopper that’ll arrive Boston mid-afternoon. You quickly book a seat. Identify the airline, aircraft and the enroute stops, please.
Mohawk BAC-111 Need correct routing

However, on the other hand, this flight may have stopped at Hartford following the initial stop at Buffalo.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! And we have a winner, folks! Here's the schedule:

Mohawk MO 182 Minneapolis (MSP) 1115a-158p L Buffalo (BUF) 215p-313p Hartford (BDL) 325-356p Boston (BOS) BAC-111 X6

The current Kona Airport opened in 1970 with a 6,500 foot runway. By 1994, the runway at KOA had been extended to 11,000 feet. This enabled JAL to begin nonstop Tokyo-Kona service in 1996 and also facilitated domestic wide body operations from the U.S. mainland (I think United was the first to do so with the DC-10).

I loved the open air terminal at KOA in the 70s. It was a beautiful sight to gaze through the palms at your waiting aircraft. There were no jetways. I flew through Kona on a number of occasions in the 70s and 80s aboard Aloha 737s and United DC-8-71s.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 9, 2019 at 12:01 pm
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Way to clear 'em off, gang! Just six more...

The following quiz items have a time line of the autumn of 1970

3. An old college friend has invited you to join her and six of your classmates at a mini-reunion on the big island of Hawaii. Can you make it? A quick glance out the window of your Manhattan loft at the wintry gray day makes this an easy decision. From JFK, there is a single two-stop direct flight departing each Saturday morning. A change of gauge is required enroute but First Class is available all the way through. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, aircraft involved and the routing (including the aircraft switch point)
A N S W E R E D

12. You’re all set to fly to from Chicago to Billings, Montana for the weekend. Unfortunately, a couple of things have come up at the office that mean you’ll have to switch from your 100p nonstop to something a bit later. A call to your travel agent reveals that unfortunately, no seats are available in any class to Billings until early this evening. But wait! If you can get over to Chicago’s lightly used Midway Airport, there’s a two stop flight departing at 220pm. It’s even got some larger seats up in the front of the aircraft. Book it, Danno! Identify the usual triumvirate, including the two stops enroute.
A N S W E R E D

14. Working solely from schedules published in the North American edition of the OAG, I have found five different international flights into the U.S. that are each operated with a unique aircraft type that was manufactured outside of the U.S. Each flight is operated by a different foreign airline and in each case, the route is the only route into the U.S. using that aircraft type. In other words, you will find only one – not two – routes into the U.S. operated by say, a Dassault Mercure. And again, we are working only with schedules published in the North American OAG. So then, if you’re up for it, identify each of the five routes, airlines and aircraft types.
See latest responses below

The following quiz item has a time line of the first quarter of 1973

21. The airline you usually fly between Detroit and New Orleans is on strike. So it is that you find yourself booked on a two-stop late afternoon departure. This airline utilizes an aircraft that until recently was not operated by your usual airline on the DTW-MSY route. As an added bonus, two dinners and a snack will be served along the way. Identify the airline, the two stops and the aircraft type.
It was neither Delta nor a DC-9-10

The following quiz items have a time line from the summer of 1972

23. Aside from Delta’s flights, if you wanted to fly aboard a Convair 880 out of Miami during the summer of 1972, only one other airline offered scheduled flights. Identify that airline and the destination it served.
It's not LANICA or VIASA... But it is from a Central American country and the airline's name was an acronym

32. Identify this airline that simultaneously operated three different types of four-engine narrow bodied jetliners - each built in a different country
The Concorde was not one of the airplanes

32B: BONUS QUESTION: Name another airline that operated not three, not four BUT FIVE different types of four engine narrow bodied jetliners - but NOT all at the same time.
BOAC/BA has been identified so far. There's at least one more...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 11, 2019 at 8:41 am
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
12. You’re all set to fly to from Chicago to Billings, Montana for the weekend. Unfortunately, a couple of things have come up at the office that mean you’ll have to switch from your 100p nonstop to something a bit later. A call to your travel agent reveals that unfortunately, no seats are available in any class to Billings until early this evening. But wait! If you can get over to Chicago’s lightly used Midway Airport, there’s a two stop flight departing at 220pm. It’s even got some larger seats up in the front of the aircraft. Book it, Danno! Identify the usual triumvirate, including the two stops enroute.
It was not a Northwest Electra
12- how's about a United 737 operating via Omaha (OMA) and Denver (DEN)

14. Working solely from schedules published in the North American edition of the OAG, I have found five different international flights into the U.S. that are each operated with a unique aircraft type that was manufactured outside of the U.S. Each flight is operated by a different foreign airline and in each case, the route is the only route into the U.S. using that aircraft type. In other words, you will find only one – not two – routes into the U.S. operated by say, a Dassault Mercure. And again, we are working only with schedules published in the North American OAG. So then, if you’re up for it, identify each of the five routes, airlines and aircraft types.
14- we're just missing data for a BAC 1-11 into MIA; yesterday's last guess -- Cayman Airways from Grand Cayman/GCM -- is still awaiting feedback ...

Last edited by jrl767; Apr 9, 2019 at 1:47 pm
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Interesting to note the location of the current Kona Airport on the Big Island of Hawaii was primarily occupied by the Pacific Ocean prior to the year 1800. Then in 1800-1801 the Hualalai volcano (summit elevation 8,271 feet at the present time) erupted sending a huge amount of lava west toward the sea. This eruption of lava extended the coast line about a mile west and formed Keahole Point which is the westernmost point on the Big Island. When the airport was constructed, it has been reported that Bechtel, the primary contractor, had to use around three million pounds of dynamite to assist in leveling the lava field where the the airport is located and also had to take special care not to leave any lava tubes underneath the runway, taxiways, ramps and adjacent areas. And by the way, Hualalai is still considered to be an active volcano.

The old airport which served Kona prior to 1970 is now the Old Kona Airport State Recreation Area (known as "Old A" by the locals). This was a very small airfield located just north of Kailua-Kona immediately adjacent to the ocean with a runway length of a mere 3,800 feet and no parallel taxiway. In the early 1960's, Aloha was serving the old airport with Fairchild F-27 equipment while Hawaiian was operating Convair 340 equipment. Hawaiian then introduced Convair 640 service in 1966. And by the late 1960's, both Aloha and Hawaiian were attempting to serve the old airport with jet equipment, Aloha with the BAC One-Eleven and Hawaiian with the DC9-10. This must have been interesting given the short runway length. Old timers on the Big Island told me in the past that in most if not all cases jet flights were weight restricted. In 1968 I believe Aloha was primarily operating the Vickers Viscount into the old airport with just two BAC One-Eleven flights a day and by 1969 it appears that Hawaiian was operating just about all of its flights from the old airport with the DC9. I'll bet it was rough on the equipment.
Seat 2A likes this.

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 11, 2019 at 8:18 am Reason: "Think you used enough dynamite there, Butch?" & correction
Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by OskiBear
33. Identify the only non-Pratt & Whitney powered twin jet (operating scheduled flights) that you’ll see in Bangkok in the late summer of 1972. Airline and aircraft type, please.
How about Air Siam with a BAC One-Eleven?
How 'bout it? Great answer, Oski! You are indeed correct! At later times in its history Air Siam also flew the DC-10 and the 747

Good spot indeed. Air Siam only had the One-Eleven for a few months, they leased it from a Singapore executive operator, who otherwise used it on charters for the mining and oil industries in Indonesia. It stayed on the Singapore registry and likely came with the original crew (almost certainly UK or Australian expats) as well. It was an ex-Autair aircraft, the one they sold off that didn't go to Cambrian. Later, after further Far East charter work, it came back to the UK and ran for British Island for some years.

Air Siam sometimes Varan Air Siam after its principal owner, seemed to work through one of everything over its few years. They actually got the first ever A300 into service, beating Air France, but that went back after a short while as well, and also a DC8-63 service to LAX that lasted just months.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
3. (1970) An old college friend has invited you to join her and six of your classmates at a mini-reunion on the big island of Hawaii. Can you make it? A quick glance out the window of your Manhattan loft at the wintry gray day makes this an easy decision. From JFK, there is a single two-stop direct flight departing each Saturday morning. A change of gauge is required enroute but First Class is available all the way through. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, aircraft involved and the routing (including the aircraft switch point)
revised answer

Northwest Orient, JFK-PDX, 747
PDX-HNL-ITO 707
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

21. The airline you usually fly between Detroit and New Orleans is on strike. So it is that you find yourself booked on a two-stop late afternoon departure. This airline utilizes an aircraft that until recently was not operated by your usual airline on the DTW-MSY route. As an added bonus, two dinners and a snack will be served along the way. Identify the airline, the two stops and the aircraft type.
21. Well, I could guess something plain vanilla here....like Delta operating a DC9-30 on routing of DTW-ORD-STL-MSY (the multiple meal services en route do seem to suggest DL as the likely suspect).

But what the heck.....let's get a bit exotic and stay with Delta but go with a DC9-10 featuring first and coach and flying a routing of DTW-CVG-BHM-MSY.

And the opening of the brand new, 35 gate passenger terminal at the Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport is now just over one month away.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Greetings from windy El Paso, Texas. We're talking some serious wind gusts that tossed our little Embraer 175 strongly enough on the approach that I felt it might be a good idea to tighten my seatbelt. Visibility is about half a mile. There is a lot of dust and sand being blown about. It's almost 80 degrees here - but mercifully dry - much nicer than the mugginess in Portland and Seattle this morning. On a positive note, I did have a delicious Steak Ranchero in the hotel restaurant this afternoon. And - now that I've finally figured out how to connect to the hotel's internet (it's not like I haven't done it thousands of times before, but the process was particularly difficult this afternoon) let's address your many responses. Afterwards, I look forward to taking advantage of the $2.00 Tecates and Margaritas at Happy Hour.

Originally Posted by jrl767
It was not a Northwest Electra

How's about a United 737 operating via Omaha (OMA) and Denver (DEN)

The flight did go through Omaha and was also operated with a 737-200. It did not go through Denver however, and it was not operated by United. So armed with this additional information, I expect the truth shall be revealed very shortly.

We're just missing data for a BAC 1-11 into MIA; yesterday's last guess -- Cayman Airways from Grand Cayman/GCM -- is still awaiting feedback ...

Sorry, J - I must've missed that amidst the plethora of responses. The 1-11 did come into Miami from Grand Cayman, but it was not operated by Cayman Airways...
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
Air Siam sometimes Varan Air Siam after its principal owner, seemed to work through one of everything over its few years. They actually got the first ever A300 into service, beating Air France, but that went back after a short while as well, and also a DC8-63 service to LAX that lasted just months.
Thank you for the additional detail, W - it's always appreciated ^. After Thai International, there weren't a lot of DC-8-63 operators around continental Southeast Asia. The only other one I was aware of was Singapore's Saber Air. Now you've got me looking around to see if any postcards have been issued of Air Siam's -63. Perhaps it was flown in a hybrid livery (which I don't collect)
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf

Northwest Orient, JFK-PDX, 747
PDX-HNL-ITO 707

Sorry, Mr. T - you've got the correct airline and aircraft combination, but your routing is way off. PDX was not in the routing and I don't believe NW ever operated 747s on the PDX-SEA route. If they operated it at all, that is. For some reason I'm thinking PDX-JFK was United's but hey - I too could be way off with that one. Perhaps some of the other cognoscenti might comment... Regardless, we need a new routing that doesn't include PDX or SEA or MSP.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, I could guess something plain vanilla here....like Delta operating a DC9-30 on routing of DTW-ORD-STL-MSY (the multiple meal services en route do seem to suggest DL as the likely suspect). But what the heck.....let's get a bit exotic and stay with Delta but go with a DC9-10 featuring first and coach and flying a routing of DTW-CVG-BHM-MSY.

Sorry, JL, but it was not Delta, nor was it a DC-9-10 operating through any of the airports you've submitted (except for DTW and MSY ) Please do have another go at this one!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.