Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA
3- BA VC-10 Kingston (KIN) - JFK Correct airline & aircraft ~ incorrect route (but you're in the right neighborhood)
I think the VC-10 (which was a Super) flight in the North American OAG of the time would be JFK-Bermuda, running through from London, whereas the Jamaica flight was a 707, through from Manchester and Prestwick. The Bermuda flight was the second BOAC service to go over to the 747, just a few hours after the first from London to JFK. For one aircraft it fitted nicely LHR-JFK-BDA and back within a 24 hour cycle.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
4- LANICA BAC 1-11, Managua (MGA) - MIA Correct aircraft ~ incorrect airline and route (The flight did come into Miami)
since we recently discussed both TACA and Aviateca, I’ll posit SAHSA from Tegucigalpa (TGU)
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
I think the VC-10 (which was a Super) flight in the North American OAG of the time would be JFK-Bermuda, running through from London, whereas the Jamaica flight was a 707, through from Manchester and Prestwick. The Bermuda flight was the second BOAC service to go over to the 747, just a few hours after the first from London to JFK. For one aircraft it fitted nicely LHR-JFK-BDA and back within a 24 hour cycle.
Interesting to note these New York/Newark (JFK and EWR) to Bermuda (BDA) schedules from an OAG early in 1976 with all flights offering first and coach (F/Y)....

EA 807: New York (JFK) 9:35a - 12:25p Bermuda
Freq: Daily
Equip: 727
Meal service: Breakfast

AA 639: Newark (EWR) 9:55a - 12:50p Bermuda
Equip: 707
Meal service: Breakfast

AA 543: New York (JFK) 10:20a - 1:20p Bermuda
Equip: 747
Meal service: Lunch

EA 811: Newark (EWR) 10:45a - 1:39p Bermuda
Equip: 72S

EA 805: New York (JFK) 2:00p - 4:50p Bermuda
Freq: Saturdays only
Equip: 727

BA 580: New York (JFK) 2:45p - 5:45p Bermuda
Equip: V10
Meal service: (none listed in the OAG)
Note: BA 580 operated with VC-10 equipment discontinued after Feb. 21

BA 580: New York (JFK) 2:45p - 5:45p Bermuda
Meal service: (none listed in the OAG)
Equip: 707
Note: BA 580 operated with 707 equipment effective Feb. 22

As you mentioned, the BA aircraft, whether a VC-10 or 707, then turned around in Bermuda and flew back to New York as BA 581 operating on a daily basis departing BDA at 6:50 pm and arriving into JFK at 8:00 pm. And once again, no meal service was listed in the OAG for this flight as well.
Seat 2A and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: BA
5. After a week of sailing the Caribbean, it’s time to dock in Antigua and catch a flight home to Miami. Rather amazingly, you’ve got a choice of three morning departures to choose from – each of them operated by a different airline operating a different type of equipment. You decide to go with the only airline that operates the all-economy class configured aircraft. Two stops will be made in route. You know the drill by now. Airline. Equipment. Routing. Good luck, Mon!
I think this will be our old friend the Air France Caribbean Caravelle operation, likely stopping at San Juan and Port au Prince. I guess the other two carriers would be Pan Am and BWIA.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
19. You do love a good milk-run! Imagine then your surprise and delight to have booked a seat aboard this 4-stop gem between St. Louis and Memphis. Identify the airline, the aircraft type and the four enroute stops.

More likely than not, I won't be able to answer this but another try... Delta Air Lines, 737, STL - DFW - SHV - MLU - JAN - MEM

C'mon now, T - think positive! Even though this one is a bit off -the airline was not Delta, the aircraft was not a 737 and the stops were more regional, i.e. between STL & MEM - I'm confident you'll eventually prevail..

Alright, so we know it's not Delta or Ozark... how about...____________________
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
19. You do love a good milk-run! Imagine then your surprise and delight to have booked a seat aboard this 4-stop gem between St. Louis and Memphis. Identify the airline, the aircraft type and the four enroute stops.

More likely than not, I won't be able to answer this but another try... Delta Air Lines, 737, STL - DFW - SHV - MLU - JAN - MEM ... the airline was not Delta, the aircraft was not a 737 and the stops were more regional, i.e. between STL & MEM

Alright, so we know it's not Delta or Ozark...
19- well, Central was long gone by 1973, and I think Southern only came up to STL nonstop from MEM, so my guess is that we're looking at a Frontier Convair 580 ... the stops being:
  1. Ft Leonard Wood (TBN)
  2. Fayetteville (FYV)
  3. Ft Smith (FSM)
  4. Little Rock (LIT)
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
6. Of all the days to get a flat tire! Now you’re sitting on I-35, nine miles from Minneapolis International and there’s no way you’re going to make your nonstop flight to Boston. A quick call to your travel agent reveals that the next direct flight to Boston is a two stopper that’ll arrive Boston mid-afternoon. You quickly book a seat. Identify the airline, aircraft and the enroute stops, please.

Wild guess time on a cloudy and very windy Sunday afternoon as thunderstorms approach the LFT area from the west..... Mohawk operating a BAC One-Eleven with stops in Buffalo and Syracuse.

You've got the correct airline and aircraft, but Syracuse was not the final stop. This oughta be a tap in for you, JL. Good luck!

Mohawk MSP-BUF-____-BOS BAC-111

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 8, 2019 at 1:02 pm
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

14. Working solely from schedules published in a 1970 North American edition of the OAG, I have found five different international flights into the U.S. that are each operated with a unique aircraft type that was manufactured outside of the U.S. Each flight is operated by a different foreign airline and in each case, the route is the only route into the U.S. using that aircraft type. In other words, you will find only one – not two – routes into the U.S. operated by say, a Dassault Mercure. And again, we are working only with schedules published in the North American OAG. So then, if you’re up for it, identify each of the five routes, airlines and aircraft types.
  1. Air France, Caravelle, Port Au Prince (PAP) to Miami (MIA) Correct! Air France AF 240 Port Au Prince (PAP) 1115a-120p L Miami (MIA) Caravelle Daily
  2. CSA Czech Airlines, IL-62, Montreal (YUL) - JFK Correct! CSA OK 598 Montreal (YUL) 210p-330p New York (JFK) IL62 Monday only
  3. BOAC, VC-10, Bermuda (BDA) - New York (JFK) Correct! BOAC BA 491 Bermuda (BDA) 745p-900p D New York (JFK) VC10 Daily
  4. LANICA BAC 1-11, Managua (MGA) - Miami (MIA) Correct aircraft ~ incorrect airline and route (The flight did come into Miami)
  5. Mexicana, Comet 4, Guadalajara (GDL) - San Antonio (SAT) Correct! Mexicana MX 902 Guadalajara (GDL) 105p-250p San Antonio (SAT) DH-106 Comet 4 Daily

Spot on, WHBM ^. All that's left is the BAC-111 into Miami...
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
4- LANICA BAC 1-11, Managua (MGA) - MIA Correct aircraft ~ incorrect airline and route (The flight did come into Miami)

Since we recently discussed both TACA and Aviateca, I’ll posit SAHSA from Tegucigalpa (TGU)

It's quite possible that TACA & Aviateca did serve Miami with BAC-111, but those flights would have been reflected in the International OAG. For this question, we're working only from the North American OAG.

As to SAHSA (Stay At Home, Stay Alive) - did it actually have BAC-111s ? I remember 727s and 737s but not the 111. Regardless, flights from TGU would also have been reflected in the International OAG. Please, guess again!
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

5. After a week of sailing the Caribbean, it’s time to dock in Antigua and catch a flight home to Miami. Rather amazingly, you’ve got a choice of three morning departures to choose from – each of them operated by a different airline operating a different type of equipment. You decide to go with the only airline that operates the all-economy class configured aircraft. Two stops will be made in route. You know the drill by now. Airline. Equipment. Routing. Good luck, Mon!

I think this will be our old friend the Air France Caribbean Caravelle operation, likely stopping at San Juan and Port au Prince. I guess the other two carriers would be Pan Am and BWIA.

Correct you are! Pan Am countered with a 727 while BeeWee offered a 707. Here's the Air France schedule:

Air France AF 240 Antigua (ANU) 905a-1010a San Juan (SJU) 1030a-1045a Port au Prince (PAP) 1115a-120p Miami (MIA) Caravelle Daily
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, Central was long gone by 1973, and I think Southern only came up to STL nonstop from MEM, so my guess is that we're looking at a Frontier Convair 580 ... the stops being:
  1. Ft Leonard Wood (TBN) Correct!
    • Fayetteville (FYV) Correct!
      • Ft Smith (FSM) Correct!
        • Little Rock (LIT) Incorrect
Now we're cookin'! Just provide that final stop and we'll close this one out. ^

FL STL-TBN-FYV-FSM-____-MEM Convair 580
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

15. “When I die and go to heaven, I’ll probably connect in Atlanta”. That old quip notwithstanding, you’ve had uniquely bad luck of late with connections – wherever they may be – so much so that for your upcoming flight between Dallas and West Palm Beach you’ve booked yourself upon the late afternoon five-stopper. It’ll be a long day, but a couple of good books should ease the pain. Identify the airline, aircraft and all five of the enroute stops in order, please.
15- time to start dissecting this one ... in 1970, I think the only airlines serving both Texas and Florida were Braniff, Delta, Eastern, and National ... BN didn't serve West Palm (PBI), and NA didn't serve Dallas (DAL), so we're left with DL and EA

if I'm thinking about DL, a late-night arrival into PBI **could** have been a DC-8 from Miami (MIA) and Ft Lauderdale (FLL), and the initial three stops **could** have been New Orleans (MSY), Tampa (TPA), and Orlando (MCO) ... but that just strikes me as a little too odd

so ... looking at EA, the first leg would also be DAL-MSY; the next four stops would be Mobile (MOB), Pensacola (PNS), Tallahassee (TLH), and TPA; the most likely equipment would be a DC-9
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

19. Now we're cookin'! Just provide that final stop and we'll close this one out.

FL STL-TBN-FYV-FSM-____-MEM Convair 580
19- "cookin' " as in "hot"? how about Hot Springs, as in HOT
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

19. Now we're cookin'! Just provide that final stop and we'll close this one out. FL STL-TBN-FYV-FSM-____-MEM Convair 580

"cookin' " as in "hot"? how about Hot Springs, as in HOT?

That's the missing ingredient. Good on ya, J. Here's the schedule:

Frontier FL 671 St. Louis (STL) 1245p-124p Ft. Leonard Wood (TBN) 135p-221p Fayetteville (FYV) 233p-252p Ft. Smith (FSM) 310p-339p Hot Springs (HOT) 349-433p Memphis (MEM) Convair 580 Daily
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

14. Working solely from schedules published in a 1970 North American edition of the OAG, I have found five different international flights into the U.S. that are each operated with a unique aircraft type that was manufactured outside of the U.S. Each flight is operated by a different foreign airline and in each case, the route is the only route into the U.S. using that aircraft type. In other words, you will find only one – not two – routes into the U.S. operated by say, a Dassault Mercure. And again, we are working only with schedules published in the North American OAG. So then, if you’re up for it, identify each of the five routes, airlines and aircraft types.
  1. Air France, Caravelle, Port Au Prince (PAP) to Miami (MIA) Correct! Air France AF 240 Port Au Prince (PAP) 1115a-120p L Miami (MIA) Caravelle Daily
  2. CSA Czech Airlines, IL-62, Montreal (YUL) - JFK Correct! CSA OK 598 Montreal (YUL) 210p-330p New York (JFK) IL62 Monday only
  3. BOAC, VC-10, Bermuda (BDA) - New York (JFK) Correct! BOAC BA 491 Bermuda (BDA) 745p-900p D New York (JFK) VC10 Daily
  4. LANICA BAC 1-11, Managua (MGA) - Miami (MIA) Correct aircraft ~ incorrect airline and route (The flight did come into Miami)
  5. Mexicana, Comet 4, Guadalajara (GDL) - San Antonio (SAT) Correct! Mexicana MX 902 Guadalajara (GDL) 105p-250p San Antonio (SAT) DH-106 Comet 4 Daily
another go at this one: Cayman Airways, Grand Cayman (GCM)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.