Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Ecuatoriana's colorful jets made Alexander Calder's Braniff planes look fairly sedate by comparison. Just google "Ecuatoriana 720B" and hit Images sometime...
Yep, their livery might be described as being "tropically psychedelic".....and I remember seeing Ecuatoriana aircraft at Miami back in the day (when MIA was a much more interesting airport in terms of the sheer number of air carriers that served it).
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

The following quiz item has a time line of the winter of 1994....

15. Identify the six airlines that serve Las Vegas with all-economy configured jet flights
15. Hmmmmm.....are we talking January/February/March of 1994 or December of 1994? Given the volatile nature of the LAS market back then, which I recall was characterized by new start-up air carriers adding and dropping service on an on-going basis, the answers might be a bit different given the specific time frame.

So let's go with early in 1994....

* Leisure Air
* Markair
* Mexicana
* Midwest Express
* National Airlines (the "5J" version)

And, of course.....

* Southwest

Plus, there may have been a seventh air carrier operating all-coach equipment at this time, being America West, as I believe they were flying aircraft not only in F/Y configuration but also in all Y config, especially on their red eye routes into LAS back then.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Are you sure it wasn't a Boeing 720, a 707 variant? If so, not TP.
9. Air Malta.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
29. What was the name of British Caledonian’s Gatwick Lounge for its Premium Class passengers?

I believe this was the Clansman Room, and was in the current Gatwick South terminal, the name going with British Cally's very Scottish theme.

I show Clansmen Lounge. Close enough. I have a couple of B-Cal First Class menus in my collection. Premium Class passengers looked to be well-fed on those long intercontinental flights.

30. What was the world's first inflight magazine to be published for a single airline? What airline was it?.

I think this was "New Horizons", the Pan Am magazine which later became "Clipper". If it is, despite never having flown Pan Am, I had an extremely remote connection to it.

My source for this one was the history page of the relevant airline's webpage. If it's factually correct, we'd be looking for a different airline. The claim is that the magazine was introduced in 1957...

FLASH! So I did a bit of research on Pan Am's New Horizons and have found an issue dated December 1941. Pan Am and New Horizons is clearly the correct answer. ^

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 10, 2019 at 4:21 pm
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
17. (1987) It’s been a fun weekend on Michigan’s Gull Lake outside of Kalamazoo, but now it’s time to return back to Washington DC and resume battle on the Senate Appropriations Committee which you chair. Although it wasn’t always so, there’s now a convenient 1 stop direct flight into Washington National that departs Kalamazoo each morning at 700a. Identify the airline, aircraft and intermediate stop.

AZO - DAY (Dayton, Ohio) - DCA, Piedmont Airlines, Boeing 737-200

No need for that 3rd and final inquiry, Toshbaf - you've come to the correct counter. Piedmont it was. Here's the schedule:

Piedmont PI 414 Kalamazoo (AZO) 700a-741a Dayton (DAY) 825a-935a S Washington (DCA) 737-200 Daily
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

9. In late 1986, only one airline operated a Boeing 707 into Manchester, England. Name the airline. No need to identify where it flies in from as the name will give it away.
It wasn't Cyprus Airways

Per KT550:TAP Air Portugal? (It was not TAP)
Per Toshbaf: Are you sure it wasn't a Boeing 720, a 707 variant? If so, not TP. (I can only go by what the OAG indicates. No 720 or B2F. It was a 707)
Per WHBM: Air Malta (Closest of all as KM did fly 707s into LHR at the time. Alas, MAN rated only a 73S[/QUOTE]
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1986....

2. Since Air Jamaica retired its DC-8s, the big four engine jetliner has been a rare sight at Montego Bay’s Sangster International Airport. These days MBJ is served by a single daily D8S and you’re about to board it! Which airline are you flying and where are you flying to?

3. You’re on Koror where it’s been a great week of diving and exploring submerged WWII ships. Now it’s time to return to Honolulu. Surprisingly, Air Mike only serves Honolulu via a connection in Guam. But wait! There’s another option – a 2-stop direct flight that just happens to be leaving Koror on Sunday afternoon. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.

4. You’re off to Belize City for a week of diving at Roatan. Life could hardly get any better but it does when you’re informed that the flight taking you from Miami down to Belize City is operated with widebody equipment. What airline will you be flying on and what is the equipment?
It's not Eastern. Nor is it an A300

5. Your job has you commuting regularly between Dusseldorf and London’s Heathrow International Airport. Three airlines serve this route – two of them with narrow bodied equipment and the other with three different models of wide bodied equipment. The latter is your airline of choice. Identify that airline and the three models of wide body equipment that it operates on the DUS-LHR route.

7. The trip from Gibraltar to Palma went without incident and, after a couple of relaxing days enjoying the warm Mallorcan sun, it’s time to return to cold and rainy Manchester. From Palma one airline offers a single weekly flight back up to Manchester. Name the airline and the aircraft type you’ll be flying upon.

9. In late 1986, only one airline operated a Boeing 707 into Manchester, England. Name the airline. No need to identify where it flies in from as the name will give it away.
A N S W E R E D

10. The Edinburgh Hogmanay (New Year’s Eve) celebrations are among the largest in the world and so you’ve decided to join the party and fly over to Edinburgh from your home in Amsterdam. You call KLM who politely informs you that they don’t fly from Amsterdam to Edinburgh. Thankfully, the res agent is kind enough to give you the name of the only airline that does. Identify that airline and the type of equipment it operates on its two almost daily nonstops.

The following quiz items have a time line of the winter of 1994....

15. Identify the seven airlines that serve Las Vegas with all-economy configured jet flights
Identified so far: Southwest, American Trans Air, America West, Private Jet Expeditions (5J), Morris Air and Midwest Express. Just one more left!

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1987....

16. Business calls in Spokane, Washington. From your base in San Diego, that’s likely going to involve a connection somewhere. But no! Much to your surprise, there’s a daily 2-stop direct flight departing San Diego’s Lindbergh Field each morning. Identify the usual trio of indicators for this flight.

18. Who’d have ever thought there one day be direct daily 1-stop service between St. Maarten and Detroit? Well there is now. Identify the airline, aircraft and intermediate stop.

19. Right on! The boss has finally given the green light for you to attend next week’s International Electronics Symposium being held this year in Minneapolis. A quick call to Northwest reveals that each of its three nonstops between Orange Country and MSP are completely sold out – even in First Class. Well dang! The prospect of driving the 405 up to LAX is never a pleasant one, so you’re thrilled to discover a single First Class seat available aboard a direct 2-stop flight out of SNA, arriving MSP the night before the show. Now if you can just find a hotel! In the meantime, identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1991....

21. The recent commencement of a new 2-stop direct flight between Missoula and Chicago is great news since you have to fly back to the home office at least five times a year. At last! No more long layovers enroute. And better yet, you’ll be served a snack and a lunch enroute. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops in order and the aircraft type.

22. Identify the three airlines operating MD80s between airports on the US mainland and Aruba

23. It’s spring break and this year you’ll be taking the family from your home in Denver to St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands. You couldn’t be more pleased to discover that you can now fly direct from Denver to St. Thomas with just two enroute stops. And, thanks to your recent promotion and raise, you can take the family in First Class. What airline will you be flying on, what will be the two enroute stops and what type of airplane will it be?

24. What a fun week it’s been in Cancun! Maybe you’ll retire here someday. But for now, you must return to the world of stocks and bonds as a trader on New York’s Wall Street. Lots of airlines offer direct flights between Cancun and New York but only one serves New York’s LaGuardia Airport, conveniently located just three miles from your home in Astoria, Queens. It’s a daily service with First Class seats available. Identify the air carrier, the enroute stop and the equipment.
It's not Northwest, nor an A320. It's not Continental, nor any variant of a 737

25. From Los Angeles (LAX), you can fly nonstop on a jet to three different Colorado ski areas. Each ski area is served by a different airline operating a different type of aircraft. Identify the three ski areas along with the airline and equipment that serves each one.

27. Years ago, if you wanted to fly from Las Vegas to Wichita, Kansas, there were a couple of well timed TWA flights serving the route. Alas, these days the only direct option is a one-stop redeye. Still, you don’t like making connections and so you book yourself a seat. Identify the airline, the enroute stop and the aircraft type.

Miscellaneous Questions

31. What was the first European airline to be awarded a 5-Star rating for its overall service from the international air transport rating organization, Skytrax? (Only 9 airlines currently enjoy this distinction)

35. When this airline commenced service to the U.S., it named the three aircraft it had purchased to serve the route (as well as other long distance routes, I’m sure) the Niña, the Pinta, and the Santa María after the boats used by Columbus on his famous voyage to the New World. Identify the airline and the aircraft type so named.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 10, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
It wasn't Cyprus Airways

Per KT550:TAP Air Portugal? (It was not TAP)
Per Toshbaf: Are you sure it wasn't a Boeing 720, a 707 variant? If so, not TP. (I can only go by what the OAG indicates. No 720 or B2F. It was a 707)
Per WHBM: Air Malta (Closest of all as KM did fly 707s into LHR at the time. Alas, MAN rated only a 73S
[/QUOTE]

El Al
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
15. Identify the six airlines that serve Las Vegas with all-economy configured jet flights.

Hmmmmm.....are we talking January/February/March of 1994 or December of 1994? Given the volatile nature of the LAS market back then, which I recall was characterized by new start-up air carriers adding and dropping service on an on-going basis, the answers might be a bit different given the specific time frame.

So let's go with early in 1994....

* Leisure Air No
* Markair No
* Mexicana No
* Midwest Express YES
* National Airlines (the "5J" version) YES
Showing up as Private Jet Expeditions with MD80 flights
* Southwest YES
* America West YES

Plus, there may have been a seventh air carrier operating all-coach equipment at this time, being America West, as I believe they were flying aircraft not only in F/Y configuration but also in all Y config, especially on their red eye routes into LAS back then.

My source is a pocket flight guide from January 1994. (BTW, I'll try to have the ones I promised you in the mail by Tuesday!) As such, it might miss one or two smaller markets. It does however show schedule possibilities from MEX, MZT and GDL - all hotbeds of activity for Mexicana - and there is nothing. There are no other Mexican airlines shown either. Interestingly, I did not include Midwest Express because of its 2-2 seating, but the flights were marketed as economy class, so make that seven airlines. As such, you've identified four so far...

Again, we're talking January of 1994, which I just went back and double checked.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It wasn't Cyprus Airways, TAP or Air Malta

El Al

איר זענט ריכטיק, האר!אתה צודק, אדוניאתה צודק, אדוני El Al served MAN with twice weekly 707 service, inbound from Tel Aviv via Brussels (NO LOCAL TRAFFIC)
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

30. What was the world's first inflight magazine to be published for a single airline? What airline was it?.

I think this was "New Horizons", the Pan Am magazine which later became "Clipper". If it is, despite never having flown Pan Am, I had an extremely remote connection to it.

My source for this one was the history page of the relevant airline's webpage. (https://hub.united.com/history/?ada=1) If it's factually correct, we'd be looking for a different airline. The claim is that the magazine was introduced in 1957...

FLASH! So I did a bit of research on Pan Am's New Horizons and have found an issue dated December 1941. Pan Am and New Horizons is clearly the correct answer. ^
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA

My source for this one was the history page of the relevant airline's webpage. If it's factually correct, we'd be looking for a different airline. The claim is that the magazine was introduced in 1957...
I've just had a dig around and here, on a site of Pan Am history by their former staff, I find that New Horizons was actually being published pre-war, by 1941 (surprised me too), the name changing to Clipper Travel by 1952 and Clipper by 1962. Here are examples of the magazines :

http://www.everythingpanam.com/Clipp...ne_Covers.html

Later in Pan Am's history (1970s/80s) the publisher and production contract for the magazine was given to East/West Network, who did the in-flight mags for a significant number of US carriers, large and mid-sized, run by a guy called Jeff Butler, onetime PSA PR manager who developed a substantial business. The mags were wholly supported by advertising, which they sold, and they also originated much of the editorial content, while there was liaison with the PR department of the airline who provided the airline-facing pages. Offices were in New York City and in LA (Wilshire Bvd), hence the company name. And a lot of corporate travel between LA and New York, often United, but never on American, who were well known for always producing their magazine internally, themselves. Eventually, with all the 1990s consolidations, the market was lost.

How do I know all this ? Through having dated one of the editors from the LA end for rather more years than I care to admit. Any of you who have old East/West produced inflight mags from that era will find her name in the masthead. And just a very few of the contributions (uncredited) may have a familiar writing style. Can't recall any for Pan Am, but there certainly were in PSA Magazine, or Hughes' Sundancer. There's a couple way at the back in my attic.

Here's some notes about East/West and Jeff.

https://www.nytimes.com/1994/05/24/b...-aims-for.html

https://www.nytimes.com/1978/05/17/a...yees-to-a.html
Seat 2A likes this.

Last edited by WHBM; Feb 10, 2019 at 11:51 pm
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
15. Identify the seven airlines that serve Las Vegas with all-economy configured jet flights
Identified so far: Southwest, America West, Private Jet Expeditions (5J) and Midwest Express
15- American Trans Air and Frontier come to mind
24. What a fun week it’s been in Cancun! Maybe you’ll retire here someday. But for now, you must return to the world of stocks and bonds as a trader on New York’s Wall Street. Lots of airlines offer direct flights between Cancun and New York but only one serves New York’s LaGuardia Airport, conveniently located just three miles from your home in Astoria, Queens. It’s a daily service with First Class seats available. Identify the air carrier, the enroute stop and the equipment.
24- let's start the guessing with Northwest, via Memphis (MEM) aboard an Airbus A320
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
Identified so far: Southwest, America West, Private Jet Expeditions (5J) and Midwest Express

American Trans Air and Frontier come to mind

ATA, yes. Frontier - not yet. (DEN-LAS was served primarily by CO/UA with a single late night nonstop on HP)

Let's start the guessing with Northwest, via Memphis (MEM) aboard an Airbus A320

An excellent start, J - and certainly plausible but alas, per the schedule I referenced we're looking for a different airline and aircraft type. Please do guess again!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 10, 2019 at 5:41 pm
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
15- how about Reno Air as another single-cabin operator at LAS in Jan 1994

24- CUN-LGA: I’m thinking maybe a Continental 737-300 stopping (where else?) in Houston (IAH)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.