Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Nearest airport to Clearwater is St Petersburg PIE. Some may recall my links from former times with the flying training organisation there; it was quite impressive taking off a Cessna 152 from the 10,000 foot runway. Anyway, at that time it was going through one of its periodic intervals with no scheduled service at all, notwithstanding a grand terminal. There were however charters to Canada, and a UPS base, where one evening I got in the way of a DC8-73F departure, holding it up for ... about 20 seconds. The lady in the tower nearly wet herself.

I think in 1972 it would just have been saved from another such no-schedules period by Air Florida, starting off with Electras, gong to Miami via Orlando.
30. Air Florida operating from St. Petersburg (PIE) to Miami via a stop in Orlando is correct! However, the aircraft type wasn't an L-188 Electra....so please guess again!

And for bonus points, what was the standard one way fare from PIE to MIA offered by Air Florida at this time?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
The airport Ozark used would have been Hobby / HOU, which was much closer to NASA / Johnson than IAH.
34. Correct! Here's the sched....

OZ 535: Baltimore (BWI) 6:00p - 7:00p St. Louis (STL) 8:08p - 9:59p Houston Hobby (HOU)
Op: Daily except Saturdays
Equip: DC-9-30
Meal service: Dinner BWI-STL
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
31. It's the spring of 1973. You've just finished a consulting project in Dallas and are ready to visit with friends in Boston. You are in no hurry and have thus found a daily flight which departs Dallas Love Field at 7:00 am and arrives in Boston at 3:46 pm - which means you'll have plenty of time to join your friends for dinner. Better yet, this is a milk run with no less than six stops being made en route. Identify the airline, all six stops in order and the aircraft type.....
31- I can think of only three airlines serving both DAL and BOS in 1973 (American, Delta, and Eastern) ... of these, I'd think the EA route map was the weakest as I believe they only had nonstops to New Orleans and Atlanta from DAL, and I don't recall too many flights with four or five stops between Atlanta and BOS

when I think of early morning AA departures from DAL, I can imagine getting to Washington or New York or Philadelphia with maybe three stops, but I don't recall much if any multi-stop service from those points to BOS

so let's look at DL: there were PLENTY of DAL-ATL milk runs in those days ... while a DC-9-30 occasionally showed up, these were mostly flown with 727-200s ... herewith my first guess is a 72S via
  1. Shreveport (SHV)
  2. Monroe (MLU)
  3. Jackson (JAN)
  4. Birmingham (BHM)
  5. Atlanta (ATL)
  6. LaGuardia (LGA)
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
31- I can think of only three airlines serving both DAL and BOS in 1973 (American, Delta, and Eastern) ... of these, I'd think the EA route map was the weakest as I believe they only had nonstops to New Orleans and Atlanta from DAL, and I don't recall too many flights with four or five stops between Atlanta and BOS

when I think of early morning AA departures from DAL, I can imagine getting to Washington or New York or Philadelphia with maybe three stops, but I don't recall much if any multi-stop service from those points to BOS

so let's look at DL: there were PLENTY of DAL-ATL milk runs in those days ... while a DC-9-30 occasionally showed up, these were mostly flown with 727-200s ... herewith my first guess is a 72S via
  1. Shreveport (SHV) Yes!
  2. Monroe (MLU) Nope
  3. Jackson (JAN) Yes....but JAN wasn't the third stop
  4. Birmingham (BHM) Yes....but BHM wasn't the fourth stop
  5. Atlanta (ATL) Nope
  6. LaGuardia (LGA) Yes....but LGA wasn't the sixth stop
31. Delta is correct....but not with a B727-200. And please see above concerning how you did with regard to the routing.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
31- ok, here we go again ... DL D9S, first three stops at SHV, JAN, BHM ...

now let's back up to something buried in one of last week's answers
19. ... DL 906: New York Kennedy (JFK) 5:15p - 6:20p Lebanon (LEB) 6:35p - 7:02p Keene (EEN) 7:17p - 8:15p New York LaGuardia (LGA) ... DL even tried D9S service into EEN ...
which gives the following:
4. LGA
5. EEN
6. Manchester/Concord (MHT)

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 9, 2018 at 5:59 pm
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

38. So it's now the winter of 1983 and milk run flights are beginning to become scarce. You are in Las Vegas and need to attend a lunch meeting in Hartford the next day. Ah, what's this? A multi-stop flight departing LAS at the civilized time of 10:35 am which will get you into BDL at 11:56 pm with five stops being made en route! And first class is available! Book it, buddy! Identify the airline, all five stops in order and the equipment....
38- y'know, I halfway suspect we have another example of DL single-plane service to multiple points between Dallas and Atlanta ...how about a 72S via Alexandria (AEX), Baton Rouge (BTR), and Montgomery (MGM) as stops 2, 3, and 4
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

31- ok, here we go again ... DL D9S, first three stops at SHV, JAN, BHM ... now let's back up to something buried in one of last week's answers which gives the following:
4. LGA
5. EEN
6. Manchester/Concord (MHT)
31. Well, I was wondering if anyone would pick up on my reference to little ol' Keene, NH and Delta's DC-9-30 service into that small airport back in the day.....

And, yep, you've nailed it. Here's the sched.....

DL 458: Dallas Love Field (DAL) 7:00a - 7:41a Shreveport (SHV) 8:01a - 8:43a Jackson (JAN) 9:05a - 9:46a Birmingham (BHM) 10:10a - 1:00p New York LaGuardia (LGA) 1:40p - 2:22p Keene (EEN) 2:42p - 3:02p Manchester (MHT) 3:22p - 3:46p Boston (BOS)
Op: Daily
Equip: D9S
Meal service: Snack DFW-SHV, Lunch BHM-LGA

BTW, the only other airline operating nonstops between Birmingham and New York LaGuardia back in the early and mid 1970's was Eastern, usually with a DC-9-30 as well.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

38- y'know, I halfway suspect we have another example of DL single-plane service to multiple points between Dallas and Atlanta ...how about a 72S via Alexandria (AEX), Baton Rouge (BTR), and Montgomery (MGM) as stops 2, 3, and 4
38. And we are off and running once again with good ol' Delta. Plus, the aircraft was indeed a B727-200.

Let's take a look at the stops....

1) DFW - Yes!
2) AEX - Nope
3) BTR - Yes!
4) MGM - Nope
5) ATL - Yes....but ATL wasn't the fifth stop
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

38- how about a couple encores: 2=SHV again; 4=ATL; 5=LGA again
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

38- how about a couple encores: 2=SHV again; 4=ATL; 5=LGA again
38. You're getting closer.....and here's where we are at the moment:

LAS - DFW - SHV - BTR - ATL - ___ - BDL

So just one stop to go.....
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

38- my recall of Delta's 1983 routes between ATL and New England rules out any stop south of the DC area, but basic geography still leaves more than a few possibilities: IAD, DCA, BWI, PHL, EWR, JFK

I'm pretty sure that neither IAD nor EWR had onward service to BDL, so I'll guess JFK for now
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

38- my recall of Delta's 1983 routes between ATL and New England rules out any stop south of the DC area, but basic geography still leaves more than a few possibilities: IAD, DCA, BWI, PHL, EWR, JFK

I'm pretty sure that neither IAD nor EWR had onward service to BDL, so I'll guess JFK for now
38. Nope, it wasn't JFK....but that's a great guess, nonetheless. And one of the other airport codes you've listed above is the one we are looking for.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
30. Now you are in Clearwater, Florida and it's 1972. You're off to Miami and have found an evening flight departing from the airport closest to your location. This service operates daily and makes one stop en route. Name the airport you'll be departing from, the airline, the stop and the equipment.

Per jlemon:Air Florida operating from St. Petersburg (PIE) to Miami via a stop in Orlando is correct! However, the aircraft type wasn't an L-188 Electra....so please guess again!

And for bonus points, what was the standard one way fare from PIE to MIA offered by Air Florida at this time?

If I may, I know that early on Air Florida operated a 707, a 727-100 and one or more DC-9-10s. I have postcards of them all. Let's go with the 707 - if so the only one of its type operated by an intrastate airline that I'm aware of.

As for the fare, how about $10.00.

And now it's off to catch the train into downtown Seattle. Lunch at the Athenian Restaurant at Pike Place market, then off to Fairbanks a bit later on my 250th flight aboard an Alaska Airlines 737-900.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 10, 2018 at 2:43 pm
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
30. Now you are in Clearwater, Florida and it's 1972. You're off to Miami and have found an evening flight departing from the airport closest to your location. This service operates daily and makes one stop en route. Name the airport you'll be departing from, the airline, the stop and the equipment.

Per jlemon:Air Florida operating from St. Petersburg (PIE) to Miami via a stop in Orlando is correct! However, the aircraft type wasn't an L-188 Electra....so please guess again!

If I may, I know that early on Air Florida operated a 707, a 727-100 and one or more DC-9-10s. I have postcards of them all. Let's go with the 707 - if so the only one of its type operated by an intrastate airline that I'm aware of.

As for the fare, how about $10.00.

And now it's off to catch the train into downtown Seattle. Lunch at the Athenian Restaurant at Pike Place market, then off to Fairbanks a bit later on my 250th flight aboard an Alaska Airlines 737-900.
30. Air Florida operating a Boeing 707 is correct! And I too believe that Air Florida was the only U.S. airline ever to operate the 707 flying as an intrastate air carrier.

It also appears that Air Florida was only operating one 707 in 1972 which was used to fly the following intrastate "triangle" routings......

QH 1: Miami (MIA) 8:00a - 8:45a Orlando (MCO) 9:00a - 9:45a St. Petersburg (PIE) 10:15a - 11:05a Miami (MIA)
Equip: 707

QH 4: Miami (MIA) 5:30p - 6:20p St. Petersburg (PIE) 6:50p - 7:20p Orlando (MCO) 7:35p - 8:35p Miami (MIA)
Equip: 707

And that was the full extent of scheduled operations flown by Air Florida at this time. As for the standard one way air fare, you are very close! It was actually a $12.00 one way introductory fare for all flights.

I have the feeling the 707 proved not to be the most economical aircraft to operate in this new startup scenario. For whatever reason, the 707 was soon gone as Air Florida was only operating the Lockheed L-188 Electra on all flights in 1974 and 1975. In 1974, only one intrastate route was being flown: MIA-MCO as service to PIE had been discontinued (perhaps they heard that someone in a Cessna 152 had a habit of delaying commercial air traffic departures at PIE..... ). And by 1975, Air Florida had added intrastate Electra service to two other destinations: TPA and TLH.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

38- for lack of a better approach I will go north to south and speculate that the last stop was PHL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.