Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

17. In 1976, Western Airlines ran an ad which mentioned another air carrier. The copy read:

THE GREAT DENVER PICK-ME-UP.

___ (airline)___ to Denver.

Western to the West, Alaska and Hawaii.

Fill in the blank by naming the airline in question.

21. It's 1982. You've just concluded your business in Boston and have been invited to join a good friend at the Cessna aircraft plant in Wichita where he will personally take delivery of a new Citation business jet. You've found a direct flight that meets your needs which will depart BOS at 1:55 pm and arrive at ICT at 7:50 pm. Three stops will be made en route. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and the three stops in order. The airline was Northwest Orient operating B727-200 equipment on a routing of BOS-EWR-MSP-___-ICT-DFW.
Time to close these two out.....

17. The air carrier in question was Ozark Air Lines. The ad copy also stated:

"Pick up Ozark Air Lines to Denver.

Then let Western Airlines pick you up from there.

Western offers 23 west-bound departures from Denver. Including service on DC-10 Spaceships to San Diego and Hawaii.

You'll enjoy your flight on Ozark. And when you fly Western, you'll be treated to complimentary Champagne which we offer to every adult.

So have your Travel Agent or Ozark arrange a great pick-me-up on Western....."

Ozark was operating nonstop DC-9-30 flights into Denver at this time with four daily departures from exactly one city, being Sioux City (SUX), with direct D9S service to DEN also being flown by OZ from Champaign (CMI), Chicago O'Hare (ORD), New York La Guardia (LGA), Peoria (PIA), Sioux Falls (FSD), Washington Dulles (IAD) and Waterloo (ALO).

21. The missing stop we were looking for was Omaha. Here's the complete sched....

NW 209: Boston (BOS) 1:55p - 2:55p Newark (EWR) 3:25p - 4:59p Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) 5:40p - 6:35p Omaha (OMA) 7:00p - 7:50p Wichita (ICT) 8:15p - 9:15p Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
Op: Daily
Equip: 72S

And, my goodness gracious, the New Orleans Saints actually won their game today against the Green Bay Packers. That's four wins in a row now for the Saints. Could it be that we once again have a real football team in the Crescent City?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Lady K and yours truly enjoyed a lovely evening with our man from the wilds of Alaska which was punctuated with music courtesy of my classic, floor standing JBL L-65 "Jubal" loudspeakers (driven by a separate B&K power amp and preamp combo featuring 180 watts per channel) followed by a mixed grill rib eye steak (tomahawk as well as boneless) & Cajun sausage dinner. Wine selections included a meritage from Sonoma County followed by Bordeaux. A wonderful evening which was capped off by a VSOP sipping rum from Martinique.
A wonderful evening, indeed! Many thanks to JL and Lady K whose hospitality - were they an airline - would certainly earn them an unprecedented :-::-::-::-::-::-: rating from Skytrax. Thank you again for the delicious food, fine wine and first class company and conversation. ^^^

We descended into Fairbanks on a beautiful evening - clear skies and a temperature of 12°F. It felt great to step outside into that crisp, dry and wonderfully cool air! I am also happy to report that my special "Squirrel Sauce" and the assortment of sonic repellent devices placed around my cabin appear to have worked very well in my absence. Thankfully we don't have any badgers in this part of the world and I wish WHBM well in his efforts to deter their presence around his home.

And lastly, I'd like to offer a multitude of thanks to jlemon for his well crafted batch of questions that have so entertained us over the past couple of months. He has more than earned a well deserved break which will hopefully commence with an upgrade to First Class on his flight to Hawaii next weekend. In the meantime I am already hard at work formulating my next batch of quiz questions. I've researched two so far. It's a process that does take some time however, so should any of you care to submit a few in the coming days, I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we welcome your efforts.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
27- two possibilities for an 81-seater come to mind

I’ll posit the Convair 990, since I know the cabin width accommodated 3-2 coach seating; not sure about the Caravelle as the only ones I ever saw were United’s 64F layout
27. It wasn't the Convair 990, so please guess again....
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
27- my original would-have-been Guess #2 (Caravelle) was sort of embedded in the rationale for Guess #1 , but I'm now thinking that a DC-9-30 is a more likely candidate
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

27- my original would-have-been Guess #2 (Caravelle) was sort of embedded in the rationale for Guess #1 , but I'm now thinking that a DC-9-30 is a more likely candidate
27. Well, it wasn't the DC-9-30. However, you have mentioned the Caravelle twice now....and, indeed, that is the aircraft we are looking for.

The reconfigured Caravelle operated by SAS in late 1967 featured three rows in the first class section in a 2-2 layout and fourteen rows in the coach cabin in 2-3 layout for a total of 81 seats.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
27. The reconfigured Caravelle operated by SAS in late 1967 featured three rows in the first class section in a 2-2 layout and fourteen rows in the coach cabin in 2-3 layout for a total of 81 seats.
hmmmmmmm ... not that it would have made any difference in my thought process, but something doesn’t add up:
3*4=12; 14*5=70; 12+70=82
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hmmmmmmm ... not that it would have made any difference in my thought process, but something doesn’t add up:
3*4=12; 14*5=70; 12+70=82
That's because the last row of seats in coach on the SAS Caravelle aircraft (row 18) had four seats instead of five in a 2-2 configuration. The aisle seat on the three seat side of row 18 was missing.

Rows 1 through 3 in first (2-2 config): 12 seats

Rows 4 through 17 in coach (2-3 config): 65 seats

Row 18 in coach (2-2 config): 4 seats

Total: 81 seats
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

26. As recently mentioned above, Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS) operated the DC-8-62 and the DC-8-63. They had a name for both of these aircraft: The "Super-Fan". And SAS also had another name for their stretched Super DC-8-63 aircraft. What was it?
Still have this lonely little bonus quiz item hanging out there.....

Should there be no takers, I'll provide the answer by this Friday afternoon as we will be heading to Maui bright and early this Saturday morning.

And now ANSWERED.

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 27, 2017 at 5:49 pm Reason: answer update
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
26. As recently mentioned above, Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS) operated the DC-8-62 and the DC-8-63. They had a name for both of these aircraft: The "Super-Fan". And SAS also had another name for their stretched Super DC-8-63 aircraft. What was it?

Well, I remember that SAS used to name it's aircraft with names such as "Olie Viking" and that in a more generic sense, I believe the 747s were referred to as "Huge Vikings". So, for the DC-8-63, let's take a shot in the dark with "Big Viking".
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Well, I remember that SAS used to name it's aircraft with names such as "Olie Viking" and that in a more generic sense, I believe the 747s were referred to as "Huge Vikings". So, for the DC-8-63, let's take a shot in the dark with "Big Viking".
I was thinking more the lines of "Viking Longboat" or something like that.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

26. Please guess again, sir!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I was thinking more the lines of "Viking Longboat" or something like that.
26. You are on the right track! But please guess again!
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

26. As mentioned above, SAS operated the DC-8-62 and the DC-8-63. They had a name for both of these aircraft: The "Super-Fan". And SAS also had another name for their stretched Super DC-8-63 aircraft. What was it?
I'll go ahead and provide the answer here as we will depart to Maui first thing tomorrow morning.....

This from an SAS system timetable back in the day:

"The DC-8 Super-Fan (series 62 aircraft) is now in service on most of the SAS intercontinental routes and will shortly be joined by its big brother, the SAS DC-8-63, the "Long-Ship", on our New York - Scandinavia routes. With a cabin 36 feet longer than earlier DC-8s, and even more powerful engines than the (DC-8-62) Super Fan, this jet giant has a capacity of 251 passengers but will have only 190 seats in the SAS version."

Aloha!
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

aloha to you and Lady K as well (from the current “Long Ship” — 757-300 N591NW, about to push back at MSP en route home to Seattle)
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Aloha, JL! Makemake wau he nui kou manawa ma Hawaii!

And now, here are a few more questions to challenge your collective memories. As always, please limit yourself to just a couple questions at a time in order that others might also have a chance to participate.

THE FOLLWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM A 1988 POCKET FLIGHT GUIDE

1. You are flying to Las Vegas when the Captain comes on over the PA to inform you that you’re flying aboard the one and only DC-9-10 flight into McCarran. Whaaaat? No way! Pulling out your trusty pocket OAG, you check and double check the schedules. Hmm… Well I’ll be a … never mind. What airline are you flying upon and what city are you flying into Las Vegas from?

2. Further perusal of your pocket flight guide reveals that as of late 1988, there is only one type of foreign built twin jet serving Las Vegas. A total of two flights are operated into LAS with this aircraft type, each of them by a different airline, and each from a different city. Identify the twin jet, each airline that flies it and each route it flies into Las Vegas.

3. While walking through the terminal at McCarran, you stop to admire a small historical kiosk. There you learn of the first jet flight to ever serve Las Vegas. Identify the airline and the equipment type operated. (We ain't talkin' turboprops, either)

4. After three days in Las Vegas during which you saw Wayne Newton’s show and won $12.75 at the slots, it’s off to Wichita, Kansas. You had expected to have to make an enroute connection and so are pleasantly surprised to find that the LAS-ICT route is served by a single daily nonstop flight. Identify the airline and the aircraft operating that flight.

5. Following a short tour of Kansas City’s finest barbecue establishments, it’s time to relocate to your cousin Moe’s place in Ronkonkoma, New York. After identifying the nearest airport to Ronkonkoma, you’re pleased to discover it is served by a single, one stop direct flight from Kansas City each day. First Class is available and dinner will be served enroute. Identify the airport you will be flying into, the airline, the equipment and the enroute stop.

6. While awaiting the call to board your flight in Kansas City, a thorough perusal of scheduled flights into Kansas City reveals that the airport is served by only one type of foreign built aircraft. This aircraft type serves MCI from a variety of cities. Identify the aircraft type and the single airline that operates it.
A N S W E R E D

7. A friend has invited you to Knoxville, Tennessee to join him at an SEC football game between the hometown Tennessee Vols and their cross state rivals the Vanderbilt Commodores. Can you get down to Knoxville by Friday night? Hmm… From Ronkonkoma that will probably involve quite a convoluted schedule. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover a single daily one stop direct flight that will get you into Knoxville in time for dinner and drinks on Friday night. Identify the airport you’ll be departing from (see question 5), the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.

8. The Salt Lake City to Minneapolis route has traditionally been operated by Western/Delta. In mid-1988 however, there were four airlines offering nonstop service on this route. Identify each of the four airlines involved. And – just to make it interesting – the only correct answer accepted will be the one that correctly identifies ALL four of the airlines, i.e. it's like a combination lock so three out of four will be considered incorrect. Go get ‘em, guys!

9. You’re in Montreal, Quebec when the home office calls and requests you get down to Houston, Texas branch office ASAP. No problem! Then again, this could involve a connection. Or two. Mais non! Amazingly, there is a single almost daily (X7) direct flight that makes three enroute stops. First Class is available and a snack and luncheon will be served enroute. Alright then – who you gonna be flying on, where you gonna be stopping and what kind of plane you gonna be flying on?

10. Who’d ever have thought that there’d be a direct two stop flight between Yakima, Washington and Long Beach, California? Not me! How ‘bout you? Identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft flown.
A N S W E R E D

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE BASED UPON AIRLINE Ads

11. Fill in the blanks on this 1978 advertisement: Only ______________offers Business Coach. Compare it with anyone else’s First Class service and price. We think our low $______ surcharge makes Business Coach a travel bargain you’ll want to say Yes to.

12. Fill in the blanks on this 1963 advertisement: Fly to Cologne with reliable _____________. The only airline allowed to service NATO jets.

13. Fill in the blanks on this 1967 advertisement: Last year, 400,000 Americans flew ____________ to over 87 cities within Europe. And never saw a stiff upper lip.

14. Fill in the blanks on this 1964 advertisement: A ______________ is a quiet bird. So quiet you can think. Or talk. Or listen to the Champagne fizz. Or even sleep, if you don’t mind missing the party. If you demand the full Audubon definition, a ____________ is ____________’s own special version of the great new T-tail ___________ fan-jet.

15. Fill in the blanks on this 1971 advertisement: A 747 is a 747. Until you fly the ______________ 747. Just over a year ago the first 747 took off. Now ___________ brings you the newest 747. A private ___________ in the First Class section – first on ____________. Complete privacy while in flight. It’s like having your own business jet. There’s a two-place settee, four luxurious reclining chairs, a table and storage cabinets.

16. In its 1947 advertisements, this European airline referred to its largest trans-Atlantic aircraft as “Comets”. Identify the Airline and the aircraft type so referenced.

17. This airline’s 1977 ad described “Super Orange 747 Service” to a variety of domestic and overseas destinations. Which airline was it?
HINT: It's not Braniff

18. Fill in the blanks on this 1964 advertisement: It usually takes the ordinary jet over a mile to get off the ground. Would you like to slip into something a little more comfortable? Take an _____________. All of our ____________ have fan-jet engines – with enough power to cut one third of a mile off your take off alone. And you get this power on every jet we fly. _______________ has the largest fan-jet fleet in the world.
A N S W E R E D

19. Identify the U.S. airline that advertised “300 mph Constellation Flagliner Service”.
A N S W E R E D

20. This airline ran an ad in the 1980s promoting service through its hub by showing a cartoon depiction of a businessman arriving late to a meeting and apologizing for his delay by explaining that he’d had to fly through Denver. Identify the airline and the alternate hub it was promoting.
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 30, 2017 at 11:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.