Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2012, 1:33 pm

Programs: All of them!
Thanks, JLEMON for the link! Most interesting, but not as interesting as the Sunset Beach Bar in May will be!

Last edited by cs57; Mar 31, 2012 at 1:34 pm Reason: deleted wording
Old Mar 31, 2012, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by cs57
Thanks, JLEMON for the link! Most interesting, but not as interesting as the Sunset Beach Bar in May will be!
This will be our third visit to SXM and the Sunset Beach Bar. But we won't be there too long as we will embark on a "bare boat" charter via a 52' catamaran and sail over to Anguilla and St. Barts (which has a really interesting little airport - I checked it out during our last sail trip in that part of the world). I'll try to provide some photos when we return!
Old Apr 1, 2012, 5:51 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
6) Took some digging -- Bonanza -- DC9 "Funjet" service from LAS to LAX, RNO, PHX, and SLC
Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:27 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
10) Name the largest turboprop and the largest jet equipment ever to serve Santa Fe, NM (SAF) and the airlines that operated these respective aircraft.
Not confident of these, but Frontier had Convair (540?) service from ABQ, and TTA had DC3 service, but later when it became TIA flew DC9s there.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Correct on both counts, sir!
Except that the DC-6 was not a turboprop; unless someone has a photo of one of course

There was a plan to put R-R Tynes on the DC-7D but wisely not proceeded with.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 9:24 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by miniliq
6) Took some digging -- Bonanza -- DC9 "Funjet" service from LAS to LAX, RNO, PHX, and SLC
Although, I believe, the claim was inaccurate. I'm pretty sure West Coast Airlines (which later merged with Bonanza to form Air West) was actually the first operator of DC-9s in the west or anywhere, although Delta was the launch customer. I remember riding them in 1965 and it was a very big deal at smaller airports.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Not confident of these, but Frontier had Convair (540?) service from ABQ, and TTA had DC3 service, but later when it became TIA flew DC9s there.
Largest turboprop to serve Santa Fe: Vickers Viscount operated by Continental. Destinations included ABQ, DEN, GSW, DAL and smaller cities.

Largest jet to serve Santa Fe: DC-9 series 10 operated by Trans-Texas Airways (TTa). I flew into SAF on board a TTa DC-9 back when I was in high school in Houston. Routing was HOU-DAL-MAF-ROW-ABQ-SAF.

When TTa became Texas International, I believe the service was continued for awhile with nonstop and/or onestop service being offered to Dallas (the stop was ABQ) before TI pulled out of the SAF market completely.

These days, service into SAF is provided by AA Eagle with Embraer RJs from DFW and LAX.

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 11, 2012 at 3:13 pm Reason: Additional route info
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct! The cover of the March 1, 1966 Bonanza timetable had the marketing message "The First DC-9 Jet Service in the West". You can view this timetable by accessing the link in post #655.

Your routes are correct as well except for LAS-SLC. At this time, Bonanza was actually flying the DC-9 PHX-SLC.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Except that the DC-6 was not a turboprop; unless someone has a photo of one of course

There was a plan to put R-R Tynes on the DC-7D but wisely not proceeded with.
Wally Bird, you are correct, of course! The DC-6 never had turboprop engines. I believe that ONA initially began operations with the DC-6.

I took this response by cs57 as additional information beyond what was asked for. The turboprop aircraft type operated by ONA was the Lockheed L-188 "Electra", of course.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Although, I believe, the claim was inaccurate. I'm pretty sure West Coast Airlines (which later merged with Bonanza to form Air West) was actually the first operator of DC-9s in the west or anywhere, although Delta was the launch customer. I remember riding them in 1965 and it was a very big deal at smaller airports.
It would be very interesting to know which local service carrier was actually first in the western U.S.!

Was it really Bonanza as this airline claimed or was it indeed West Coast?

Any intel, anyone?
Old Apr 1, 2012, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And since we are discussing one of my favorite airplanes, being the venerable DC-9, let's continue the quiz with the following aircraft in mind....

1) What airline was the first operator worldwide of the DC-9 series 50?

2) Name the airlines that took first delivery of the following MD-80 series jetliners:

A) MD-81

B) MD-82

C) MD-83

D) MD-87

E) MD-88
Old Apr 1, 2012, 2:52 pm

It would be very interesting to know which local service carrier was actually first in the western U.S.!

Was it really Bonanza as this airline claimed or was it indeed West Coast?

Any intel, anyone?
First Bonanza DC-9 delivered 12/19/65, first West Coast 9/16/66. So unless Bonanza parked it for 9 months they were first.
What airline was the first operator worldwide of the DC-9 series 50?
SAS ?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 12:54 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
First Bonanza DC-9 delivered 12/19/65, first West Coast 9/16/66. So unless Bonanza parked it for 9 months they were first.SAS ?
From memory, you guys verify: Hawaiian started operations with the DC-9 10 series on 6/1966. I went to see the delivery flight at HNL when I was a kid about a month before start of service. So HA's DC-9s were somewhat behind Bonanza's Funjet tail in terms of start of service, but ahead of West Coast's.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by tonywestsider
From memory, you guys verify: Hawaiian started operations with the DC-9 10 series on 6/1966.
N901H delivered 3/12/66.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First Bonanza DC-9 delivered 12/19/65, first West Coast 9/16/66. So unless Bonanza parked it for 9 months they were first.SAS ?
Excellent information concerning the DC-9 delivery dates with regard to Bonanza and West Coast, Wally Bird!

And as for the first delivery and operation of the DC-9 series 50, I believe the honor goes to Eastern Airlines in August of 1975.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.