Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2014, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Indelaware
33. Western Airlines (WA).
33. Correct!
Old Nov 29, 2014, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Ah. A guess. I actually rode this just a few years later from Toronto to Detroit, and it was continuing on (although hardly any of the passengers were). It was a DC9-51 by then (what Swissair and Austrian called "DC9 King Size" in their advertising in the UK media).
Following the merger of North Central and Southern in July of 1979, the newly formed Republic Airlines was serving a considerable number of smaller communities with the McDonnell Douglas "Super" DC9-50 to include:

Aberdeen, SD (ABR)
Bismarck, ND (BIS)
Duluth, MN (DLH)
Eau Claire, WI (EAU)
Escanaba, MI (ESC)
Fargo, ND (FAR)
Grand Forks, ND (GFK)
Green Bay, WI (GRB)
Hancock, MI (CMX)
Hibbing, MN (HIB)
International Falls, MN (INL)
Iron Mountain, MI (IMT)
Kalamazoo/Battle Creek, MI (AZO)
La Crosse, WI (LSE)
Marquette, MI (MQT)
Minot, ND (MOT)
Muskegon, MI (MKG)
Pellston, MI (PLN)
Pierre, SD (PIR)
Rhinelander, WI (RHI)
Stevens Point/Wausau, WI (CWA)
Traverse City, MI (TVC)
Watertown, SD (ATY)

These former North Central DC9-50 aircraft operated by Republic were configured with 130 seats featuring all economy seating. I'm not sure how RC filled up these flights from these smaller communities, a number of which had multiple DC9-50 departures per day, sometimes in addition to DC9-30 and/or CV-580 service.....

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 30, 2014 at 12:56 pm Reason: additional RC city
Old Nov 30, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL, AA
29. In 1985, this airline was flying scheduled intrastate operations in Texas with service to five different destinations, one of which was an "alternative" airport. The aircraft used for this service was configured with over 50 passenger seats. Identify the air carrier, all five airports and the equipment.
Let discuss Forth Worth Airlines; Serving Fort Worth-Meacham, Both Houston-Hobby and IAH, then AUS and SAT with a YS-11 obtain from Mid-Pacific.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by jlemon
Following the merger of North Central and Southern in July of 1979, the newly formed Republic Airlines was serving a considerable number of smaller communities with the McDonnell Douglas "Super" DC9-50 to include:

Aberdeen, SD (ABR)
Bismarck, ND (BIS)
Duluth, MN (DLH)
Eau Claire, WI (EAU)
Escanaba, MI (ESC)
Fargo, ND (FAR)
Grand Forks, ND (GFK)
Green Bay, WI (GRB)
Hancock, MI (CMX)
Hibbing, MN (HIB)
International Falls, MN (INL)
Iron Mountain, MI (IMT)
Kalamazoo/Battle Creek, MI (AZO)
La Crosse, WI (LSE)
Marquette, MI (MQT)
Minot, ND (MOT)
Muskegon, MI (MKG)
Pellston, MI (PLN)
Pierre, SD (PIR)
Rhinelander, WI (RHI)
Stevens Point/Wausau, WI (CWA)
Traverse City, MI (TVC)
Watertown, SD (ATY)

These former North Central DC9-50 aircraft operated by Republic were configured with 130 seats featuring all economy seating. I'm not sure how RC filled up these flights from these smaller communities, a number of which had multiple DC9-50 departures per day, sometimes in addition to DC9-30 and/or CV-580 service.....
Well from my Air Force days, I can tell you that the planes filled up at Green Bay "hub" to the final destination of MSP, ORD, DTW. I can state for sure at MQT it took quite the winter storm for NC to cancel the flight.

Last edited by Icecat; Nov 30, 2014 at 9:11 pm
Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Icecat
29. In 1985, this airline was flying scheduled intrastate operations in Texas with service to five different destinations, one of which was an "alternative" airport. The aircraft used for this service was configured with over 50 passenger seats. Identify the air carrier, all five airports and the equipment.
Let discuss Forth Worth Airlines; Serving Fort Worth-Meacham, Both Houston-Hobby and IAH, then AUS and SAT with a YS-11 obtain from Mid-Pacific.
29. Correct! Fort Worth Airlines advertised their YS-11 aircraft as having "56 full-sized reclining seats". Typical one way fare between Fort Worth Meacham Field (FTW) and AUS, HOU, IAH and SAT was $47 peak and $32 off peak. I believe the YS-11, which is equipped with Rolls-Royce Dart engines, was manufactured by Nihon Aircraft Manufacturing Company (NAMC) which was a consortium of Japanese companies.

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 1, 2014 at 8:38 am
Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I believe the YS-11, which was equipped with Rolls-Royce Dart engines, was manufactured by Nihon Aircraft Manufacturing Company (NAMC) which was consortium of Japanese companies.
that would be as I recall as well

I flew on a couple of Piedmont's YS-11A "Pacemaker" birds in the 1973-74 time frame (DCA-ROA and SDF-LEX-ROA) ... what I remember most is that the window location seemed to be an inch or two lower than on other airliners
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
37. You are in San Francisco and need to travel to Salt Lake City. There are a number of nonstop flights you could choose from. However, there is only one flight from SFO to SLC which makes one intermediate stop en route and since you enjoy landings and takeoffs, you book a seat. However, first class is not available as the jet aircraft has an all coach configuration. Identify the airline, the equipment and the intermediate stop.

How 'bout a Western 737-200 with a stop in Reno?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
YS-11

I flew PLN-ORD on a Simmons YS-11 in the 1980s. I don't remember the window location but I vividly recall that it seemed lumbering in flight, compared to other aircraft. The Shorts 360 on the return flight seemed to fly a lot better, even though it felt like riding in a piano crate with wings.

Simmons had a sign in the PLN terminal reading "Fly the Wide-Body 360!"

Originally Posted by jrl767
that would be as I recall as well

I flew on a couple of Piedmont's YS-11A "Pacemaker" birds in the 1973-74 time frame (DCA-ROA and SDF-LEX-ROA) ... what I remember most is that the window location seemed to be an inch or two lower than on other airliners
Old Dec 1, 2014, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
37. You are in San Francisco and need to travel to Salt Lake City. There are a number of nonstop flights you could choose from. However, there is only one flight from SFO to SLC which makes one intermediate stop en route and since you enjoy landings and takeoffs, you book a seat. However, first class is not available as the jet aircraft has an all coach configuration. Identify the airline, the equipment and the intermediate stop.

How 'bout a Western 737-200 with a stop in Reno?
37. Western is correct and the intermediate stop in Reno is correct as well.

However, aircraft type was not a Boeing 737-200. Please guess again!
Old Dec 1, 2014, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I flew PLN-ORD on a Simmons YS-11 in the 1980s. I don't remember the window location but I vividly recall that it seemed lumbering in flight, compared to other aircraft. The Shorts 360 on the return flight seemed to fly a lot better, even though it felt like riding in a piano crate with wings.

Simmons had a sign in the PLN terminal reading "Fly the Wide-Body 360!"

Question from passenger: "What's a Short 360?"

Answer from commuter airline gate agent: "Oh, it's the box our new Twin Otter came in......"
Old Dec 1, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

Western is correct and the intermediate stop in Reno is correct as well. However, the aircraft type was not a Boeing 737-200. Please guess again!

Well hey now - I was thinking that if I were wrong it'd likely be a United jet routing via OAK or SMF. So good - Western and RNO it is, and if not a 737-200 then I'll go with a 707-320...

P.S. Who dat showed up big time in the Steel City yesterday?! ^^
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

37. You are getting closer, sir! However, the aircraft was not a Boeing 707-320.

And as for the game in the Steel City yesterday, miracles have been known to occur concerning "dem Saints"......
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
37 - I flew LAX-SMF on an all-Y-configured WA 720B (N3165) in early 1978, so perhaps that jet was in the fleet a couple years before
Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
37 - I flew LAX-SMF on an all-Y-configured WA 720B (N3165) in early 1978, so perhaps that jet was in the fleet a couple years before
37. Correct! And hats off to Seat 2A as well! Here's the sched....

WA 344: SFO 2:30p - 3:15p RNO 3:45p - 5:48p SLC
Op: Daily
Equip: Boeing 720B
Class of service: Y

BTW, The only other mainline service from RNO to SLC at this time was a daily United flight operated with a Convair 580 via intermediate stops in Elko (EKO) and Ely (ELY). Of course, this flight (which had a round trip routing of SFO-RNO-EKO-ELY-SLC) was actually operated for United by Frontier and was the only turboprop service being flown in the UA system at this time.

And here's a Western Airlines two part bonus question:

In the spring of 1977, what was the total number of Boeing 720B aircraft operated by WA and what was the major concern voiced by Western in their annual report at the time with regard to the B720B? ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 6, 2014 at 9:52 am Reason: answer update
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:52 am

34. "Hello __(aircraft)___! And fond farewell to our ___(aircraft)____, no longer part of ___ (airline)___fleet. To meet the needs of today's sophisticated air travelers, effective June 1 _______ introduces improved jet service with the addition of comfortable wide-cabin _________ . More jet flights throughout our expanding network that ever before. ___(airline)___ is going places. And more and more travelers are going with ________, the big airline with the hometown touch."
Hello 727! And fond farewell to our Convair 580 aircraft, no longer part of Allegheny's fleet.

There have been a lot of weird airline slogans...but "The big airline with the hometown touch" was one of the weirdest. Allegheny was trying to be "big but not impersonal", or "friendly but not small" with this slogan, I guess....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.