Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
8. In 1966, this airline was offering a joint service twice a week from Lima, Peru to Montreal in association with another air carrier. Airline #1 flew the service from Lima to New York City with three intermediate stops being made en route. A connection was then made to airline #2 which flew nonstop to Montreal from NYC using a different equipment type. These joint schedules appeared in airline #1's system timetable. Name both air carriers and the identify of the respective aircraft types they operated on the joint service. And for bonus points, name all three intermediate stops made by airline #1 between Lima and New York City.

Wild guess time - Eastern and Braniff cooperated on a couple of domestic interchanges, so let's assume they did here as well. To wit, I'll go with Braniff operating a DC-8 routing.... Lima-Quito-Panama City-Miami-New York JFK connecting to Eastern operating a 720 up to Montreal.

Wish me luck!
8. Ah....I know all about those wild guesses....as I usually careen wildly off course with an incorrect answer.....

And such is the case here. The two air carriers were not Braniff International and Eastern. So here's a hint: both airlines in question were not U.S. air carriers.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
8. In 1966, this airline was offering a joint service twice a week from Lima, Peru to Montreal in association with another air carrier. Airline #1 flew the service from Lima to New York City with three intermediate stops being made en route. A connection was then made to airline #2 which flew nonstop to Montreal from NYC using a different equipment type. These joint schedules appeared in airline #1's system timetable. Name both air carriers and the identify of the respective aircraft types they operated on the joint service. And for bonus points, name all three intermediate stops made by airline #1 between Lima and New York City.

Here's a hint: Both airlines in question were not U.S. air carriers.

Hmm... well, I remember Lufthansa being the answer to one of my questions regarding nonstop service from Kingston to New York. I recall that flight had originated in Santiago though. BOAC would be another consideration, routing through some combination of western Caribbean destinations - of which they served many. Air Canada's the only one I can think of that would fit the bill for NYC-YUL...

Given the Commonwealth ties, let's go with BOAC and Air Canada with BA routing Lima - Quito - Montego Bay - Nassau - New York with a ... 707 connecting to an Air Canada DC-8 between New York JFK and Montreal
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
8. An excellent guess from Seat 2A!

The two air carriers were BOAC and Air Canada.

Montego Bay and Nassau are also correct with regard to two of three intermediate stops. However, Quito was not the other stop.

As for equipment, BOAC was not operating a 707 on the route from Lima to New York City and Air Canada was not operating a DC-8 from NYC to Montreal.

So please guess again!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I was wondering about that Quito stop as I can't seem to recall BA serving Ecuador or even Panama...

Well then, let's go straight up to the Caribbean with Lima-Kingston-Montego Bay-Nassau-New York with a VC10. As for Air Canada, if it wasn't a DC-8, then it could well have been a DC-9-30.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA
20. What was the total number of Convair 880 aircraft operated by Alaska Airlines?

21. What was the total number of Convair 990 aircraft operated by Alaska Airlines?

I can't help but suspect that you must've saved them for me because everybody knows that Alaska only had one of each type, especially a group as knowledgeable as yourselves. Thanks for the tap in!
Alaska had a Convair jet for most of the 1960s. Their first jet was a new Cv880 for summer 1961, which they kept until the end of 1966, selling it to Cathay Pacific when their first pair of new 727s came along. Just a few months later they reconsidered that, and bought a Cv990 in early 1967 from Varig, which they operated in the summer (it was leased out to South America in the winter), until the end of 1969 when it was sold to Seattle-neighbour Modern Air Transport, who sent it over to Berlin and ran holiday flights from there down to the Mediterranean with it.

Alaska maintained this approach of having an oddball jet for the summer high season period, from 1970 to 1975 they always leased an old 707/720, a different one each year, to supplement their capacity.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:09 pm

I was wondering about that Quito stop as I can't seem to recall BA serving Ecuador or even Panama...

Well then, let's go straight up to the Caribbean with Lima-Kingston-Montego Bay-Nassau-New York with a VC10. As for Air Canada, if it wasn't a DC-8, then it could well have been a DC-9-30.
Can I chip in here - I think the BOAC intermediate points would be right, except that they used to serve either Nassau or Freeport on alternate flights through the Bahamas. However, for aircraft I would expect ones built in the same factory all the way .....
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Alaska had a Convair jet for most of the 1960s. Their first jet was a new Cv880 for summer 1961, which they kept until the end of 1966, selling it to Cathay Pacific when their first pair of new 727s came along. Just a few months later they reconsidered that, and bought a Cv990 in early 1967 from Varig, which they operated in the summer (it was leased out to South America in the winter), until the end of 1969 when it was sold to Seattle-neighbour Modern Air Transport, who sent it over to Berlin and ran holiday flights from there down to the Mediterranean with it.

Alaska maintained this approach of having an oddball jet for the summer high season period, from 1970 to 1975 they always leased an old 707/720, a different one each year, to supplement their capacity.
Ah, but one of these four engine Boeing jetliners was not all that old......so perhaps someone would like to guess which one.

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 26, 2014 at 2:37 pm
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8. You are just about there! BOAC was indeed operating a Vickers VC10 on the route. In fact, the aircraft was a Super VC10. And the three intermediate stops en route on the specific flight in question were Kingston, Montego Bay and Nassau. However, the Air Canada aircraft was not a DC9-30.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can I chip in here - I think the BOAC intermediate points would be right, except that they used to serve either Nassau or Freeport on alternate flights through the Bahamas. However, for aircraft I would expect ones built in the same factory all the way .....
You are most definitely on the right track, sir.....
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

8. You are just about there! BOAC was indeed operating a Vickers VC10 on the route. In fact, the aircraft was a Super VC10. And the three intermediate stops en route on the specific flight in question were Kingston, Montego Bay and Nassau. However, the Air Canada aircraft was not a DC9-30.
Hmm... now that I think of it, DC-9-30s weren't even in service back in '66. Alright then, so we're looking for Vickers equipment... I should imagine they'd want something with a First Class cabin for those who'd paid the premium fare all the way through so let's go with the Vanguard.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm... now that I think of it, DC-9-30s weren't even in service back in '66. Alright then, so we're looking for Vickers equipment... I should imagine they'd want something with a First Class cabin for those who'd paid the premium fare all the way through so let's go with the Vanguard.
8. Correct! And as WHBM stated, this meant one could fly on board an aircraft manufactured by Vickers all the way from Lima, Peru to Montreal....and as you shall see to Toronto as well.

Here's the sched....

BA 684: Lima 6:15a - 10:30a Kingston 11:15a - 11:45a Montego Bay 12:15p - 1:35p Nassau 2:20p - 6:00p New York City (I believe that BA 684 then continued on to London)
Op: Wednesdays and Sundays only
Equip: Super VC10

Connecting to.....

AC 625: New York City 7:35p - 9:05p Montreal
Op: (I believe this flight operated daily)
Equip: Vanguard

And BA 684 connected to another Air Canada flight as well.....

AC 593: New York City 7:50p - 9:35p Toronto
Op: (I believe this flight also operated daily)
Equip: Vanguard
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The following quiz item has a time line of 1965:

6. This airline was operating a milk run route at this time once a week every Sunday from Reno to Los Angeles. This flight departed RNO at 5:20am and arrived at LAX at 11:20am. Eight intermediate stops were made en route. Identify the air carrier, all eight stops in the order in which they were made and the equipment flown on the service.

The above quiz item remains unanswered......great job by all concerned thus far! ^

And here we are about ready to embark upon the long Thanksgiving holiday weekend in the U.S. The weather in south Louisiana is wonderful at present with clear blue skies, temps around 70 degrees F, low humidity and gusty winds out of the southwest - our front and backyards are completely covered with colorful fall leaves from our trees with more yet to come.

So if you are traveling this holiday (and thank goodness we are not!) I wish you safe travels and a great Thanksgiving!

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 29, 2014 at 10:23 am Reason: updating list - remaining quiz item
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:40 pm

22. What was the total number of Boeing 720B aircraft operated by Alaska Airlines?
OK, I'll have a go at this one - zero

And here we are about ready to embark upon the long Thanksgiving holiday weekend in the U.S. The weather in south Louisiana is wonderful at present with clear blue skies, temps around 70 degrees F, low humidity
Well over here the turkeys are safe for another month. As for the weather - London City has had its worst day for a long time, hardly anything got in, due to low cloud that not only enveloped the tops of high buildings but even the top half of construction cranes. Missed approaches powering up into the cloud again all day long, although when it get like this many flights do not even set off unless there's a reasonable forecast for LCY.

Alright then, so we're looking for Vickers equipment
When we have the much-vaunted OTAAQ Do in London, we'll visit the factory in Weybridge (near Heathrow), now one of our aircraft museums, and see all these fine old types.

http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/

(If interested have a look at the museum videoclip on that page)

Last edited by WHBM; Nov 27, 2014 at 4:47 am Reason: Bit about the video
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, I'll have a go at this one - zero

Well over here the turkeys are safe for another month. As for the weather - London City has had its worst day for a long time, hardly anything got in, due to low cloud that not only enveloped the tops of high buildings but even the top half of construction cranes. Missed approaches powering up into the cloud again all day long, although when it get like this many flights do not even set off unless there's a reasonable forecast for LCY.

When we have the much-vaunted OTAAQ Do in London, we'll visit the factory in Weybridge (near Heathrow), now one of our aircraft museums, and see all these fine old types.

http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/
I definitely look forward to our visit to the the U.K.!

And as for the Boeing 720B question concerning Alaska Air, zero is incorrect!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:42 pm

IAnd as for the Boeing 720B question concerning Alaska Air, zero is incorrect!
I can only have a second guess with a Continental 720B borrowed for 6 weeks in early 1972.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.