Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
.... summer of 1992.

13. Three airlines operated nonstop flights between Atlanta and Orlando. Delta was obviously one of them. What were the other two? ...
I'll venture one was AA (seems there was a question a couple weeks ago about MIA-SRQ where American Eagle operated); how about the last incarnation of BN for the other?
Old Sep 25, 2013, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

17. You’re flying between Orlando and Mexico City aboard a 737-300. Which airline are you flying aboard?
Hmmmm....Delta operated a hub at one point at Orlando, of course. In fact, I remember flying from LAX to MCO in biz class on board a DL MD-11 with a three class config and the flight had actually originated in Tokyo. And Delta did indeed operate nonstop service between MCO and MEX during the mid 90's.

However, I'm willing to wager that Delta operated the MCO-MEX flights with a B757-200 and thus not with a B737-300.

So let's go with the airline of the Friendly Skies.....United.

BTW, our flights from SJC to DFW to LFT this past Saturday on AA and AA Eagle respectively qualified me for Gold elite status with American.....and I have not had any elite status following the merger by CO with UA.

I had been Platinum Elite with Continental for a number of years prior to the merger.......:-:
Old Sep 26, 2013, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Taken from schedules published during the summer of 1992.

Originally Posted by jrl22

13. Three airlines operated nonstop flights between Atlanta and Orlando. Delta was obviously one of them. What were the other two? ...

I'll venture one was AA (seems there was a question a couple weeks ago about MIA-SRQ where American Eagle operated); how about the last incarnation of BN for the other?

Braniff II is correct! However, the other airline was not AA. I do recall though that they offered three flights per day on the ATL-MCO route...
Originally Posted by jlemon

17. You’re flying between Orlando and Mexico City aboard a 737-300. Which airline are you flying aboard?

Hmmmm....Delta operated a hub at one point at Orlando, of course. In fact, I remember flying from LAX to MCO in biz class on board a DL MD-11 with a three class config and the flight had actually originated in Tokyo. And Delta did indeed operate nonstop service between MCO and MEX during the mid 90's.

However, I'm willing to wager that Delta operated the MCO-MEX flights with a B757-200 and thus not with a B737-300.

So let's go with the airline of the
Friendly Skies.....United.

Way to sniff it out, Mr. L.! United is indeed correct!
Old Sep 26, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Taken from schedules published during the summer of 1992.

The third airline flying ATL-MCO should be TWA. They had a mini-hub at ATL between 92-94.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
You da man, Icecat! TWA it was!
Old Sep 27, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA
Hmmmm.....KLM, UTA, JAL and.....??

OK, I'll bite as you've got my interest.....what was the "certain issue" and what alternative registrations were used....perhaps they were "N" numbers?
I never got round to answering this point from a few weeks ago when we discussed the 747 Stretched Upper Deck (SUD) conversions of the mid-1980s. And yes, N numbers are correct.

KLM switched their financing source on the 747s delivered in 1980-84 to a foreign one who didn't like the Netherlands legal attitude to ultimate ownership of leased aircraft. This is a matter which has affected various aircraft in different countries over time, for example it continues to do so for Italian carriers, where Alitalia has a substantial proportion of their fleet registered in Ireland for this reason. So the last three of the 10 second-generation 747-200Bs in the KLM fleet (the ones with GE engines), and the first two of the three 747-300s they had, were all registered from delivery in the US. Those three 747-200s were N1295E/1298E/1309E, and the two 747-300s were N4548M/4551N. They also had "ghost" registrations in the proper alphabetical sequence kept for them on the Netherlands register. In 1991 they were all refinanced and the subterfuge was no longer required, so they were all given those PH- tail numbers that had been kept for them.

During this time all these 10 KLM 747-200Bs went through the SUD process (the original discussion in hand) of extending the upper deck by replacement with one of the 747-300 length, but these three kept the US registrations. After the SUD process you needed to be a geek to spot the technical difference between the SUD conversions and the 747-300.

The 747 SUD process didn't give a huge increase in carrying capacity, and was also extremely expensive for what it was, particularly as the 747 flying controls from the flight deck pass through the main fuselage ceiling and thus had to be rerouted. However a further upside was it actually reduced drag of the aircraft. Boeing had discovered this during the 747SP development, which introduced the same positional relationship between the wing leading edge and the end of the upper deck directly above it, not forward of it as on the classic 747.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Many thanks, WHBM!
Old Oct 5, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good Morning All!

Tropical Storm Karen (or what's left of her) is spinning in the Gulf of Mexico this morning just south of us.....but she's not doing much. What will be interesting to see is what happens when a strong cold front that is heading our way (which has been producing snow including blizzard conditions in parts of the northern U.S.) rams into all this tropical air over us later tonight......we do get some serious thunderstorms in this part of the world and sometimes they spin off tornadoes.....

And the question remains: will I or will I not get the lawn mowed today......

So with these heavy duty issues dealt with for the moment, let us return to The Quiz:

1) It's the late winter of 1986. This airline is operating two daily flights from Honolulu (HNL) to Baltimore (BWI). Both flights make one intermediate stop en route but at different airports and both flights are operated with wide body equipment. Name the airline, the aircraft type operated and the different intermediate stops. ANSWERED

2) During the late 1980's, two airlines were operating nonstop service between Baltimore (BWI) and Nassau (NAS) at one point. One carrier flew daily while the other airline operated twice a week. Identify both air carriers and the respective aircraft types they flew on the route. ANSWERED

3) At this same time, one airline was flying nonstop service between Baltimore (BWI) and Barbados (BGI). Name this airline and identify the equipment it was operating on the route. ANSWERED

4) It's the spring of 1981 and you are in Dallas. You need to travel to Greensboro (GSO) and would prefer to fly nonstop. What airline would you call and what type of jet will you be flying on? ANSWERED

5) In the mid 1980's, this air carrier was operating nonstop jet service between Ottawa (YOW) and Syracuse (SYR). Identify the airline and the equipment flown on the route. ANSWERED

6) What airline was the first to operate jet equipment into Mammoth Lakes, CA (MMH)? Also identify the aircraft type. And for extra special bonus points, identify the routes flown by this air carrier into MMH. ANSWERED

Quiz items 7) through 19) have a time line of February of 1976:

7) This regional airline (known as a commuter air carrier back then) was operating the only flights between Mammoth Lakes, CA (MMH) and Los Angeles (LAX) at this time. Two aircraft types were used: a large turboprop (for a commuter) and a small turboprop. Name the airline and the two turboprop types. ANSWERED

8) What airline was flying nonstop between Jacksonville (JAX) and Columbia, SC (CAE)? Also identify the mainline jet equipment flown on the route by this air carrier. And here's a hint: different aircraft types were flown JAX-CAE and CAE-JAX. ANSWERED

9) This airline was operating mainline jet aircraft into Florence, SC (FLO) at this time. Name the air carrier and the equipment. ANSWERED

10) You are in Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and need to travel to Jacksonville (JAX), preferably nonstop in a jet. What airline will you call and what type of aircraft will you be flying on? ANSWERED

11) This airline was operating nonstop service between Charlotte (CLT) and Daytona Beach, FL (DAB). Identify the air carrier and the jet type flown on the route. ANSWERED

12) United (UA) was operating nonstop jet service between Fresno (FAT) and Los Angeles (LAX) with four different types of aircraft at this time. Name all four. ANSWERED

13) At this same time, United was competing with another airline in the FAT-LAX market. This air carrier flew three different types of jet equipment on the same route. Identify the airline and the three types of aircraft it operated in competition with UA between FAT and LAX. ANSWERED

14) Fort Dodge, Iowa (FOD) had jet service at this time. Identify the air carrier and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

15) High Level, Alberta (YOJ) was served with mainline jet equipment at this time. Name the airline and the equipment. ANSWERED

16) Kamuela (MUE) on the Big Island of Hawaii was served with jet flights at this time. Identify the air carrier and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

17) This airline was operating three different types of jet aircraft nonstop between Fort de France, Martinique (FDF) and Pointe a Pitre, Guadeloupe (PTP) in the Caribbean. Name the air carrier and all three jet types. ANSWERED

18) Two airlines were operating jet service into Muskegon, MI (MKG) at this time. Identify both airlines and the respective equipment used. ANSWERED

19) This airline was operating nonstop service between St. Thomas (STT) and New York (JFK). Name the airline and the aircraft type flown on the route. ANSWERED

20) In the summer of 2003, this airline was operating nonstop service between Victoria (YYJ) and Toronto (YYZ) two days a week. Identify the air carrier and the equipment used on the route. ANSWERED

And here's our bonus question.....

21) Back in 1985, what airline was operating daily nonstop wide body jet service on the short hop from Baltimore (BWI) to Washington Dulles (IAD)? And what aircraft type was used? ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 14, 2013 at 6:48 pm Reason: spellimg....er, spelling.....and answer update
Old Oct 5, 2013, 10:54 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Good Morning All!

Tropical Storm Karen (or what's left of her) is spinning in the Gulf of Mexico this morning just south of us.....but she's not doing much. What will be interesting to see is what happens when a strong cold front that is heading our way (which has been producing snow including blizzard conditions in parts of the northern U.S.) rams into all this tropical air over us later tonight......we do get some serious thunderstorms in this part of the world and sometimes they spin off tornadoes.....

And the question remains: will I or will I not get the lawn mowed today......

21) Back in 1985, what airline was operating daily nonstop wide body jet service on the short hop from Baltimore (BWI) to Washington Dulles (IAD)? And what aircraft type was used?
Did my yard yesterday -- waiting for the wind & rain. we're on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain, so we're not anticipating anything serious, but that cold front could mess things up.

#21 -- United used a DC-10 for an IAD-SFO run, which started in BWI (and return).

Thanks for restarting the quiz!
Old Oct 5, 2013, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq
Did my yard yesterday -- waiting for the wind & rain. we're on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain, so we're not anticipating anything serious, but that cold front could mess things up.

#21 -- United used a DC-10 for an IAD-SFO run, which started in BWI (and return).

Thanks for restarting the quiz!
21) Actually, I'm looking for another airline here!
Old Oct 5, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: All of them!
1) 1986--
HNL to BWI
World Airways #14 Lv. HNL 2:45pm stop in LAX, ar. BWI 6:50am +1
World Airways #78 Lv. HNL 11:15p stop in SFO, ar. BWI 5:00pm +1
Aircraft was DC10
Old Oct 5, 2013, 4:47 pm

2) 1980s BWI/NAS air service--
USair was daily with 72S
Carnival was thursday/sunday only also with 72S
Old Oct 5, 2013, 6:14 pm

3) 1980s-Air Service-BWI/BGI (Barbados)
This was on BWIA using M80 aircraft, and operated three days per week.

21) Bonus Question: IAD/BWI air service 1986--
World Airways #58 9:20pm/10:10pm (daily) DC10 aircraft

Also, many thanks for re-starting the quiz, and realize how much time it takes to create the questions!

Last edited by cs57; Oct 5, 2013 at 6:18 pm Reason: adding comments
Old Oct 5, 2013, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
5) In the mid 1980's, this air carrier was operating nonstop jet service between Ottawa (YOW) and Syracuse (SYR). Identify the airline and the equipment flown on the route.
how about Piedmont with a Fokker F-28

9) This airline was operating mainline jet aircraft into Florence, SC (FLO) at this time. Name the air carrier and the equipment.
how about Piedmont again, using a 737-200

12) United (UA) was operating nonstop jet service between Fresno (FAT) and Los Angeles (LAX) with four different types of aircraft at this time. Name all four.
I'm 99% sure of DC-8 and 737-200, and about 90% sure of 727-100; for some strange reason I think there was a DC-10 trip in there too

17) This airline was operating three different types of jet aircraft nonstop between Fort de France, Martinique (FDF) and Pointe a Pitre, Guadeloupe (PTP) in the Caribbean. Name the air carrier and all three jet types. ...
Air France: Caravelle, 707, 747
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by jrl22
how about Piedmont with a Fokker F-28
I was going to suggest Empire with the F-28, but it depends on the exact date in the "mid 1980's."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.