Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2022, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
4. (1973) Miami International is a pretty good place for plane spotting. Jets, props from Central America and the Caribbean, even a small aircraft graveyard… it’s all good. There is one jet aircraft however that is extremely rare at MIA, so rare that as of the January 1973 North American OAG it’s limited to just a single daily flight. Please identify the aircraft as well as the airline and airport that it flies into Miami from.

Well, not having access to a 1973 OAG, I can’t actually refute that, but I believe QQ only had the straight-pipe 720 rather than the turbofan 720B

So far as I recall, unless otherwise specified no one here has ever based a correct answer upon differentiation of the same model of aircraft primarily by engine type (720 w/turbojets vs 720B with turbofans, TWA 707-123 vs Braniff 707-227, DC-8-10 vs DC-8-40, etc). Yes, I know there are other specific differences between the 720 turbojets vs. the "B" turbofan models, but again, unless otherwise specified, a simple "DC-8" ;or "720" will suffice for the correct answer. If you can point out an example where this has been done (i.e. someone failed to successfully answer a question because they offered the wrong variant based upon engine variant per an example such as identified above) I will be happy become more nit-picky. Otherwise, your response seems, uh...

Another guess would of course be the Air France Caravelle that went from MIA to Port-au-Prince/PAP, then island-hopped to San Juan/SJU, St Martin/SXM, Pointe-a-Pitre/PTP, and Fort de France/FDF

That's what I would've thought first, but AF runs two Caravelles into MIA some days.

Please, guess again!

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 15, 2022 at 9:42 am
Old May 15, 2022, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
4- having spent most of Saturday afternoon consuming beer and cider with a few other FTers, I neglected to add the after nit-picking 720 vs 720B

that being said, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to discover, in the context of “Discussion” of some prior Quiz answers rather than just a “Nope” or similar, at least one mention of the distinction

we’ve ruled out the 880, 720/720B, and Caravelle … I don’t think Mexicana served MIA, so that eliminates their Comet IV; how about BOAC with a VC-10 from Bermuda/BDA
Old May 15, 2022, 6:23 pm

Programs: BA
4. (1973) Miami International is a pretty good place for plane spotting. Jets, props from Central America and the Caribbean, even a small aircraft graveyard… it’s all good. There is one jet aircraft however that is extremely rare at MIA, so rare that as of the January 1973 North American OAG it’s limited to just a single daily flight. Please identify the aircraft as well as the airline and airport that it flies into Miami from.
Aero Peru Convair 990 from Lima ?
Old May 15, 2022, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
not in the North American OAG, and I doubt Panama City/PTY was either
Old May 16, 2022, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

Per jrl767: We’ve ruled out the 880, 720/720B, and Caravelle … I don’t think Mexicana served MIA, so that eliminates their Comet IV; how about BOAC with a VC-10 from Bermuda/BDA

Per WHBM: Aero Peru Convair 990 from Lima ?

Per jrl767: Not in the North American OAG, and I doubt Panama City/PTY was either

Nope, it was not BOAC from Bermuda. Indeed, I'm not sure BA ever operated the VC10 into Miami. (Anyone here know for sure?) As for Bermuda as an intermediate stop between MIA and Europe i.e. nonstop MIA-BDA, that routing may have ended with Aerovias Guest and its Comets. What say you all? I do remember BOAC 707s being scheduled in from Nassau and possibly nonstop to London, but in any event, BOAC and its VC10 are neither the aircraft nor the airline we're looking for here.

Please, guess again!

Neeb Neep!!

P.S. To WHBM - I can't think of any foreign airlines that in early 1973 operated the aircraft we're looking for into MIA. Once the answer is revealed, we'll see what you think...

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 16, 2022 at 11:01 am
Old May 16, 2022, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Per jrl767: We’ve ruled out the 880, 720/720B, and Caravelle … I don’t think Mexicana served MIA, so that eliminates their Comet IV; how about BOAC with a VC-10 from Bermuda/BDA

Per WHBM: Aero Peru Convair 990 from Lima ?

Per jrl767: Not in the North American OAG, and I doubt Panama City/PTY was either

Nope, it was not BOAC from Bermuda. Indeed, I'm not sure BA ever operated the VC10 into Miami. (Anyone here know for sure?) As for Bermuda as an intermediate stop between MIA and Europe i.e. nonstop MIA-BDA, that routing may have ended with Aerovias Guest and its Comets. What say you all? I do remember BOAC 707s being scheduled in from Nassau and possibly nonstop to London, but in any event, BOAC and its VC10 are neither the aircraft nor the airline we're looking for here.

Please, guess again!

Neeb Neep!!

P.S. To WHBM - I can't think of any foreign airlines that in early 1973 operated the aircraft we're looking for into MIA. Once the answer is revealed, we'll see what you think...
To begin with, Mexicana was serving Miami at this time....but with the 727 and thus not with the Comet.

And I was ready to guess LACSA with a BAC One-Eleven series 500 from Grand Cayman with this flight originating in San Jose, Costa Rica. However, your P.S. comment concerning foreign airlines suggests we may be looking for a domestic air carrier here.
Old May 16, 2022, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4- I've been looking at jets that were about to disappear from commercial service; maybe the answer is a type that had been around for a few years ... one that, although quite common at many other airports, just wasn't a regular visitor to MIA at this particular time ... Delta DC-8-61, possibly serving MIA as a stop between Atlanta/ATL and Ft Lauderdale/FLL or West Palm Beach/PBI
Old May 16, 2022, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767

I've been looking at jets that were about to disappear from commercial service; maybe the answer is a type that had been around for a few years ... one that, although quite common at many other airports, just wasn't a regular visitor to MIA at this particular time ... Delta DC-8-61, possibly serving MIA as a stop between Atlanta/ATL and Ft Lauderdale/FLL or West Palm Beach/PBI

Again, the aircraft in question was operated only via a single daily flight into Miami. While Delta operated a few DC-8-61s (Only a 6 year old airplane at this time) into MIA in early 1973, so too did National and Eastern. So nope, the search continues....
Old May 16, 2022, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

16. (1972) Normally you book Delta to get from Caracas to Los Angeles, but alas, they’ve no seats available on the day you need to travel. Thankfully another airline does, in First Class, on a two stop direct flight no less. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type.
16. I think this may have been a joint operation by Viasa and Aeronaves de Mexico with '"through plane" interchange service. If so, aircraft was probably a DC-8. As for the stops, I'll guess Mexico City and Acapulco.
Old May 16, 2022, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
16. (1972) Normally you book Delta to get from Caracas to Los Angeles, but alas, they’ve no seats available on the day you need to travel. Thankfully another airline does, in First Class, on a two stop direct flight no less. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type.

I think this may have been a joint operation by Viasa and Aeronaves de Mexico with '"through plane" interchange service. If so, aircraft was probably a DC-8. As for the stops, I'll guess Mexico City and Acapulco

I sourced this question from an Aeronaves de Mexico timetable and you are spot on as to the VA/AM interchange which appears to be operated with AM metal all the way through. The aircraft is of course a DC-8 but the second stop is not Acapulco...
Old May 16, 2022, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It's not a BAC-111, DC-8-61 or a VC-10 or 880/990 or DC-9 of any variant

5. (1993) What a wonderful week you’ve had in Aruba. You might even consider buying a beachfront condo here someday. In the meantime, it’s back to the cold gray skies of the Windy City. On a positive note, you’ll get to fly back into Chicago’s Midway Airport, much closer to your home on da South Side. Your trip will involve two nonstop flights, each on different airlines. Although both airlines will be operating the same model of aircraft, you’ll be transferring to a different variant for the flight into Midway. Please provide the name of the two airlines, the two different aircraft and of course the connection airport.
ALM AUA-ATL MD-80 is known. We need a smaller a/c and different carrier ATL-MDW

11. (1993) From one side of the country to the other - You’re traveling from Vancouver, BC to Halifax, NS. Your first flight will be nonstop, after which you’ll connect to a one-stopper to Halifax. Two small twinjets of different manufacture will be employed and you’ll be fed breakfast, lunch and dinner along the way. Please identify the two airlines, the two enroute stops and the two equipment types.
See post 25805

15. (1973) You’re traveling from Montego Bay to Tampa. You’ll be making an overnight connection in Miami where you’ll visit with your cousins before continuing on to Tampa the next day. Two things: One - You’ll be flying aboard the only flight in each market (MBJ-MIA and MIA-TPA) operated with single class aircraft and two - your flight from Miami up to Tampa will have a single enroute stop. Please identify the two airlines, the aircraft each operates on this trip and the enroute stop between Miami and Tampa

It's AM DC-8 CCS-MEX-____-LAX (Not GDL)

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 18, 2022 at 11:01 pm
Old May 16, 2022, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
5. (1993) What a wonderful week you’ve had in Aruba. You might even consider buying a beachfront condo here someday. In the meantime, it’s back to the cold gray skies of the Windy City. On a positive note, you’ll get to fly back into Chicago’s Midway Airport, much closer to your home on da South Side. Your trip will involve two nonstop flights, each on different airlines. Although both airlines will be operating the same model of aircraft, you’ll be transferring to a different variant for the flight into Midway. Please provide the name of the two airlines, the two different aircraft and of course the connection airport.
How about an ALM MD-80 AUA-ATL connecting to a Delta MD-88 ATL-MDW?

It's not a BAC-111, DC-8-61 or a VC-10
Delta Convair 880 from ATL?

Last edited by Herb687; May 16, 2022 at 5:34 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old May 16, 2022, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's AM DC-8 CCS-MEX-____-LAX
16. Let's make that second stop in Guadalajara.
Old May 16, 2022, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not a BAC-111, DC-8-61 or a VC-10
4- it’s also not a Convair 880 or a 720/720B … I was briefly entertaining Northeast’s 990 from Boston/BOS (or possibly Philadelphia/PHL), but the DL/NE merger was finalized in Aug 1972

how about Southern, with a DC-9-10 from Orlando/MCO
Old May 17, 2022, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA
I'm wondering if we have been on the wrong track with mainstream jet airliners, and it's one of those oddball business jets operating a scheduled service. For example, did NASA ever get an operator to schedule a Lockheed Jetstar from Miami to Cape Kennedy ?

Or Pan Am, in 1973, had taken on the sales agency for the Dassault Falcon. Dragged for a while until someone brilliant talked C R Smith into buying a Federal Express fleet of them. Did they ever use one just as a bit of a taster, say daily scheduled from Miami to Nassau, their shortest route ?

Last edited by WHBM; May 18, 2022 at 6:00 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.