Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2021, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
In 1964, no airline was flying the DC-9 (it didn't enter service with DL until Dec 1965) or Convair 580 (it didn't enter service until 1966/67), and Braniff hadn't received their 727s yet. Hopefully, you'll enjoy questions about Continental Viscounts, Braniff Electras, and Frontier DC-3s instead!
Glad you're on top of it, Joe! Me - too many glasses of Woodford Reserve I reckon. I know I speak for us all though when I say we all look forward to your upcoming set!
Old Sep 4, 2021, 3:03 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
As some of you know, now that I've been to all 50 states, I've set a new goal to visit all 63 national parks. Two weeks ago, I flew to Montrose to go hiking at Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. In the last three years, I've also flown into Vernal (to visit Dinosaur National Monument), Grand Junction (to visit Colorado National Monument) and Alamosa (to hike to the top of the dunes at Great Sand Dunes National Park). When I put the quiz together, I may include questions about these airports, too.
A little off-topic, but can you name two National Parks that are right next to each other?
Old Sep 4, 2021, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

Well, here's a two part bonus question....

It's 1991 and you are planning on visiting a national monument in New Mexico which features an extinct volcano. You will fly on board a mainline aircraft into the closest airport to this national monument which has jet service, rent a car and then drive the rest of the way.

1. What airport will you fly into?

2. What is the name of the national monument?
Seat 2A has visited this National Monument but he has not flown into the nearest airport which was served with twin-jet equipment ...

HINT: The airport we are looking for, which is located just under 150 miles away from the national monument in question, was actually served by two airlines with jet equipment at this time in 1991. One of the airlines operated two different types, both of them twin engine, while the other air carrier operated a tri-jet powered aircraft. Thus, there were three different mainline jet aircraft types being operated in scheduled passenger service into this airport at this time.

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 4, 2021 at 11:06 am Reason: correction concerning distance from airport to national monument
Old Sep 4, 2021, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by teddybear99
A little off-topic, but can you name two National Parks that are right next to each other?
Yes. Based upon 2019 visitation statistics, they are the sixth and seventh most visited National Parks...
Old Sep 4, 2021, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

HINT: The airport we are looking for, which is located just under 150 miles away from the national monument in question, was actually served by two airlines with jet equipment at this time in 1991. One of the airlines operated two different types, both of them twin engine, while the other air carrier operated a tri-jet powered aircraft. Thus, there were three different mainline jet aircraft types being operated in scheduled passenger service into this airport at this time.
Ah... seems I was thinking of the wrong airport, which is slightly farther away. As to the airport in question, (assuming it's the one I think it is) I believe it may also have seen 4-engine jet service back in the day...
Old Sep 4, 2021, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Ah... seems I was thinking of the wrong airport, which is slightly farther away. As to the airport in question, (assuming it's the one I think it is) I believe it may also have seen 4-engine jet service back in the day...
I'm not sure if the airport in question was ever served with a four engine jetliner....unless the aircraft was a BAe 146.

However, I cannot find any evidence of this.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here we go once again. Please limit your response to two quiz items per day so that all may participate. And please be as specific as possible when identifying aircraft types.

1. It's 1963 and you are on your way from Tokyo to Calcutta. The airline you are flying on does not offer a direct flight so you will be making a connection with only 35 minutes on the ground between flights. Your first flight makes two stops en route to your connecting airport and your second flight makes three stops en route to Calcutta. You'll be flying on the same aircraft type on both flights. Identify the air carrier, the connecting airport, the stops made by each flight and the equipment. ANSWERED

The next five quiz items all have a time line of 1967....

2. You need to travel from Curacao to Detroit. There is no nonstop or direct service so you'll have to make a connection and travel on two different airlines with each operating the same aircraft type on their respective flights. Your first flight will be nonstop to your connecting airport and your second flight will be nonstop as well. You'll have two hours and 40 minutes to make your connection. Name both air carriers, the connecting airport and the equipment. ANSWERED

3. Now you're in Providence, Rhode Island and are preparing travel to Newport News, Virginia. You've found a direct flight which operates daily except on Sundays and makes four stops en route. Identify the airline, all four stops and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

4. You've been asked to attend a meeting in Abadan, Iran and your current location is New York City. You're surprised to find that one airline can get you there but a connection will be required. The connecting interval between both flights will be just one hour and ten minutes. Your first flight from New York JFK will make one stop en route to your connecting airport and the second flight will make three stops en route to Abadan. The same aircraft type will be operated on both flights. Name the air carrier, the stops made by both flights, the connecting airport and the equipment. ANSWERED

5. Now you're in Houston and are on your way to Minneapolis/St. Paul. You're in no big hurry and so you are traveling on a daily direct flight which makes five stops en route. Identify the airline, all five stops in order and the aircraft. ANSWERED

6. It's been lovely sailing trip off the coast of Jamaica but now it's time to get back to work. And that means flying first class from Montego Bay to Baltimore. Your travel plans will involve a connection between two different airlines and both of your flights will be nonstop with the same aircraft type being operated on each flight. You'll have just over three hours to make your connection. Name both air carriers, the connecting airport and the equipment. ANSWERED

The next three quiz items have a time line of 1973.....

7. You're back in New York City where you've just finished a consulting project. There's a sailboat in Florida you've had your eye on for possible purchase and that means a nonstop flight to Miami. You've found a convenient dinner flight and first class is available. Identify the airline, the airport you will depart from in the NYC area and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

8. You've closed the deal on the sailboat and now must travel from Miami to Philadelphia for a meeting. You'll be on an early afternoon nonstop flight and lunch will be served. Name the air carrier and the equipment. Delta operating a ______________. The aircraft wasn't a D9S, 72S, CV-880, D8S or DC8.

9. The meeting in Philadelphia went well but a follow up meeting is required in Boston. So now you're on a late afternoon nonstop from PHL to BOS. Identify the airline and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

The next three quiz items have a time line of 1974.....

10. It's a lovely Saturday and you are back in Detroit where you've just finished a consulting assignment. The phone rings and guess who it is....."Hey, buddy, we are in the midst of a sailing trip with the cat from Santa Barbara to Costa Rica! One of my friends who was helping yours truly sail the boat has a family emergency so we just put him on a plane home. So come on down!" And where is the catamaran moored? "Acapulco!" Well, there just happens to be direct two stop flight from Detroit to Acapulco departing in the early afternoon....and first class is available. Name the airline, both stops and the equipment. ANSWERED

11. Now you are in Los Angeles. You need to attend a meeting in New York City but first you will need to stop at a location on the U.S. east coast to pick up some important documents. So this means you will fly from LAX on board a transcontinental nonstop, pick up the documents which will be hand delivered to you at your connecting airport, and then fly nonstop to New York JFK Airport. You'll be traveling on the same airline with the same aircraft type being operated on both flights. You'll have one hour and 50 minutes on the ground at your connecting airport. Identify the air carrier, the connecting airport and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

12. You have been asked for advice concerning air travel for newlywed good friends who will be honeymooning in Barbados. They live in Fort Wayne, Indiana so three flights with two connections will be required. The first two flights will be operated by the same airline with the third flight being operated by another air carrier. The first flight will be a relatively quick nonstop hop to the airport where the first connection will be made with one hour and five minutes on the ground. The second flight will be a nonstop to Miami where the connecting time will be just over three hours . And the third flight will make two stops en route. Different aircraft types manufactured by the same company will be operated on each flight. Name both airlines, the first connecting airport, the two stops made by the flight departing from Miami and all three aircraft types. ANSWERED

13. Now it's 1975 and you are in Toronto. You need to attend a meeting in Memphis but are in no big rush to get there. So you've constructed an interesting itinerary involving two different airlines operating the same aircraft type on their respective flights. Your first flight will make one stop en route to the connecting airport where you'll have one hour and 30 minutes to make your connection. Your second flight will make three stops en route. Identify both airlines, the connecting airport, the stops made by both flights and the equipment. ANSWERED

14. It's still 1975 and you've just stepped off a sailboat in the Bahamas. Now you're off to Minneapolis/St. Paul on business. You will need to make a connection for your travel from Nassau to MSP and two different airlines flying the same aircraft type will be involved. You will be on a mid afternoon departure from NAS with this flight making two stops en route to your connecting city where you'll have a mere 23 minutes to make your connection (the OAG lists the minimum connecting time between these two air carriers at the connecting airport in question as 20 minutes). Your second flight will be nonstop to MSP. Name both airlines, the two stops made by the first flight, the connecting city and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

The next two quiz items both have a time line of 1979....

15. You're in Atlanta and are on your way to Des Moines on board a direct flight which makes one stop en route. Identify the air carrier, the stop and the equipment. ANSWERED

16. You've successfully concluded your business in Des Moines and are now traveling to Sacramento on board a direct flight which makes two stops en route. Name the airline, both stops and the aircraft. ANSWERED

17. It's 1981 and you are in London, England. You need to attend a meeting in Vancouver, B.C. but before you do so, you first need to attend a meeting in Honolulu where you will also pick up some important documents for your meeting in Vancouver. You ascertain that you can fly on the same airline from London to Honolulu to Vancouver. Your first flight will make one stop en route and your second flight will be nonstop. Identify the air carrier, the airport you will depart from in the London area, the stop made by the first flight and the equipment. ANSWERED

18. Now it's 1982 and you are in Tampa on your way nonstop to Buffalo. Name the airline and the aircraft. ANSWERED

The next two quiz items both have a time line of 1985....

19. This air carrier ran a print ad at this time with the following headline:

Which one of these airlines takes more people to Mexico than the other three combined?

Identify the airline which ran this print ad and for bonus points also name the other three air carriers referred to in the ad. ANSWERED

20. Ah, lovely Farmington, New Mexico. You've finished your business assignment and are now going to make the quick hop on a turboprop nonstop to Albuquerque where you'll have dinner with good friends. However, when you get to the airport for your early afternoon flight, you find there's a problem: Air Midwest has a broken Swearingen Metro on the ramp at FMN and you are told this airplane is used for all of its shuttle flights between Farmington and Albuquerque with no back up aircraft available. This also means the other commuter air carrier flying the FMN - ABQ route, Mesa Air Shuttle, is now sold out on all of its afternoon and evening Beechcraft 99 flights. So what to do? Ah, your trusty OAG to the rescue! You quickly ascertain there's a nonstop flight operated by a third air carrier departing Farmington just 50 minutes after your Air Midwest flight was scheduled to depart to an airport where you will make a connection to yet another airline with just 50 minutes on the ground at this airport. So with all this in mind, name both airlines, the connecting airport and the different aircraft types operated on each flight, both of which are larger than a Swearingen Metro or Beechcraft 99. The connection was made at DRO and the second flight was operated byAmerica West with a B737-200 from DRO to ABQ. The first flight from FMN to DRO wasn't operated by CO Connection or CO Express and the equipment wasn't an EMB-120.

That should get us started with more to come.....
Seat 2A likes this.

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 10, 2021 at 10:50 am Reason: fine tuning as usual.....and answer updates
Old Sep 4, 2021, 6:34 pm

Programs: BA
17. It's 1981 and you are in London, England. You need to attend a meeting in Vancouver, B.C. but before you do so, you first need to attend a meeting in Honolulu where you will also pick up some important documents for your meeting in Vancouver. You ascertain that you can fly on the same airline from London to Honolulu to Vancouver. Your first flight will make one stop en route and your second flight will be nonstop. Identify the air carrier, the airport you will depart from in the London area, the stop made by the first flight and the equipment.
You could likely have done all this on Wardair, but this is before they were allowed to move their holiday flights into schedules. So my hunch is this is could be when Western were feeling expansive with a DC-10-30, outwards London Gatwick-Anchorage-Honolulu, then back Honolulu-Vancouver. Didn't last too long.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
11.Now you are in Los Angeles. You need to attend a meeting in New York City but first you will need to stop at location on the U.S. east coast to pick up some important documents. So this means you will fly from LAX on board a transcontinental nonstop, pick up the documents which will be hand delivered to you at your connecting airport, and then fly nonstop to New York JFK Airport. You'll be traveling on the same airline with the same aircraft type being operated on both flights. You'll have one hour and 50 minutes on the ground at your connecting airport. Identify the air carrier, the connecting airport and the aircraft type.
11- I can think of two airlines operating 707s via two different East Coast airports within 250 miles of JFK, but I think the actual answer contains larger numbers … National Airlines with a pair of 747s connecting in Miami/MIA
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

10. It's a lovely Saturday and you are back in Detroit where you've just finished a consulting assignment. The phone rings and guess who it is....."Hey, buddy, we are in the midst of a sailing trip with the cat from Santa Barbara to Costa Rica! One of my friends who was helping yours truly sail the boat has a family emergency so we just put him on a plane home. So come on down!" And where is the catamaran moored? "Acapulco!" Well, there just happens to be direct two stop flight from Detroit to Acapulco departing in the early afternoon....and first class is available. Name the airline, both stops and the equipment.

Let's start with the obvious - American running a 707 routing DTW-ORD-DFW-ACA

11. Now you are in Los Angeles. You need to attend a meeting in New York City but first you will need to stop at location on the U.S. east coast to pick up some important documents. So this means you will fly from LAX on board a transcontinental nonstop, pick up the documents which will be hand delivered to you at your connecting airport, and then fly nonstop to New York JFK Airport. You'll be traveling on the same airline with the same aircraft type being operated on both flights. You'll have one hour and 50 minutes on the ground at your connecting airport. Identify the air carrier, the connecting airport and the aircraft type.

I could see TWA running LAX-PHL with a 707 connecting to another 707 up to JFK

P.S. Great job as always on the questions, Mr. Lemon!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 4, 2021 at 11:51 pm
Old Sep 4, 2021, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
4 Sep — a notable date in commercial aviation history

today marks the 50th anniversary of the first Concorde transatlantic flight (part of a sales & marketing tour; not a nonstop or a revenue flight)
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 5:47 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jrl767
today marks the 50th anniversary of the first Concorde transatlantic flight (part of a sales & marketing tour; not a nonstop or a revenue flight)
Forgotten his name, but the BAC sales manager for The Americas in the 1960s-70s was a onetime test pilot for Bristol Aircraft, merged into BAC, and may well have been on this trip. I say "may well have" because the trip, to Brazil/South America, appears to have been wholly designed to suit a French trade fair etc. It was always notable that whereas in Britain the Concorde project was always presented as joint Anglo-French, in France it was only ever mentioned as French. The same still applies to Airbus nowadays.

There's a prominent transport writer in Britain, Roger Ford, mainly writes about rail but is also a PPL (and thus shared a flying club cafe with WHBM), who has "10 golden engineering principles" about major projects, witty but generally true. One of the ten is "Never get into a joint venture with the French".

Reconnections' Miscellany: Transport Laws - July 2021 - London Reconnections
Old Sep 5, 2021, 7:08 am

GREAT questions.

2. KLM DC8 CUR-MIA, connecting to a DL DC-8 MIA-DTW

3. A National Electra, via LGA, PHL, DCA, and RIC.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello All,

Apologies for not responding sooner. We lost internet service (as well as cable TV and land line phone) yesterday afternoon. A technician is here at our home now, has rectified the situation and is just finishing up his paperwork. So I will be responding to your answers shortly. Thanks for your patience.
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
You could likely have done all this on Wardair, but this is before they were allowed to move their holiday flights into schedules. So my hunch is this is could be when Western were feeling expansive with a DC-10-30, outwards London Gatwick-Anchorage-Honolulu, then back Honolulu-Vancouver. Didn't last too long.
17. Correct! Here are the scheds....

WA 11: London Gatwick (LGW) 5:30p - 3:20p Anchorage (ANC) 4:50p - 10:35p Honolulu (HNL)
Freq: Fridays & Sundays only
Service classes: F/Y/K
Meal services: Of course....with "Islander Service" ANC-HNL
Equip: DC-10-30

RON in HNL.....

WA 590: Honolulu (HNL) 2:15p - 9:40p Vancouver (YVR)
Freq: Daily except Tuesdays & Wednesdays
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Dinner "Islander Service"
Equip: DC-10 (not sure if the flight was operated with a series -10 or series -30)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.