Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2021, 5:06 pm

GREAT questions. Here are my first guesses:

63. Northwest, from MSP and DTW, and the short lived American International from ACY.

64. If there is one stop to the connection point, and four stops from the connection point onward, that eliminates a change of plane in Europe, and, because PA did not serve LIM in 1972, the US is probably out. However, Air France's short lived Tokyo-Tahiti-Lima route may have been in operation then, so I'll guess AF LIM-PPT-HND, connecting to HND-HKG-BKK-BOM-THR-BEY, with 707-328s on all sectors

66. This was during AA's first attempt to fly to the South Pacific. I'll guess an AA DC-10 YYZ-ORD, connecting to an AA 707-323 ORD-HNL-PPT
Old Jan 12, 2021, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
67. (1959) Per schedules referenced within the pages of my 1959 North American OAG, only one airline is shown to operate both the Lockheed Super Constellation AND the Bristol Britannia. Can you guess which one it is8?
67- BOAC still ran a few long-haul flights with the DC-7 in addition to their Britannias, and Aeronaves de Mexico and Canadian Pacific were both DC-6 operators, so this has to be Cubana who must have been transitioning from the Connie around this time
Old Jan 12, 2021, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
88. (1984) After a dedicated and long running search, you’ve located a 1939 Packard One-Twenty Club Coupe. Now you’d like to go out and have a look at the car personally before meeting the substantial asking price. The car is located in Ronkonkoma, Long Island and the owner has offered to come pick you up if you can fly into nearby Macarthur Airport. Pfft! That’ll be a stretch. But NO! Lo and behold there’s actually a single daily direct 2-stop flight between Kansas City and Macarthur that offers food enroute. Mmmm! You love airplane food! Identify the airline, the two enroute stops and, um… oh yeah! The aircraft type.

Yet another wild guess.....Northeastern International operating a B727-100 via New Orleans (MSY) and Orlando (MCO).

Not that wild, JL - Northeast International was a prime time operator at Islip back in the mid-eighties. And of course knowledgeable participants such as yourself would be aware of QS's midwestern ports of cal-l such as MCI and OKC. That said, your answer is mostly correct with one exception: The flight does not stop in Orlando. Here's what we've got so far. Tap that baby in!

Northeast International QS 160 Kansas City (MCI) 115p-305p S New Orleans (MSY) 350p-610p S __________ XXXp-XXXp S Long Island (ISP) 727-100 Daily
Old Jan 12, 2021, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by dfw88
70. (2015) Alright then. You’re really gonna do it this year. You’re finally going to attend Austin’s famous Bat Festival! Austin is home to the world's largest urban bat colony (1.5 million Mexican Free-Tailed Bats have taken up seasonal residence beneath the Ann Richard's Congress Street Bridge) and watching them take to the skies for their nightly flight is a sight to behold. Add to that live music, great food and a costume contest and you’ve got the makings of a great weekend. Now then, how to get there from your home in Hollywood, Florida? What’s this?! Holy Contrails, Batman! There’s a nonstop flight to Austin departing Ft. Lauderdale each day at 3:30pm. Book it, Robin! Name the airline and equipment utilized on this route, and then fire up the Bat Mobile.

As an Austin resident at that time I'm 90% sure Spirit hadn't yet landed in AUS in 2015 (I know this because I had to drive to Houston to take advantage of their cheap fares in December 2015). I'm tired of guessing WN so I'll go with B6 with an A320.

Looks to me like you were wide awake with that answer, dfw JetBlue is correct! Here's the schedule:

JetBlue B6 511 Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) 330p-527p Austin (AUS) A320-200 Daily

P.S.
Did you ever attend the Bat Festival?
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
72. (1970) It’s been great visiting your MeeMaw down in Mobile, Alabama but now it’s time to return to Detroit and your job on the assembly line at Ford Motors’ Michigan Assembly Plant in nearby Wayne, MI. Although you had to make a connection on your flights down to Mobile, you’re pleased to discover that there’s a direct four stop flight all the way back up to the Motor City. No change of planes. Dig it! Identify the airline, the equipment and the four enroute stops in order.
72- I think we're looking at Atlanta/ATL as the first stop with either of two carriers -- United on the old Capital route up through Pittsburgh (plus two), or Eastern on a more direct line ... from the last set of questions we know that the Electra was pretty much out of their mainline picture by 1970, so let's try a DC-9-30 via Louisville/SDF, Columbus/CMH, and Toledo/TOL

re the answer to 68: GTR is Golden Triangle Regional serving Columbus MS (which I visited on board a Southern Airways Martin 404 in May of 1977)
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
63. (1984) Back in 1984, Chicago’s Midway Airport was a ghost town compared with its renaissance from the 1990s onward. Outside of Midway Airlines, only two other airlines operated a combined total of less than 10 jet flights into MDW. Identify those airlines and which cities they served Midway from. One airline came in from 2 cities, the other only one.

Northwest, from MSP and DTW, and the short lived American International from ACY.

You've correctly identified the two airlines involved, however well need a bit more work on the airports of origin. Northwest did indeed come in nonstop from Minneapolis with five mostly daily flights - all 72S equipped. Surprisingly, NW did not fly in nonstop from DTW. As for American International, good call! NI served MDW from two airports - neither of them ACY. NI did offer direct 1 and 2 stop flights between ACY and MDW. So then, we're looking for those two airports that American International served MDW from.

64. (1972) As a long time courier for the government of Peru, you’ve been sent to some far flung corners of the world. This new assignment might be the farthest ever. You’ve been tasked with delivering some unknown items – in a locked briefcase no less – from Lima all the way to Beirut, Lebanon. Thankfully the government travel secretary has found you a flight involving only a single connection aboard the same airline all the way through. As an added bonus, given the sensitive nature of the briefcase’s contents, you’ll be flying in First Class all the way. Identify the airline you’ll be flying aboard, the enroute stops (there’s one stop between Lima and the connecting point and four stops between the connecting point and Beirut) and of course the single aircraft type employed throughout.

If there is one stop to the connection point, and four stops from the connection point onward, that eliminates a change of plane in Europe, and, because PA did not serve LIM in 1972, the US is probably out. However, Air France's short lived Tokyo-Tahiti-Lima route may have been in operation then, so I'll guess AF LIM-PPT-HND, connecting to HND-HKG-BKK-BOM-THR-BEY, with 707-328s on all sectors

I remember posing a question that involved that Air France Lima to Tokyo flight, but it was from 1969. So - I double checked my 1972 OAG and Air France was no longer flying between Lima and Tokyo or even Papeete. As such we're looking for a different airline and routing here.

Please, guess again.

66. (1972) You’ve worked hard for this vacation and now the big day is finally here. You’ll be flying from Toronto, Canada to Pago Pago, way out there in American Samoa. You’ll be on the same airline all the way through and you’ll only have to make one connection. You’ll fly nonstop to the connection point and from there Pago Pago is just one stop away. Identify the airline you’ll be flying, the connection point and the one enroute stop on your flight between the connection point and Pago Pago.

Given the longstanding limit of two questions per day, I'll wait on this one until tomorrow if you care to resubmit it. As always, most of you regulars are so well versed on this stuff that you could easily answer a third to half of these questions in your first go round, and this "quiz" would be over in a much shorter time. Add to that the fact that with my limited intellect I am not able to research and formulate these questions anywhere near as quickly as you all are capable of answering them. As such, in the interest of allowing equal participation for all - not to mention less down time between questions - the decision was made to draw the line at two questions per day.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
67. (1959) Per schedules referenced within the pages of my 1959 North American OAG, only one airline is shown to operate both the Lockheed Super Constellation AND the Bristol Britannia. Can you guess which one it is?

BOAC still ran a few long-haul flights with the DC-7 in addition to their Britannias, and Aeronaves de Mexico and Canadian Pacific were both DC-6 operators, so this has to be Cubana who must have been transitioning from the Connie around this time

Somebody slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Way to work it out, J Cubana esta correcto! Cubana's Brits and Connies were both scheduled on the New York to Havana flights. Oh... to have been alive and of age in 1959!

72. (1970) It’s been great visiting your MeeMaw down in Mobile, Alabama but now it’s time to return to Detroit and your job on the assembly line at Ford Motors’ Michigan Assembly Plant in nearby Wayne, MI. Although you had to make a connection on your flights down to Mobile, you’re pleased to discover that there’s a direct four stop flight all the way back up to the Motor City. No change of planes. Dig it! Identify the airline, the equipment and the four enroute stops in order.

I think we're looking at Atlanta/ATL as the first stop with either of two carriers -- United on the old Capital route up through Pittsburgh (plus two), or Eastern on a more direct line ... from the last set of questions we know that the Electra was pretty much out of their mainline picture by 1970, so let's try a DC-9-30 via Louisville/SDF, Columbus/CMH, and Toledo/TOL

A most reasonable guess and routing - one that may well have been true in a different time and place. But alas, in late 1970 we're looking for an airline other'n Eastern operating along a different routing.

Please, guess again!
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Somebody slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Mrs767 and the cats would dispute that
... after having spent the past three days in Seattle ...
we would have been more than happy to rendezvous for a socially distanced brew or two over the weekend (especially after that sad excuse for a playoff game) ... perhaps next time
72. (MOB-DTW, 4 stops) ...in late 1970 we're looking for an airline other'n Eastern operating along a different routing.
72- well, since ATL is apparently out, let's tweak my first alternate: UA with a 727-100 via Birmingham/BHM, Bristol-Kingsport-Johnson City/TRI, PIT, and Cleveland/CLE
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per Seat 2A. "after having spent the past three days in Seattle"

Per jrl767: We would have been more than happy to rendezvous for a socially distanced brew or two over the weekend (especially after that sad excuse for a playoff game) ... perhaps next time

Truth be told, short of stepping into a restaurant to pick up a to-go order, I haven't spent any time in a restaurant or bar since last February. Add to that the fact that having been out and about on an airplane with however many other people, most people would rather "enjoy" my presence over the safe distances afforded by the internet. As such, it never occurred to me to potentially put you at risk. You know, it never came up on this past trip but I seem to recall that when I was in Seattle in December, the Governor had banned alcohol sales - at least from bars. I know the Alaska Club wasn't serving back then.

Well, since ATL is apparently out, let's tweak my first alternate: UA with a 727-100 via Birmingham/BHM, Bristol-Kingsport-Johnson City/TRI, PIT, and Cleveland/CLE

Eastern's out, but that's the only aspect of your initial response aside from the routing you provided that I dismissed. United is correct, as are BHM & PIT. So, we need two more cities and a different aircraft type. Go get 'em!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 12, 2021 at 6:59 pm
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:15 pm

P.S. Did you ever attend the Bat Festival?
I attended the bat festival several times. Always an enjoyable evening. Certainly worth a few hours if you ever find yourself in Austin that time of year.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
63. Midway Airport in 1984

Northwest (DTW) and American International already answered.

American International CLE and PHL

73. (1997) It used to be that Bellingham, WA based plane spotters who wanted to see jets had to drive down to the Boeing plant in Everett, WA or a bit farther to Seattle Tacoma International Airport. By 1997 however, Bellingham had its own once weekly jet flight. Identify the airline and aircraft and – if you’re up for it – the flight’s airport of origin.

Omni Air, DC-10-10, HNL

Last edited by Toshbaf; Jan 12, 2021 at 8:56 pm
Old Jan 12, 2021, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

72- here we go with the semantics debates again

I inferred “different routing” in your response to mean none of my four proposed stops were correct, hence I replaced ATL with BHM as the first stop ...

if ATL was indeed correct (but not credited because it was out of sequence), we’re looking at MOB-BHM-ATL-XXX-PIT-DTW ... let’s say Knoxville/TYS for the stop, and a Caravelle for the equipment

*** important stuff follows ***

similar to restaurants, WA allows outdoor table service for parties of five or fewer at breweries, distilleries, and bars with food service (take a look at my photos in the Delta Lounge thread over the past 8-10 months documenting some of our visits); also, more than a few bars and restaurants offer libations to go
Old Jan 12, 2021, 10:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL

*** important stuff follows ***

similar to restaurants, WA allows outdoor table service for parties of five or fewer at breweries, distilleries, and bars with food service (take a look at my photos in the Delta Lounge thread over the past 8-10 months documenting some of our visits); also, more than a few bars and restaurants offer libations to go
If someone had a cold or flu, would you want them preparing your food? No. So there's some logic to avoid all restaurants even though food is not the major way Covid-19 is spread. Sorry, that's my own guidelines that I follow.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 5:33 am

My apologies for answering a third question; I thought the daily limit was three questions, not two.

I'll re submit my answer for YYZ-PPG: an AA DC-10 YYZ-ORD, and an AA 707-323 Luxury Jet ORD-HNL-PPG. Had I been on these flights, I would have honored the airport of origin with Canadian Club on the rocks on the YYZ-ORD flight, then switched to Mai Tais on the ORD-HNL-PPG legs.

For Lima-Beirut, let's look south for the connection point, and take Varig LIM-BSB-GIG, connecting to GIG-Monrovia-Accra-Lagos-Cairo-Beirut, with 707s.

In the summer of 1984, two weeks after American International had shut down, I visited a nearly deserted MDW. Someone had discarded an American International MDW luggage tag on the sidewalk. I picked it up as a memento from my visit, and still have it 37 years later.

Old Jan 13, 2021, 5:47 am

Programs: BA
36. (1972)If you want to fly nonstop between Dubrovnik and London, there’s only one airline to call. Name that airline and the aircraft it employs on this route.

As we’re running out of 1-11 operators I guess it must be Cambrian with a 1-11 400? If so I had no idea they operated to Gatwick but 1972 would tally with their integration with Northeast into <?? then BA> before disappearing for ever, so maybe they did fly LGW Dubrovnik?

Indeed they did, Spongthrush. Good call! :TU: To me, the big question is why was Cambrian operating the once weekly scheduled flights on this seemingly obscure route? Perhaps it was as simple as the route and/or route authority being available and Cambrian having the airplane available to operate it. This sounds like one for WHBM. Here's the schedule:

Cambrian Airways 4752 Dubrovnik (DBV) 650p-940p London (LGW) BAC-111 Sa only
This may take me a little while to get through at present, but hey-ho, let's make a start. Cambrian, like Northeast, had long been owned by BEA (still them in 1972), and had little scheduled need for jets. However holiday flights were in the ascendency and they had quite a lot of such work by 1970 from their various minor centres of Bristol, Cardiff and Liverpool to the Mediterranean, a lengthy haul for a Viscount. BAC had sold new One-Elevens to Autair for mainstream holiday flights, no sooner got going than investors wanted to advance further as the big colourful Court Line One Eleven 500 fleet. BAC built these very quickly. but what to do with the returned aircraft ? Cambrian had an idea, BEA smiled on the financing, and there were the aircraft with new Cambrian liveries.

Holiday flight contracts rise and fall, but the other key thing for BEA's investment was a small fleet of useful go-anywhere aircraft, all at a time when BEA seemed to have recurring reliability issues with the Tridents. One of Cambrian's One-Elevens seemed based pretty permanently at Berlin on the BEA network there. There was still Mediterranean work, which tended to be on annual contracts; I recall the Liverpool-based One-Eleven which around 1970-73 spent a high intensity two/three daily roundtrips to Palma, Malaga, etc, for local leader Arrowsmith Holidays, went back-and-forth almost annually between Cambrian and Laker. But where was the main centre for this ? Gatwick of course. BEA had kicked off BEA Airtours with their old Comets, a startup which made a resounding success and sold out all their nine-Comet capacity in the first season. And a little One-Eleven to help with the ancillary stuff, there, most useful.

So, here comes JAT from a very Eastern European aviation bureaucracy world, but really opening up their resorts, everything under their own control - or not at all. All capacity reciprocal when it comes to anything scheduled, between state carriers only. Now JAT were getting their own Airtours-type holiday operation going was well, Air Jugoslavia, fleet just whatever was needed from the mainstream JAT one on the day. We saw a lot of their onetime Pan Am early 707-321s at places like East Midlands or Newcastle. But a scheduled operation? Had to be a state-owned scheduled carrier. BEA HQ ops : "Hello Cambrian ops centre in Cardiff - you know that One-Eleven doing an Ibiza and a Corfu from Gatwick on Saturdays, any chance of doing us a summer evening Dubrovnik rounder as well this year? Scheduled, surprisingly. Didn't think you'd say No, Merlyn. I'll send the detail over ...".
Seat 2A and jlemon like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.