Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2021, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
41. (1997) As curator of the Calgary Zoo, you’ll be flying to New York City to consult with the world famous Bronx Zoo on their recent acquisition of Musk Oxen. Additionally, you’re hoping to obtain a pair of rare Tasmanian Devils of which they have four. You envision first flying to Toronto but are pleased to discover a single daily one stop direct flight between Calgary and New York’s LaGuardia Airport. Identify the airline, aircraft and the enroute stop.

Lemme guess: oil route for the 1st leg - Continental via IAH with a 737-300

Another good guess - and partially correct. It was not Continental
Old Jan 8, 2021, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
57. (1984) Seems like only yesterday that you had a choice of nonstops between New York and Las Vegas, including a daily 747 flight. Sigh… Those were the days… the good old days. These days, the New York to Las Vegas market is down to a single morning nonstop out of JFK. At least you’ll get a breakfast along the way. Airline and aircraft please.

"UA D8S" is partially correct -- this means
  • if "UA" is correct, the jet is a 767
  • if "D8S" is correct, the airline is Delta (with a definitely-non-hub-centric route)
I've missed more than a few tap-in answers over the years, and will probably continue to do so, but it's all in good camaraderie -- DL D8S

Okay, so we're going with the DC-8-61/3. FWIW, I don't believe Delta ever flew JFK-LAS until they'd established their JFK hub many years later. And it wasn't United, so...
Old Jan 8, 2021, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
57. Okay, so we're going with the DC-8-61/3. FWIW, I don't believe Delta ever flew JFK-LAS until they'd established their JFK hub many years later. And it wasn't United, so...
so ... we’re looking at a startup other than MGM Grand, or a supplemental, of which four — Arrow, Capitol, Transamerica, and World — come to mind

the problem is that I can’t think of any other startups with the D8S, and I can’t place any of the supplementals at LAS, so I’m gonna say we can drop Arrow (most of their operations centered around San Juan) and World (served Newark rather than JFK) from the discussion ... TV (that’s Transamerica, lol) will have to do for tonight; anyone else is welcome to weigh in
Old Jan 8, 2021, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
57. (1984) Seems like only yesterday that you had a choice of nonstops between New York and Las Vegas, including a daily 747 flight. Sigh… Those were the days… the good old days. These days, the New York to Las Vegas market is down to a single morning nonstop out of JFK. At least you’ll get a breakfast along the way. Airline and aircraft please.

So ... we’re looking at a startup other than MGM Grand, or a supplemental, of which four — Arrow, Capitol, Transamerica, and World — come to mind. The problem is that I can’t think of any other startups with the D8S, and I can’t place any of the supplementals at LAS, so I’m gonna say we can drop Arrow (most of their operations centered around San Juan) and World (served Newark rather than JFK) from the discussion ... TV (that’s Transamerica, lol) will have to do for tonight; anyone else is welcome to weigh in

Keep thinking... You're getting much closer. And you're right - the supplementals are out because they weren't scheduled. As for TransAmerica, the only domestic scheduled flight I'm aware of them offering was the once weekly STL-DFW-HNL 747 back around 1990 or thereabouts. The airline we're looking for has come up in discussion a few times over the years here...
Old Jan 8, 2021, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Delta DL 1067 Corpus Christi (CRP) 455p-608p S Dallas (DFW) 648p-800p Lubbock (LBB) 737-200 Daily

Yes, this sound right. The flight number sounds vaguely familiar and the 8 pm arrival into LBB seems right. I know it was not morning or early afternoon.

I hate to see the flight arrival board of LBB now. I suspect it has a lot of regional jets and quite possibly only Southwest having mainline service. AA might have it to DFW. DL closed its DFW hub by around 2004. In 2005, the Skylink train at DFW opened. I did not have a chance to ride it during it's first year of opening except (will I go to jail?) before it opened. They had a "closed" sign but someone busted the yellow caution tape blocking the escalator so I walked up along with a rollabag (roller bag). Then I took a loop around. It was still testing so stops at the terminal were long, maybe a minute or two. Nobody stopped me. I took a selfie except with a camera, not a phone as smartphones were not sold, just flip phones.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 12:29 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
36. (1972) If you want to fly nonstop between Dubrovnik and London, there’s only one airline to call. Name that airline and the aircraft it employs on this route.
It's not JAT
I recall there was one more airline in Yugoslavia in 1972 called Inex-Adria Aviopromet (Inex-Adria Airways in the English version). The airline then became Adria (yes this Adria that went bankrupt in 2019).

So let me try with Inex-Adria Aviopromet (Inex-Adria Airways).

Aircraft - how about DC9-30?
Old Jan 9, 2021, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

41. (1997) As curator of the Calgary Zoo, you’ll be flying to New York City to consult with the world famous Bronx Zoo on their recent acquisition of Musk Oxen. Additionally, you’re hoping to obtain a pair of rare Tasmanian Devils of which they have four. You envision first flying to Toronto but are pleased to discover a single daily one stop direct flight between Calgary and New York’s LaGuardia Airport. Identify the airline, aircraft and the enroute stop.
41. Monty, it's time to go for broke here.....and I'll take door number three and United with a B737-300 via Denver.

Plus, the weather question of the day.....

Snow is forecast to fall tomorrow night here in Louisiana. How far south will this snowfall reach in the state? Stay tuned.....
Old Jan 9, 2021, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
In 2005, the Skylink train at DFW opened. I did not have a chance to ride it during it's first year of opening except (will I go to jail?) before it opened.
When the Skylink opened in 2005 it was the world's largest airport train system with 64 trains. I don't know if it's still the largest. I remember riding the trains out at Beijing's old airport back in 2013. They were amazing - like being in some science fiction movie. Now that airport is no more with the opening of Beijing's new Capital Airport.

With all the cameras around airports, I'm surprised someone didn't spot your incursion and head you off at Terminal B. Thank goodness for the Skylink though. That old trAAin was like a small child's amusement park ride. Exceedingly slow and a tad rickety. My favorite airport train is the one at Denver International. It doesn't sit in the station long and moves along quite smartly. Also, I like Alan Roach's voice (Alan used to be the announcer for the Denver Broncos. The Vikings "stole" him away from us.) He's got this great baritone. I can hear him now: "Hoooold on! This train is approaching the station"
Old Jan 9, 2021, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPJ
36. (1972) If you want to fly nonstop between Dubrovnik and London, there’s only one airline to call. Name that airline and the aircraft it employs on this route.
It's not JAT

I recall there was one more airline in Yugoslavia in 1972 called Inex-Adria Aviopromet (Inex-Adria Airways in the English version). The airline then became Adria (yes this Adria that went bankrupt in 2019). So let me try with Inex-Adria Aviopromet (Inex-Adria Airways). Aircraft - how about DC9-30?

An excellent guess, TPJ. However, in 1972 I believe - though I could be wrong - that Inex-Adria was operating only charter flights into Western Europe. I have many postcards of its aircraft, though I'm still looking for the DC-8-50 Inex-Adria operated in the 1970s. In any event, we're looking for a different airline operating equipment that was not manufactured in California.

Ah... I'm getting hungry for some Slovenian dumplings and sausage as I type!

But I digress! Please, guess again!
Old Jan 9, 2021, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

Monty, it's time to go for broke here.....and I'll take door number three and United with a B737-300 via Denver.

There are not a lot of doors left, JL. That said, sound the theme music! You've picked correctly! Here's the schedule:

United UA 1602 Calgary (YYC) 320p-536p Denver (DEN) 635p-1159p D New York (LGA) 737-300 Daily

Tell him what he's won, Johnny!

JL, from our sponsors at Perdue Chicken you've just won a years supply of choice chicken parts. That's right, JL - only the finest spleens and gizzards for you! But that's not all! Make room in your garage because you and Lady K are gonna pass a good time with your new Arctic Air Two Section Reach In Freezer. With 49 cubic feet of capacity, it should provide more than enough space for all that chicken.

Plus, the weather question of the day..... Snow is forecast to fall tomorrow night here in Louisiana. How far south will this snowfall reach in the state? Stay tuned.....

Ah'mon guess Natchitoches... I can't imagine it'll get far enough south to give any of the Cajuns frissons

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 9, 2021 at 1:43 pm
Old Jan 9, 2021, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Wow! You guys are making serious progress!

It's not JAT or Inex-Adria or BEA

37. (1992) As head of the Illinois Department of Agriculture, it’s your job to find out just how North Dakota manages to get such a high yield off its wheat crops. As such, you’ll need to fly to Fargo to meet with your counterpart in the North Dakota Department of Agriculture. To your everlasting surprise and amazement, there’s a daily one stop direct flight on a jet no less departing Springfield every morning. You instruct your secretary to book a seat and a room at the Holiday Inn. Identify the airline, the enroute stop and the aircraft.
It's not Northwest with a D9S

39. (1970) You’re really looking forward to finally taking a vacation in Las Vegas. From your home in Marquette Park on Chicago’s South Side, you’re not looking forward to the drive way up north across town to O’Hare Airport. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover that there’s a single almost daily direct flight out of nearby Midway Airport that makes two enroute stops. There’s even a snack served enroute! Identify the airline, aircraft and the enroute stops.

50. (1984) This is the second time you’ve been invited to the International Frank Sinatra Idol vocal competition, to be held this year in Palm Springs, CA. This time you’re in it to win it! From your home outside of Omaha, Nebraska, you were going to fly into LAX and drive from there but when you discover that there’s a single daily two stop flight departing OMA each morning, you quickly book a seat. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type.
It's not FL or AA

It's not TWA or MGM Grand or DL or TV but it is a DC8-61 - one that's not operated by DL or UA

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 9, 2021 at 4:55 pm
Old Jan 9, 2021, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

50. (1984) This is the second time you’ve been invited to the International Frank Sinatra Idol vocal competition, to be held this year in Palm Springs, CA. This time you’re in it to win it! From your home outside of Omaha, Nebraska, you were going to fly into LAX and drive from there but when you discover that there’s a single daily two stop flight departing OMA each morning, you quickly book a seat. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type.
50. Let's go with Frontier operating a B737-200 with stops at Denver and San Diego.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
37. (1992) As head of the Illinois Department of Agriculture, it’s your job to find out just how North Dakota manages to get such a high yield off its wheat crops. As such, you’ll need to fly to Fargo to meet with your counterpart in the North Dakota Department of Agriculture. To your everlasting surprise and amazement, there’s a daily one stop direct flight on a jet no less departing Springfield every morning. You instruct your secretary to book a seat and a room at the Holiday Inn. Identify the airline, the enroute stop and the aircraft.
As head of the Illinois Dept of Agriculture, I'm going to requisition a state King Air for that trip...

But, failing that, I guess the easiest guess is NW via MSP since I don't remember UA serving SPI nor AA serving FAR.
NW DC-9-30 SPI-MSP-FAR?

(Were the equipment not a jet, I would have guessed an Air Midwest Beech 1900 via MCI)

AA 727 via DFW and ONT?

Last edited by Herb687; Jan 9, 2021 at 2:54 pm Reason: multi-guess
Old Jan 9, 2021, 3:53 pm

It's not JAT or Inex-Adria
With JU and JP ruled out....

British European Airways, HS.121 Trident to Heathrow/LHR
Old Jan 9, 2021, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Alright, let's take a halftime break from the NFL playoffs (two pretty good games today, eh?!) and address some of these responses.

Originally Posted by jlemon

Let's go with Frontier operating a B737-200 with stops at Denver and San Diego.

Frontier through DEN & SAN certainly seems plausible, but NO! We're looking for a different airline, aircraft and routing.

Please, guess again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.