Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
37- NAS-XXX-IND, 1988: Florida Express (or, later in the year, a reincarnated Braniff) with a BAC 1-11 via Orlando (MCO)
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I apologize got the delay in getting back to this question. In reference to WHBM's possibility of B-Cal operating three different widebodies on the NYC-LGW market, my OAG - which dates from November 1987 - does not reflect any service on this market from B-Cal. In fact, a check of the airline flight itinerary listings does not show B-Cal operating any service to North America. BA took over B-Cal in December of 1987. I was surprised to see however that per my OAG at least B-Cal had ceased operations to North America. Could the OAG possibly be in error?
It wasn't British Cally that I thought would have three, but BA, and to London overall rather than just LGW. Anyway, as the OAG in question is November 1987, the B Cal takeover had not happened yet.

The B Cal transatlantic routes that year from London Gatwick I believe were Houston (the jewel), Dallas, Atlanta, JFK, and LAX. New York had been a 747 the previous year but got cut back to a DC-10 when business fell, while the 747 went in exchange onto LGW-Dubai-Hong Kong.

Must have been about that time that we were in commercial contact with a farm business not far from Gatwick. They were a dairy consolidator, and every day they shipped 2 tons of refrigerated milk in individual one pint cartons by B Cal from there to Dubai, where a local distributor did very well with bulk orders to embassies, oil companies, construction companies, hotels, etc. I seem to remember it sold for about 20 times the UK price at the time.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Herb687
60. (1982) Back in 1982, twin engine jets were not widely used on long predominantly over-water flights. Indeed, from the east coast of the United States, only one airline operated 737 flights to destinations in the Caribbean over 1000 miles away. Identify that airline, the U.S. gateway airport from which its 737 flights departed and the two Caribbean destinations so served.
HINT: It's a foreign airline

Offhand, I can think of two Caribbean airlines who were big operators of 737s. The fact that there are two Caribbean destinations as opposed to just one involved is leading me to guess Bahamasair. Bahamasair 737 EWR-NAS and EWR-FPO?

Herb, those are excellent guesses - ones that I'm gonna have to get back to you on. So far as I know, Bahamasair did not commence service up to EWR until 1983 or later. My 1982 OAG that I used to reference this question is up in Fairbanks and I will be back there tomorrow night/afternoon at which time I will double check. The airline I found was different and did not operate out of EWR though it did operate 737-200s.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 12, 2019 at 6:13 pm
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
It wasn't British Cally that I thought would have three, but BA, and to London overall rather than just LGW. Anyway, as the OAG in question is November 1987, the B Cal takeover had not happened yet.

The B Cal transatlantic routes that year from London Gatwick I believe were Houston (the jewel), Dallas, Atlanta, JFK, and LAX. New York had been a 747 the previous year but got cut back to a DC-10 when business fell, while the 747 went in exchange onto LGW-Dubai-Hong Kong.

Must have been about that time that we were in commercial contact with a farm business not far from Gatwick. They were a dairy consolidator, and every day they shipped 2 tons of refrigerated milk in individual one pint cartons by B Cal from there to Dubai, where a local distributor did very well with bulk orders to embassies, oil companies, construction companies, hotels, etc. I seem to remember it sold for about 20 times the UK price at the time.
Sorry about that, WHBM. In the case of BA, the widebodies it operated to any London airports out of the New York market were the 747 and the L-1011 with the L10 being limited to a single daily flight (JFK-LHR). All other flights were operated with 747s. And, as ever I stand corrected. B-Cal did indeed operate a single daily 747 (BR 268 JFK-LGW) At quick glance that BR looked like a BA on the faded pages of my OAG. Everybody else (PA, TW, CO, LY, VS, AI & KU) operated 747s between New York and London. No McDonnell-Douglas or Airbus built jets served this market - at least not per the OAG I referenced for the question.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 12, 2019 at 6:08 pm
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
37. (1988) Sheesh! You sure do travel out of Nassau a lot! This time you’ll need to find a flight between Nassau and Indianapolis. You envision a painful layover in Miami’s damp and outdated airport (that carpet smells really bad over on the F Concourse) but lookee here! There’s a single one-stop direct flight each day that even offers not one but two snacks enroute! Book it, Danno! And don’t forget to request the lacto-ovo vegetarian option, please. Airline, aircraft and enroute stop, please.
See Post 16191 & 16198 & 16214 HINT: It's a twin-engine jet

NAS-XXX-IND, 1988: Florida Express (or, later in the year, a reincarnated Braniff) with a BAC 1-11 via Orlando (MCO)

That's the ticket, J! Here's the schedule...

Braniff BN 724 Nassau (NAS) 500p-620p S Orlando (MCO) 720p-842p S Indianapolis (IND) BAC-111 Daily
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And then there were two...

42. (1983) Following a meeting with your client at the airport lounge in Philadelphia, you’ll continue on down to Raleigh, NC. Three airlines offer nonstop flights on this route but you’ll be traveling on the least expensive one – the only one to operate its aircraft in an all-Economy Class configuration while also still serving its cheapskate passengers a luncheon enroute. By now you surely know the drill – airline, aircraft, rank and serial number.
HINT: This is the smallest jet serving this route.
HINT: It was not flown by US Air or any other major US airline

60. (1982) Back in 1982, twin engine jets were not widely used on long predominantly over-water flights. Indeed, from the east coast of the United States, only one airline operated 737 flights to destinations in the Caribbean over 1000 miles away. Identify that airline, the U.S. gateway airport from which its 737 flights departed and the two Caribbean destinations so served.
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 14, 2019 at 11:36 am
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Back in 1982, twin engine jets were not widely used on long predominantly over-water flights. Indeed, from the east coast of the United States, only one airline operated 737 flights to destinations in the Caribbean over 1000 miles away. Identify that airline, the U.S. gateway airport from which its 737 flights departed and the two Caribbean destinations so served.

Offhand, I can think of two Caribbean airlines who were big operators of 737s. The fact that there are two Caribbean destinations as opposed to just one involved is leading me to guess Bahamasair. Bahamasair 737 EWR-NAS and EWR-FPO?

Herb, those are excellent guesses - ones that I'm gonna have to get back to you on. So far as I know, Bahamasair did not commence service up to EWR until 1983 or later. My 1982 OAG that I used to reference this question is up in Fairbanks and I will be back there tomorrow night/afternoon at which time I will double check. The airline I found was different and did not operate out of EWR though it did operate 737-200s
Cayman Airways was the other Caribbean 737 operator of which I was thinking.

So, how about Cayman Airways on JFK-GCM and JFK-MBJ?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
60- I don’t think Cayman was serving the NYC area that early; I also have to believe that Miami (MIA) was the gateway, based on the sheer number of Caribbean and Central/South American carriers operating there

given the 1000-mile constraint, Central American carriers probably wouldn’t be in the mix, and I can’t think of any other Caribbean-based 737 operators ... so I’m thinking that the airline in question is from a small country in northeastern South America, and the flight continued to the capital city with a stop in either Port of Spain (POS) or Barbados (BGI) depending on the day of the week

first guess is Surinam Airways to Paramaribo (PBM)
Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

@all
Please see this new thread I just started
The "game" pre Flyertalk
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL

Air France, Miami, Pointe-ŕ-Pitre and Fort-de-France
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Back in 1982, twin engine jets were not widely used on long predominantly over-water flights. Indeed, from the east coast of the United States, only one airline operated 737 flights to destinations in the Caribbean over 1000 miles away. Identify that airline, the U.S. gateway airport from which its 737 flights departed and the two Caribbean destinations so served.

Per Herb687: Cayman Airways was the other Caribbean 737 operator of which I was thinking. So, how about Cayman Airways on JFK-GCM and JFK-MBJ?

Per jrl767: I don’t think Cayman was serving the NYC area that early; I also have to believe that Miami (MIA) was the gateway, based on the sheer number of Caribbean and Central/South American carriers operating there. Given the 1000-mile constraint, Central American carriers probably wouldn’t be in the mix, and I can’t think of any other Caribbean-based 737 operators ... so I’m thinking that the airline in question is from a small country in northeastern South America, and the flight continued to the capital city with a stop in either Port of Spain (POS) or Barbados (BGI) depending on the day of the week. First guess is Surinam Airways to Paramaribo (PBM)
Per Toshbaf: Air France, Miami, Pointe-ŕ-Pitre and Fort-de-France

Way to answer en masse, gang! Herb, I'm pretty sure the only jet Cayman was operating in early 1982 was the BAC-111-531. And I'm pretty sure its only US gateways were IAH and MIA. I logged my first flights with KX in April of '82 aboard VR-CAB roundtrip between IAH and GCM. J, Suriname Airways was still running the DC-8-60 series into MIA back in 1982. And Tosh, a good guess buddy, but Air France was still flying the 727-200 on its Caribbean operations back in 1982.

jrl767 is the closest here in surmising that the airline in question was indeed from a small South American nation.

I look forward to your continued efforts! ^^^
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

60- I know that, in the Caravelle days in the 1970s, the Air France “island-hopper” made stops at Port-au-Prince (PTP), San Juan (SJU), and St Martin (SXM) between MIA and PTP; I suspect that the route didn’t change too much in the ensuing 10 years

as far as service to the capital city of a small country in northeastern South America by the national airline, let’s try Guyana Airways to Georgetown (GEO), with non-daily stops as previously guessed (POS and BGI)
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
60- I know that, in the Caravelle days in the 1970s, the Air France “island-hopper” made stops at Port-au-Prince (PTP), San Juan (SJU), and St Martin (SXM) between MIA and PTP; I suspect that the route didn’t change too much in the ensuing 10 years

as far as service to the capital city of a small country in northeastern South America by the national airline, let’s try Guyana Airways to Georgetown (GEO), with non-daily stops as previously guessed (POS and BGI)
Great answer! But I will disagree and go with a modified answer of Guyana Airways, Georgetown - Miami, via (depending on the flight) Paramaribo and Port of Spain
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per jrl767: I know that, in the Caravelle days in the 1970s, the Air France “island-hopper” made stops at Port-au-Prince (PTP), San Juan (SJU), and St Martin (SXM) between MIA and PTP; I suspect that the route didn’t change too much in the ensuing 10 years. As far as service to the capital city of a small country in northeastern South America by the national airline, let’s try Guyana Airways to Georgetown (GEO), with non-daily stops as previously guessed (POS and BGI)

Per Toshbaf: Great answer! But I will disagree and go with a modified answer of Guyana Airways, Georgetown - Miami, via (depending on the flight) Paramaribo and Port of Spain

Way to wade in and tackle this one, guys! ^^ jrl767 is correct however with Port of Spain and Barbados being the two 1000 mile plus Caribbean destinations served from a U.S. gateway. The schedules are provided below. The flights continued on to Georgetown but because my source was a domestic OAG, I am unable to provide the BGI/POS portion of the schedules.

Guyana Airways GY 707 Miami (MIA) 300p-630p Barbados (BGI) 737-200 Friday 1610 miles
Guyana Airways GY 707 Miami (MIA) 300p-630p Port of Spain (POS) 737-200 Sunday 1620 miles
Guyana Airways GY 707 Miami (MIA) 705p-1035p Port of Spain (POS) 737-200 Wednesday 1620 miles
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The last one!

42. (1983) Following a meeting with your client at the airport lounge in Philadelphia, you’ll continue on down to Raleigh, NC. Three airlines offer nonstop flights on this route but you’ll be traveling on the least expensive one – the only one to operate its aircraft in an all-Economy Class configuration while also still serving its cheapskate passengers a luncheon enroute. By now you surely know the drill – airline, aircraft, rank and serial number.
HINT: This is the smallest jet serving this route.
HINT: It was not flown by US Air or any other major US airline

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.