Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to handle this...woman in my seat!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2011, 12:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NoParachute

I am pretty sure it was "I snoozed, I lose" and the real loser was my coworker who is 6'9" and can use all the space he can get on a plane. But to clarify, there is no such thing as "first right" in grabbing an open seat, right?
Only on LCC's (Low class carriers) like WN, where seats are not assigned and are first come, first served.

E+ reservations that cost more than regular seats. If the guy was in E+, and the FA said people could move around, maybe. Otherwise the FA still needs to know about it and he doesn't have a BP for the seat..harder to argue first right then...
Old Sep 10, 2011, 4:35 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
A different gray area...

On a recent early morning flight, my coworker had window and I had middle in the second row of E+. There was no one in the aisle, but as the gate area had been a little chaotic, I was going to wait for the doors to close before hopping over. Right before I was going to, someone else jumped up from two rows back saying "I always take the opportunity to move up two rows," and then proceeded to open up his newspaper.

I am pretty sure it was "I snoozed, I lose" and the real loser was my coworker who is 6'9" and can use all the space he can get on a plane. But to clarify, there is no such thing as "first right" in grabbing an open seat, right?
Yup - I agree it was the you snooze you lose situation....but how rude was that guy????

But as he was able to move so fast - presumably he was in an aisle seat behind?

You could always have moved to the seat he vacated to leave your friend the empty middle seat.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 4:38 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
He claimed knee surgery--but didn't mention it until I called the FA because he was pushing the seat back up. She bought it. A full plane.
Why not offer to swap seats with him? Then your wife could have reclined to her heart's content.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 5:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage
A different gray area...

On a recent early morning flight, my coworker had window and I had middle in the second row of E+. There was no one in the aisle, but as the gate area had been a little chaotic, I was going to wait for the doors to close before hopping over. Right before I was going to, someone else jumped up from two rows back saying "I always take the opportunity to move up two rows," and then proceeded to open up his newspaper.

I would have probably sat in the AISLE seat & then if a person who had the BP for that seat showed up I would have just moved over. This way, the 2+ Row poacher could have had your Middle Seat & if someone actually held that seat BP, they shouldnt think of you as a poacher as you were in the same row just trying to preserve a open seat between you & the Window person.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
A different gray area...

Yeah, you snoozed, you lost. But if you really wanted to be a d***, you could have waited for him to go to the bathroom and then poached his seat. The same rules apply, no? If he had tried to make an issue out of it, he wasn't technically assigned that seat either.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CarolynUK
Yup - I agree it was the you snooze you lose situation....but how rude was that guy????

But as he was able to move so fast - presumably he was in an aisle seat behind?

You could always have moved to the seat he vacated to leave your friend the empty middle seat.
Leaving your friend without company would be a consideration.. How rude would that perception be compared to the convenience offered to him by switching?..
Old Sep 17, 2011, 4:42 pm
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Thumbs down

The more often you let these POACHERS get away with UPGRADING themselves and being RUDE, the more you encourage them to keep doing it.
Then I may have to deal with them on another flight someday.
I am not as likely to give in.

One time on one of those small CO tubelike planes on the one seater window side, a women with an child TOLD me to move (trade) seats in a demanding middle eastern voice. Of course, I had picked the seat months before, so I said no. The father was sitting behind me.

Last edited by R&R; Sep 18, 2011 at 1:07 pm
Old Sep 17, 2011, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by R&R
THe often you let these POACHERS get away with UPGRADING themselves and being RUDE, the more you encourage them to keep doing it.
Thej I might have to deal with them on another flight someday.
I am not as likely to give in.

One time on one of those small CO tubelike planes on the one seater window side, a women with an child TOLD me to move (trade) seats in a demanding middle eastern voice. Of course, I had picked the seat months before, so I said no. The father was sitting behind me.
Sorry to hear that you were treated this way.. I imagine that you ended up hopefully with the seat..

Those requesting could at least be courteous.. could go a long way.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 5:58 am

Programs: AMEX Member Rewards
What a great thread. It never ceases to amaze me the arrogance and inconsideration people have for one another. There are some people you just want to wait to the flight hits 36,000, open the exit door and push them out! (assuming a jet with the engines on the tail so they get sucked in and minced to pieces on their way back down to earth.
Just another short example: Was recently on a JetBlue flight (which I like for domestics as their extra leg room seating is a very good deal IMHO). I was steaded by the window in an exit row and both the middle and aisle seats were empty as was a seat across the aisle in the same exit row. Immediately after the doors closed, a squatter from a few rows back flew up to take the empty seat with his girlfriend. When the FA came back to give the "this is an exit row lecture about helping out in an emergency" she immediately noticed that the 2 squatters had moved into the exit row. She asked them to take their assigned seats and when the squatter resisted, she told them very loudly so the rest of the plane could hear , that these seats were reserved for passengers who pay extra for the exit row and that if you wanted to remain in the seats she would gladly take his credit card and process the extra fare. The guys girlfriend kinda nudged him to do it but he was obviously too cheap. So with a big red face and his head down, he picked himself up and moved back to his cheaper seat with the whole back of the plane chuckling at him. It was priceless.... Kudos to the FA and that would be a great idea (charging extra on the spot) for those inconsiderate dullards who do this kind of thing.
Cotumely likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I encountered this once in domestic F finding a woman in my seat, when I took out my boarding pass to double check, she said to me, "There was a mix-up with our seats. (unsaid: I have no intention of getting up)"; her husband was seated in the window seat next to her. I let it go and took her seat, rather than deal with sitting next to her hostile husband for a couple of hours. Next time I would call in the FA.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I encountered this once in domestic F finding a woman in my seat, when I took out my boarding pass to double check, she said to me, "There was a mix-up with our seats. (unsaid: I have no intention of getting up)"; her husband was seated in the window seat next to her. I let it go and took her seat, rather than deal with sitting next to her hostile husband for a couple of hours. Next time I would call in the FA.
Hopefully her seat was equal to or better, otherwise I would have had the FA come by and sort it out..

That's a pretty good one liner though that she threw at you.. Probably was a set up having the delivery come from her rather than her husband..
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:14 pm

I encountered this once in domestic F finding a woman in my seat, when I took out my boarding pass to double check, she said to me, "There was a mix-up with our seats." ...
The proper answer is, "And it looks like you made it."

Wouldn't worry too much about the husband, he may have made the "mistaken" reservations just to have a few hours of peace away from wifey.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"There may have been a mix up with your seats, but there wasn't with mine and, it appears, you are in it. You'll have to straighten out your problem with the gate agent, but I'm sitting here."
Old Sep 18, 2011, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Hopefully her seat was equal to or better, otherwise I would have had the FA come by and sort it out..
Thing is these people who suffer from some kind of emotional detachment disorder (can't bear to be seperated from their partner even for a short flight) don't have the sense/class/manners to wait until the rightful occupant of the seat arrives and ASK . Instead they set themselves up for eviction by plonking themselves down in the seat and settling in. Ask me nicely (and don't sit in my seat before asking) and if it's an equitable swop I'll play nice -play the arrogence game and I'll dig my heels in and take it all the way up the food chain !
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by duchy
Thing is these people who suffer from some kind of emotional detachment disorder (can't bear to be seperated from their partner even for a short flight) don't have the sense/class/manners to wait until the rightful occupant of the seat arrives and ASK . Instead they set themselves up for eviction by plonking themselves down in the seat and settling in. Ask me nicely (and don't sit in my seat before asking) and if it's an equitable swop I'll play nice -play the arrogence game and I'll dig my heels in and take it all the way up the food chain !
Agree.. manners are important on delivery..

Something completely logical and sensible is overshadowed by imposing entitlement against strangers yet seen! The world revolves around a different order around these types of individuals..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.