Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The Recline Debate: Plane Returns After Fist Fight!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Recline Debate: Plane Returns After Fist Fight!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2012, 6:45 am

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Is it a mechanism that's broken? I thought it was the structure of the seat that keeps the angle of recline regulated.. Would have surprised the heck out of me as well..
I'm not sure, but whatever was supposed to STOP the seat at a certain point did not. The seat went back 2 or 3 times the normal amount. Only time ever I was on a flight that had this type of malfunction. As I was going backward I remember thinking "Is is going to stop sometime?..." and then I bounced off her upper half. Unfortunately, I can't recall the carrier or the plane type.

I would think this is adjustable somehow. I've been on flights were I had a seat that simply would not STAY UPRIGHT. Any pressure at all on the seat back and it reclined, WITHOUT pressing a button. Also, have been in seats that did NOT recline at all.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:57 pm

Did the chair recline more than intended? Totally hilarious..
I'll turn that around, I'm 6'8" and my inseam takes up the entire seat pitch. My knees in most Economy seats will be pressed against the seat in front of me. If I'm even traveling with the wife and we only use one under seat stowage my knees most of the time will be right there preventing the person in front of me reclining.
Sometimes I can put my legs sideways into my wife's (if traveling with her) under seat storage and then the person could recline but I can't sit that way on a 6 hour transcon.

I have been in, how to say, deep discussions with my forward seatmate about their right to recline and my preventing it. FA have even been involved.
Last time I had the Southwest argument used on me. The "Seat-Back-Slammer" in front of me repeatedly tried to recline. I politely explained the situation and offered that after meal service (2 side of a 762) I could put up my isle arm rest and try to place some of my legs in the isle.
That's when he got the FA and said that if he could not recline his seat that I (being the person preventing it) should have to buy two seats just like if I could not put down the arm between seats on Southwest.

First time I heard that one.... >G<
Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:27 pm

Talking Sheesh! What's Next?

I sympathize with you.

That being what it is, I've simply never had anyone stop me from reclining. And I would NEVER think to stop someone else. But I'm average. 6'1", 190 lbs. I'm athletic and fairly lean, so I fit in a coach seat very easily.

I remember one time the guy in front of me reclined and pinched my laptop that I had temporarily stowed in the seat pocket. I could not get it out. I politely asked him to simply DEcline for a few seconds so I could get the laptop out, and he blew his stack. You would have thought I'd asked him to give up his seat and go sit in the toilet for the rest of the flight.

All this being said, the whole argument is so beyond anything I would even contemplate. If someone in front of me wants to recline, so what? They paid for their seat. I would expect them to. If I want to recline? So what? I paid for my seat.

I'm shocked that it's even an issue. But then again, what's NOT an issue in today's society? I guess next, we'll have to ask our fellow PAX if it's OK if we "Read"

PAX 12a; "Excuse me sir, do you mind if I READ?"
PAX 12b; "I'd prefer you don't. It will bother me."
PAX 12a; "OK, I won't."

PAX 12a; "Um, do you mind if I breathe?"
PAX 12b; "I'd prefer if you don't. I may need the air."
PAX 12a; "OK, I won't. Um. Would you mind letting the Flight Attendant know I'll be expiring before we land?"
Pax 12b; "I'd prefer not to. I'm very busy. Please expire without bothering me."
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:10 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by Brighton Line
I'll turn that around, I'm 6'8" and my inseam takes up the entire seat pitch. My knees in most Economy seats will be pressed against the seat in front of me. If I'm even traveling with the wife and we only use one under seat stowage my knees most of the time will be right there preventing the person in front of me reclining.
Sometimes I can put my legs sideways into my wife's (if traveling with her) under seat storage and then the person could recline but I can't sit that way on a 6 hour transcon.

I have been in, how to say, deep discussions with my forward seatmate about their right to recline and my preventing it. FA have even been involved.
Last time I had the Southwest argument used on me. The "Seat-Back-Slammer" in front of me repeatedly tried to recline. I politely explained the situation and offered that after meal service (2 side of a 762) I could put up my isle arm rest and try to place some of my legs in the isle.
That's when he got the FA and said that if he could not recline his seat that I (being the person preventing it) should have to buy two seats just like if I could not put down the arm between seats on Southwest.

First time I heard that one.... >G<
I really don't see the difference between a very tall flyer who has to require the person in front of him to fly leaning forward and an obese flyer who forces his neighbor to fly leaning sideways. If you know going in that you are going to have to impose on your neighbor, you need to buy an additional seat.

You are certainly the type of guy that economy plus was made for.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 6:48 pm

Umm it's not his fault he's 6'8". The airlines are dumb to make jets that don't fit REAL people! Economy plus is x amount of dollars more, and "normal" people just don't have that but still want to go visit family or go on business. It's not his fault. I would understand if I was the person in front. With that said, if I was 6'8" I'd probably try to get exit row seats.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by tenacioustins
Umm it's not his fault he's 6'8".
Nor is it the fault of the person in front.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:30 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by tenacioustins
Umm it's not his fault he's 6'8". The airlines are dumb to make jets that don't fit REAL people! Economy plus is x amount of dollars more, and "normal" people just don't have that but still want to go visit family or go on business. It's not his fault. I would understand if I was the person in front. With that said, if I was 6'8" I'd probably try to get exit row seats.
No, it's not his fault that he is 6-8. But the fact is that he has needs that short people don't have and he needs to spend more to meet those needs.

Studies show that tall people, on average, make substantially more money than short or average people. When flying, these tall people can use some of these extra bucks to pay for the space they need instead of trying to bully other passengers.

Oh, and you say the airlines ought to make planes for "real" people. Only a very small percentage of the population is 6-2 or taller. It's far more economical to build planes for average people and let those who don't fit pay more, rather than have fewer seats and force everyone to pay more.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RobbieRunner
I'm not sure, but whatever was supposed to STOP the seat at a certain point did not. The seat went back 2 or 3 times the normal amount. Only time ever I was on a flight that had this type of malfunction. As I was going backward I remember thinking "Is is going to stop sometime?..." and then I bounced off her upper half. Unfortunately, I can't recall the carrier or the plane type.

I would think this is adjustable somehow. I've been on flights were I had a seat that simply would not STAY UPRIGHT. Any pressure at all on the seat back and it reclined, WITHOUT pressing a button. Also, have been in seats that did NOT recline at all.
Sounds like a nice alternative to a first lie flat seat.. that is if nobody is sitting behind you.

I'm 6'5" so can use the extra recline without doling out the extra bucks..
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ham Medallion
I recline as soon as the plane is in the air. Does it make me selfish if I want to maximize whatever limited comfort that's given to me in Y?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by flying_owl
I recline as soon as the plane is in the air. Does it make me selfish if I want to maximize whatever limited comfort that's given to me in Y?
Yes and no. You're not being selfish as you have the right to recline you seat but you are being insensitive to the person sitting behind you.

Also, isn't it a rule that you can't recline the seat until the plane reaches a certain altitude?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSchott
Yes and no. You're not being selfish as you have the right to recline you seat but you are being insensitive to the person sitting behind you.

Also, isn't it a rule that you can't recline the seat until the plane reaches a certain altitude?
How would you suggest minimizing the insensitivity?

I guess as a 6'5" human being, I tend to recline to get the few necessary inches of space, as my femur is front to seat back almost..
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:51 am

I'm still amazed this is a debate. I don't even pay any mind to someone reclining. If the PAX in front of me reclines, good for him! If I'm behind him, I'll simply recline as well... and on it goes this reclining chain of ours.
IF (and I've been flying for over 30 years with no one saying anything) someone objects, I'd listen. If they had a bad knee, or other circumstance, and if I could manage to fly without reclining I would. But I don't know if I could go from, say, HNL to ORD without reclining. It's just too damn far.

What's next, a "NO RECLINING" zone? Economy Plus, Economy, and Economy Straight Up! (sorry, no reclining!)
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:35 am
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
I'm still amazed this is a debate. I don't even pay any mind to someone reclining. If the PAX in front of me reclines, good for him! If I'm behind him, I'll simply recline as well... and on it goes this reclining chain of ours.
IF (and I've been flying for over 30 years with no one saying anything) someone objects, I'd listen. If they had a bad knee, or other circumstance, and if I could manage to fly without reclining I would. But I don't know if I could go from, say, HNL to ORD without reclining. It's just too damn far.

What's next, a "NO RECLINING" zone? Economy Plus, Economy, and Economy Straight Up! (sorry, no reclining!)
+1

I'm full of this "no recline" ........! You've paid for the use of a seat during the flight; if the seat reclines, and as much recline as it has, it's yours for the use
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:42 am
Suspended

Yeah, I'm surprised its a debate as well..

and I agree that the proportional space doesn't change as the passenger behind the reclined seat can restore the recline decreased space, simply by reclining..

Of course, the last row of Y may or may not recline fully.. but back of the bus means closest to the lav and FAs..
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:15 pm

Thumbs up

Yeah, I'm surprised its a debate as well..

and I agree that the proportional space doesn't change as the passenger behind the reclined seat can restore the recline decreased space, simply by reclining..

Of course, the last row of Y may or may not recline fully.. but back of the bus means closest to the lav and FAs..
I'm only 6'1" which to you is short. But I think it's rather "Average" for a PAX. And my weight at about 190 lb is probably average as well. I have no issue with reclining. So go ahead and pop that seat back! And if you see a buxom blonde behind you... PRAY that your seat back stop mechanism is on the fritz!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.