FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Recline Debate: Plane Returns After Fist Fight!
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:30 pm
Rebelyell

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by tenacioustins
Umm it's not his fault he's 6'8". The airlines are dumb to make jets that don't fit REAL people! Economy plus is x amount of dollars more, and "normal" people just don't have that but still want to go visit family or go on business. It's not his fault. I would understand if I was the person in front. With that said, if I was 6'8" I'd probably try to get exit row seats.
No, it's not his fault that he is 6-8. But the fact is that he has needs that short people don't have and he needs to spend more to meet those needs.

Studies show that tall people, on average, make substantially more money than short or average people. When flying, these tall people can use some of these extra bucks to pay for the space they need instead of trying to bully other passengers.

Oh, and you say the airlines ought to make planes for "real" people. Only a very small percentage of the population is 6-2 or taller. It's far more economical to build planes for average people and let those who don't fit pay more, rather than have fewer seats and force everyone to pay more.