Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Seat switch request: What would you have done?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat switch request: What would you have done?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2011, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
Do you want the responsibility of taking care of small children in an emergency? Getting their O2 masks on, helping them evacuate a broken aircraft, etc.?
Since you asked me - simple answer, yes.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Since you asked me - simple answer, yes.
Good for you. I expect your view is not universally shared around here.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 1:23 am

Not sure. I choose only window seats, but if someone asked me to switch to an aisle seat, it would take *a lot* to get me to move.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 1:24 am

I can`t say for sure what I would have done in this situation. I do not like being trapped at a window seat (especially in economy) and tend to specifically select aisle seats for this reason, even if C or F.

However it is possible that I would sympathize with the family and make the switch, if I felt that the request was legitimate.

In most cases I will only switch if I will end up with a seat that I find to be equal to or better than my assigned seat. I have no problem denying a request to move if I do not like the seat in question.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 5:48 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Airlines have policies (and associated fees) for unaccompanied minors, so it is not a problem for them to have children pax with no guardians on-board. So having parents a few rows away is not a problem for the airlines per se.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 7:34 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by AlanInDC
Airlines have policies (and associated fees) for unaccompanied minors, so it is not a problem for them to have children pax with no guardians on-board. So having parents a few rows away is not a problem for the airlines per se.
Yes - but when the airlines have unaccompanied minors travelling - the kids are usually seated close to the galley area where the crew can keep a close eye on them - and in the case of some airlines - they even have flying "nannies" if there are a lot of UMs on a particular flight.

In this situation..... if it had been been me, particularly with the recent paedophilia court case about a single male passenger seated next to a young girl... I would have swapped with the mother, especially as it wasn't a particularly long flight.

As your friend chose to keep his aisle seat - he has to put up with the middle and window seat passengers wanting to get in and out of their seats.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Peterpack
I would told an FA that the mother could have my seat if i could go into business class

It was the airline's responsbility to seat families together. It's not other passengers responsibility. Families dont pay more than the rest of us so don't get more rights

I hate being guilted into things
I would try this as well, but for the whole family.

But seriously, IMPO I would switch so long as its not to an inferior class of seats or to a part of an airplane where there is a couple of empty seats or a whole row empty seats if they are no empty seats in class equivalent.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Originally Posted by trooper
In these days of equality I am fascinated by the continued playing of the "if you were a gentleman" card...
I pity the boy scout, having to "do a good turn daily".
Originally Posted by Peterpack
It was the airline's responsbility to seat families together. It's not other passengers responsibility.
Sometimes the airline can't win. Sometimes the passenger can't win. Sometimes this takes the form of not getting an upgrade because the last seats together were the economy plus seats and handed out to a family.

Last edited by AllanJ; Mar 7, 2011 at 9:13 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.