Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Seat switch request: What would you have done?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat switch request: What would you have done?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2011, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Only a 3 hour flight, and to me, Window/Aisle, I like either one. I would have moved, however, it is your friends right to stay if he wants to. As long as the seat request is somewhat comparable, I will move for most people. Good deeds usually get returned sometime later in life. If some one is wanting me to trade my Aisle or Window on a long haul 8-14 hours for a middle seat though, It would take the Captain of the plane to pry me out of my assigned seat.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:14 pm

I would have changed, although I can understand why someone wouldn't want to.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I saw that it was a mother who clearly didn't speak much English, I would probably have switched.

If it were a mother who spoke English, I'd probably have asked if she wanted to switch.

If the mother approached me and announced imperiously that I had to switch so she could sit with her offspring, I would have told her to take a hike. Your reproductive choices are not my concern.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 10:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Only polite to make the switch.. maybe there was a bit of a language barrier and your friend would have switched if he fully understood the full extent of the situation.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 12:34 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
[QUOTE=trooper;15976852A topic that currently fascinates me... because I personally do the whole door opening/helping with bags/holding umbrellas/helping with strollers etc thing routinely (and for anyone seemingly needing a hand.. not just the ladies).... and yet object to assumptions that such conduct "must" be forthcoming!

In other words I do it because I want to... not because I have been "expected" to... there IS a difference...[/QUOTE]

+1^
My thoughts exactly.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by trooper
In these days of equality I am fascinated by the continued playing of the "if you were a gentleman" card....

So.. just curious... a gentleman should switch aisle for window... right?

How about aisle to middle?

Exit row for non-exit row?

How about J to Y?

If you answer NO to one or more of the above then just where is the line beyond which the demand is unreasonable and "gentlemanliness" does not require acceding to it?

A topic that currently fascinates me... because I personally do the whole door opening/helping with bags/holding umbrellas/helping with strollers etc thing routinely (and for anyone seemingly needing a hand.. not just the ladies).... and yet object to assumptions that such conduct "must" be forthcoming!

In other words I do it because I want to... not because I have been "expected" to... there IS a difference...
Completely agree with your final statement. The second somebody expects me to do something nice for them I lose all interest in doing that thing for them.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 3:37 am

I would told an FA that the mother could have my seat if i could go into business class

It was the airline's responsbility to seat families together. It's not other passengers responsibility. Families dont pay more than the rest of us so don't get more rights

I hate being guilted into things
Old Mar 5, 2011, 7:53 am

I would told an FA that the mother could have my seat if i could go into business class

It was the airline's responsbility to seat families together. It's not other passengers responsibility. Families dont pay more than the rest of us so don't get more rights

I hate being guilted into things
I agree with the above. It's entirely appropriate to expect the airline, in the person of the GA or FA, to sort out seating problems.

Someone mentioned that they got no help with this from an FA. In that case, the FAs weren't doing their job. I can see how that might be a problem for the passenger wanting help changing seats, but I don't see why it should therefore become my problem.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 8:13 am

Kids are 6 and 8. They can sit a few rows apart from mom and it's not the end of the world.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by donlind
A friend who is an infrequent flyer recently traveled from Florida to Colorado for a weekend get-together. The plane was a 757 with three-seat rows in economy. He reserved an aisle seat.

When he took his seat, he noted that two little girls of Asian descent, perhaps 6 and 8, occupied the middle and window seats in his row. Sometime before takeoff, the older girl asked my friend if he would mind switching seats with their mother, who was seated a couple of rows back in a window seat on the other side of the plane.

He turned to the mother and said he'd agree to a switch only if she could engineer a three-way swap that would give him another aisle seat. He did not want to give up sitting on the aisle. There was no response.

Midway through the flight, he discerned that the mother did not have a firm grasp of English and probably had not understood his three-way swap offer. And although he was slightly irritated by the girls' frequent trips to the lavatory, he stayed in his aisle seat for the duration of the 3+-hour journey.

When asked, I told him I would have changed seats with the mother to unite her with her little children, and said I found his behavior to be insensitive at best.

How would other FTers have handled this situation?

Personally I would have switched. Letting a parent sit next to a pre-teenage child, is a good reason for me to switch; especially on a relatively short flight.

In my opinion your friend should not be irritated by the kid's trips to the bathroom. That is exactly what he gets by selecting and isle seat, regardless of whether it is two kids or adults who have frequent needs to go.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
For a 3 hour flight, and considering other details, I would have switched.

However, for a true long haul to Europe or Asia, I would gladly switch if offered a broadly equivalent seat ("front" "aisle" and "not too close to lavs" for me), but not otherwise.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I prefer window seats, so I would have switched from aisle to window, unless it was one of those window seats that doesn't have a window. If the switch was to a middle or a less preferable aisle, I would not. If the girls needed the lavatory a lot well, that's life -- if pax, regardless of age, have to go, they have to go and the passenger in the aisle seat needs to let them by. That's one of the reasons I prefer a window seat.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
At 6 and 8 children don't need to hold their mother's hand all the time - in fact they will be used to being away from their mother as they will be at school... They had each other for company, and their mother wasn't far away.
Do you want the responsibility of taking care of small children in an emergency? Getting their O2 masks on, helping them evacuate a broken aircraft, etc.? (Of course there may be a certain kind of passenger that would proudly leave a stranger's kids to fry in their seats, muttering about how other peoples' reproductive choices aren't going to slow them down... )

Originally Posted by trooper
So.. just curious... a gentleman should switch aisle for window... right?
When small children are involved, and when the request is polite, yes.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I would have switched just because it's the polite thing to do. For a three hour flight, I can sit next to a window, and little kids like to sit with their mom.

I actually did switch when asked, some years ago. Grandma and Grandpa had been murdered, and their son, daughter-in-law and pre-teen granddaughter was going to deal with the issue. All three had last-minute tickets and were all in middle seats.

The granddaughter was in tears. Mom asked, in general, not specifically to me, if anyone would switch so the kid could sit next to her mom. I volunteered, switching an aisle seat for a middle seat. It was just the right thing to do. So what if I spend a few hours in a middle seat? I'll survive, and the family will remember the kindness of a stranger.

Having said that... if I were a man I would absolutely have swapped with the mom in the OP. I would not have wanted to be in any kind of a situation where I might be suspected of any inappropriate touching or language with two little girls. If I were a man in that situation, I might have even talked to a FA to get some other seat, proactively looking out for my own best interests.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Because I travel with my two kids, i'd do it too

but I'm curious where do you guys come up with these rules that kids this age can't sit together?

my kids sat alone or away from me in the past at ages younger than 6 & 8; at least on AA thats not a policy that I've ever heard of

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.