Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by PTravel
Different strokes, I guess. We spent 2-1/2 days at the Canyon and loved every minute of it. Here's a short video I did of sunrise at the Canyon:

http://travelersvideo.com/grandcanyon.wmv
Great pictures and nice video. I know that some will hike down (I did that in college the first time I went) and some stay for a few days. I think it may have been more enjoyable if we planned to stay at least overnight. Instead, we were going for a few hours but ended up leaving less than an hour after we went.

BTW, I just remember that I was told that the most expensive McDonald's in the world was there (this was back in the late 90s though).
Old Feb 14, 2011, 4:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, QFF WP, Velocity Gold
Wow... tough crowd!!

In responses to:

Japan - Damn... I'm sure if anyone said this country was boring they'd have only visited Tokyo, and maybe only stayed in their hotel? Soooo much interesting stuff to do it's not funny.

Stonehenge - I also visited Stonehenge on a cloudy rainy day and it was great. Should go to where you guys recommend next time.

Sistine Chapel - I have no connection whatever to religion or art but whoa the art here was amazing! Definitely worth the time to get inside and take a look. Masters of art.

My biggest let down in the last year or so - Times Square. ... Seriously? Yes, my partner and I may be clean freaks or whatever. But, this place was like, what? I think the photos that people take are just too good, because we stepped in and then out. Trash everywhere, people trying to hoard your everywhere, poor displays of lights etc. etc. I'm sure many will probably disagree with me
Old Feb 14, 2011, 4:30 pm

The Mona Lisa. Without a doubt the most overrated piece of art in the world.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 4:38 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Petronus Towers, Kuala Lumpur - Build (what was then) the world tallest building, market it heavilly and then only let people go about a 1/3 of the way up and make it a PITA to do so - don't waste your time go to the Menara Tower instead.

Raffles Hotel, Sinagpore - very Disneyfied, horrendously expensive - the E+O in Penang is much better

Bourbon St, New Orleans - full of drunks on the lash

Hollywood!
Old Feb 14, 2011, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I agree about Singapore being a huge disappointment. Sterile feeling, and much too westernized in a bad way. I was expecting another Hong Kong.

Times Square is becoming increasingly disappointing to me. Aside from the Broadway shows as have been mentioned, it's turned into something much too corporate. I was there a few months ago and wanted something to eat. I saw the likes out TGIF's, Outback Steakhouse, and all sorts of other low-end chain restaurants, and had to struggle to find what may have been the last pizza-by-the-slice holes in the wall left in Times Square. It used to be there were a couple on every block.

Oh, and despite Hong Kong being one of my favorite cities, the nightly "Festival of Lights" is TOTALLY overrated. What a steaming heap that thing is.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 5:03 pm

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
Originally Posted by uszkanni
The Mona Lisa. Without a doubt the most overrated piece of art in the world.
Ditto
Old Feb 14, 2011, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Travelomania
Did anyone mention Dollywood yet ?
If you'd expand that to be "all of Branson", I would completely agree. Total waste of money, excessively crowded, and a different class of tourist than I usually hang out with.

Originally Posted by peachy3
My biggest let down in the last year or so - Times Square. ... Seriously? Yes, my partner and I may be clean freaks or whatever. But, this place was like, what? I think the photos that people take are just too good, because we stepped in and then out. Trash everywhere, people trying to hoard your everywhere, poor displays of lights etc. etc. I'm sure many will probably disagree with me
ANd it's cleaned up from the "Peep World" days (complete with a strobe-light eyeball). I'm talking late '70's to mid-'80s before Disney came to town....
Old Feb 14, 2011, 5:31 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by travellingblade
I was having a debate with a few well travelled friends a couple of days ago about which tourist sites we had visited had turned out to be the biggest disappointment.
So what others do people have to add?
For me, it was the painting of the Mona Lisa in the Louvre, Paris.

It's so small! And it looks quite insignificant. Definitely underwhelming and disappointing.

I know it's importance to Art History, but my overwhelming reaction was: "Is that it? What's all the fuss about?"
Old Feb 14, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Easy now. We don't take kindly to Alamo insults. Keep in mind the building is not the point. What happened there is.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrMaturin
How can anyone not be blown away by the Sistine Chapel or St. Peters?
Aussie Rules Football (watching or playing) and consumption of large quantities of Kiwi mutton weakens the higher functioning areas of the human brain.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 6:45 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, million miler
Agree with the Mona Lisa comments. You turn the corner and whammo, there's the small picture of her with the throngs of people.

Everyone should drive across the State of South Dakota. What a hoot!!!
Old Feb 14, 2011, 6:46 pm

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Aussie Rules Football (watching or playing) and consumption of large quantities of Kiwi mutton weakens the higher functioning areas of the human brain.
Well....I'd hardly call Aussie Rules a tourist attraction but if we are going to insult each others football codes at least Aussie Rules isn't is make one play, stop while you change the entire team, and then make another play.

And nobody here eats Kiwi mutton. We have enough sheep of our own and everybody prefers lamb for some reason anyway.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 6:48 pm

Programs: AC*E, HH*G
Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge in N. Ireland. Get to pay your money, walk a bit along some not that spectacular sea cliffs, queue up for gawd knows how long it happens to be that day, then be ushered accross an industrial cable bridge to an "island". You are disallowed from going going more than 3M past the end of the bridge, cannot linger, and are quickly ushered back.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, WOH
Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
Hawaii
Which island was so underwhelming?
Oahu?
Maui?
Old Feb 14, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FLYERIL
Which island was so underwhelming?
Oahu?
Maui?
I'm going to Maui in a few weeks. I'll report back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.