Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2011, 7:12 pm
In memoriam

Singapore in particular--exceedingly boring--and, in Singapore, the "Fountain of Wealth" which is really remarkably uninteresting and unattractive.

Come on Singapore, you can do better! At least improve the Singapore Slings at Raffles!
Old Feb 14, 2011, 7:23 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
If you don't like Mount Rushmore (actually I rather enjoyed it, but I was there for a band concert (AF band)), check out Crazy Horse Monument a few miles away. Definitely worth the visit and for a good cause, too.

About Hawai'i: I'm a Big Island fan -- volcano junkie and love the down-home feel to it all. I get enough city crap on my business travel.

Most overrated tourist attraction: probably Stonehenge the second time. First time I went was in the mid-80s and it was not this overbuilt thing.

Agree that Salisbury Cathedral is amazingly and heartbreakingly beautiful. We were there for Vespers one day... sublime.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spaceflyer
I'm a Big Island fan -- volcano junkie and love the down-home feel to it all. ...
+1 (but I didn't feel "down-home" crossing the island on the Saddle Road.)
Old Feb 14, 2011, 8:14 pm

My vote goes to the self-proclaimed "world-famous" Santa Monica Pier: Nasty water below, overpriced crap food and unemployed losers spray-painted like statues and robots looking for handouts.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 8:22 pm

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
The so-called "Little Italy" tourist traps of Lygon Street in Melbourne and Leichardt Street in Sydney. Cheap and nasty pizza and pasta joints. Not a decent Italian restaurant within miles of either.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Travelomania
Did anyone mention Dollywood yet ?
What, the highlight of Pigeon Forge?
Old Feb 14, 2011, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steve M
Times Square is becoming increasingly disappointing to me. Aside from the Broadway shows as have been mentioned, it's turned into something much too corporate.
Oh, I quite agree. However, I don't think of it as a tourist attraction, per se, but as a place to pass through on the way to the theater. The Times Square that I considered fascinating was the one of the 60s and 70s -- it lent a whole new meaning to the word, "adventure."

I was there a few months ago and wanted something to eat. I saw the likes out TGIF's, Outback Steakhouse, and all sorts of other low-end chain restaurants, and had to struggle to find what may have been the last pizza-by-the-slice holes in the wall left in Times Square. It used to be there were a couple on every block.
The good restaurants, like the theaters, are on the side streets, but not on Broadway or 7th in the Times Square area. Times Square is also the home of the main TKTS branch and, unless things have changed recently, Colony Music, at which you can get CDs or sheet music of almost anything.

And a word about the Mona Lisa. The problem with the Mona Lisa is not the painting, which remains a major masterpiece, but the way it is curated. Because of the crowds, it is placed high AND behind glass, which makes it nearly impossible to appreciate it. I avoid any museum that places the art behind glass (LACMA has done that for a couple of special exhibitions). Fortunately, most everything else at the Louvre is displayed as it should be.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 9:19 pm

deleted

Last edited by littlesheep; Jan 17, 2012 at 10:03 pm
Old Feb 14, 2011, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dogcanyon
My vote goes to the self-proclaimed "world-famous" Santa Monica Pier: Nasty water below, overpriced crap food and unemployed losers spray-painted like statues and robots looking for handouts.
Don't forget all the homeless people with their shopping carts, also...

Originally Posted by littlesheep
New Yawk City. Except for three things: food, especially when enjoying it with friends, the Museum Mile and going out somewhere nice with good music. Other than that, can't imagine wanting to be there.

The Grand Canyon - taking the bus on the tourist trap side - no different than being stuck in a traffic jam in a big city. I will never set foot there again. I like to enjoy my nature in peace and quiet, thank you.
New York Museums: somepeople would argue that Museums are super-boring. I personally like them, but many people I know hate museums and think that they are beyond boring.

Grand Canyon: great place to see. Once.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by littlesheep
Yosemite. Crowded even in the off-off-off season, stressful.
Just gotta go to the off-off-off-the-beaten-path parts of the park. I spent a week hiking there last summer and passed maybe 3-4 other hikers per day.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 9:36 pm
PBQ

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold
South of the Border in the Carolinas.

Padro says every ten miles from Richmond, VA, it's a "must stop" on the way to Florida.

It was a bit of a let-down when my dad stopped there on our family trip in 1990.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 9:44 pm

deleted

Last edited by littlesheep; Jan 17, 2012 at 10:02 pm
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by LAChargers
My votes would be for Tokyo Tower and Ginza in Japan. Tokyo Tower you go to, spend money to go up top for a decent view but not much else. Ginza is an upscale shopping area but unless you plan on shopping for high-end merchandise (which you can find many places in Japan), there's not much else to do. With the strong yen, everything is so much more expensive there also.
If you're on a travel board and people who haven't done their homework are asking about Japan, they ALWAYS mention Mount Fuji and the Ginza. I guess those are the two things they've heard of.

I also enjoy Hawaii, especially off Oahu. Just experiencing the variety of climates on an island like Kauai (25" of rainfall per year on the southern coast, over 300" of rainfall a year just a few miles inland) and seeing the variety of cultures is fun. You have to get away from Waikiki, though. The Bishop Museum in Honolulu is a must for anyone interested in the natural history or anthropology of the Pacific.

As a resident of Minneapolis, I am puzzled by the fame of the Mall of America. It's just a big mall, and not a very attractive one. The idea that people travel from all over the world just to spend three days shopping astonishes me. What's the attraction, unless you don't have major retail chains and "family restaurants" and Hollywood blockbuster movie theaters at home?

Last edited by ksandness; Feb 14, 2011 at 10:05 pm
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:12 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Papik Tatik in Stepanakert. This is supposed to be the symbol of Nagorno-Karabakh Republic – it is on their visas, their government issued documents, in their guidebooks. It looks as though it is in some remote, windswept field.

Then you get there and it’s right next to a housing estate, a short walk off the main road, and very much smaller than you'd think.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:15 pm

Programs: Platinum
Frankenmuth, Michigan. What's with the fried chicken?

Hawaii has some great places to eat. They are not in the tourist spots however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.