Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Most frustrating rental car facility? DFW? IAH? PHX?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most frustrating rental car facility? DFW? IAH? PHX?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2010, 4:45 pm

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
MIA would have to be the worst for me, got lost at some docks for like 30 minutes once. It was a nightmare trying to catch my flight.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 4:48 pm
Suspended

SJC and all of the construction is the worst for me. PDX is the best
Old Jun 3, 2010, 4:57 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mike_asia
SJC and all of the construction is the worst for me. PDX is the best
You obviously do not use National at PDX. The shuttle goes past at least 6 hotels, IKEA, Target, Home Depot, a dozen restaurants and the remote parking lot before it turns onto the street to the dark and poorly marked lot that is 2-3 blocks from Airport Way.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
You obviously do not use National at PDX. The shuttle goes past at least 6 hotels, IKEA, Target, Home Depot, a dozen restaurants and the remote parking lot before it turns onto the street to the dark and poorly marked lot that is 2-3 blocks from Airport Way.
i use Hertz at PDX, just walk across the street. No shuttle or anything
Old Jun 3, 2010, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Add ABQ to the list... Another BWI...

I prefer a train to a bus...
Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:16 pm

PHX...it just boggles my mind. Its so...far..away and despite having lived there, having worked there, and being there about 1x a month for a year, I STILL seem to get lost everytime...Maybe I'm just stupid (actually strike the maybe) but I get angry just thinking about it
Old Jun 3, 2010, 9:08 pm
Suspended

DTW, cheap but far
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:02 pm

Why I fly WN when I go to Texas

IAH and DFW are a toss-up. Or should I say, throw up?

It's a much quicker ride to the facility at IAH, but it was clearly designed by someone who never had baggage. You enter on a mezzanine level, and must take the escalator (or a usually crowded elevator) to get to the cars. Ditto on the return.

At DFW, if you want to return the car filled with gas, you have exactly one choice: that none-too-cheap Shell station.

Rentals HOU and DAL are far, far easier to handle, and worth the extra stop on MDW-DAL flights forced by the Wright Amendment.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I think it's a legitimate question whether the consolidated facilities are really helping travelers much, on balance. Seems more like something that was done TO travelers than FOR them.

While having a hodgepodge of lots and too many courtesy buses is a less-than-ideal situation, with the consolidated facilities you typically get $4-6 A DAY surcharges ON TOP OF 10-12% "concession recoupment fees" and the usual pile of local taxes that can be 18-25%. The total of all that can add 100% to some of the weekend rates.

If you rented a car in ATL about 15 years ago you'd get only about 8% taxes added, but now with the consolidated facility and other new taxes it's in line with expensive cities like SEA. The ATL facility is huge, but at least there's a train link and a new road and bridge (albeit with signage improvements still needed). Compare that to a place like LAS where you still get to ride a bus to a remote location like you did before.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Of all the airports I have rented cars at, PHX is definitely the worst. What were they thinking?

I love the smaller airports, like GSO and JAX where you can walk to your car. No shuttle is always good.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
From a logistics standpoint, IAH seems fine to me. The shuttle buses to and from the airport terminal run frequently. The buses are even segregated by terminal. Because the facility is a multi-level facility, it is usually a fairly short escalator ride and walk to and from the rental car. The road signage has never confused me. I understand the complaint about the circle of flight monitors, but the precise destination terminal should only be an issue for CO customers, and taking the bus to Terminal C is always an answer if you don't know the precise gate and terminal and don't want to circle to find out.

Now, what does does drive me bonkers about renting a car at IAH is the astronomical fees and taxes.
I was confused the first time by the sinage at IAH. There is a sign, with an arrow pointing left that indicates the facility, but the first left goes somewhere else!

You are right about the taxes and fees at IAH...it's one of those sports authority taxes that many cities have (PHX is considering this now), but this one is much higher than average, along with higher facilities fees. The last car I rented there had over 100 dollars in added fees, most of them external to the actual rental company.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Another big for PHX.

Not only is the bus ride interminable (so much nicer when the cars were in the attached garage), but it is nearly impossible to find a convenient gas station on the way back in to drop off the car. You drive by all these empty lots on the way in from the freeway, and you think a resourceful gas station operator could make a killing in that location.

I'd give up on renting there altogether, except that the Phoenix area is the worst place in the free world to be without a car.

And a huge thumbs up for Jax.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:10 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Add ABQ to the list... Another BWI...

I prefer a train to a bus...
What wrong with ABQ? I am renting there next month.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:16 pm

My problem with BWI is that the shuttles can't go unless they are full. I've started taking the light rail downtown instead of renting a car.

On return the shuttle would wait until it was at least 90% full. Nevermind the fact that the shuttle had been there for 15 minutes and there were 7 empty shuttles behind it. Then on drop off it picks up and drops off from the same spot to from that 90% full bus 2 people would get off at the WN terminal and 15 people would try to get on. Then a bus came right behind but the guy wouldn't move on and let the bus behind him take the rest of the people. I should have timed the shuttle, but it seemed like from dropping off my car to getting off the shuttle was at least 40 minutes.

FLL was bad when I used it because there was no signage for buses so I ended up walking to the rental counter. Maybe they have remedied that.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by pinworm
You are right about the taxes and fees at IAH...it's one of those sports authority taxes that many cities have (PHX is considering this now), but this one is much higher than average, along with higher facilities fees. The last car I rented there had over 100 dollars in added fees, most of them external to the actual rental company.
Houston had a "perfect storm" in that it built two new stadia for football and baseball and a new basletball arena, all in a relatively short period of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.