Wiki Posts
Search

A thought on checked bag fees

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2010, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by bniu
With checked bag fees inducing people to push the limits of carry on, here's an idea, how about making the first bag free again but only up to say 25-30 pounds and anything past that up to 50 lbs the normal first bag fee ($25 or so). 2nd bag still gets charged its normal fee up to 50 lbs?

I figure with the low weight limit, it'd encourage pax to pack really light weight wise and let them check the bag instead of cramming it into an overhead bin. I can't imagine a week's worth of clothes plus a pair of shoes and the bag weighing more than 20 lbs.

Of course elites and premium tickets are still exempt from these bag fees. These days, I just can't see how I can even carry much stuff with me anymore. All I need is my iPhone, iPad, and maybe my MacBook and IM all set. guidebook? Got it on the iPhone. Gps? Got it on iPhone. Books? Got it on iPad. Movies, games? Got it on iPad.

With ipads out, I think airlines should buy some, sync media onto them and rent them out to pax who don't bring their own entertainment...
The general problem I have with your approach is that you assume that approach will work for everyone.

I don't carry a bundle of electronics, and I'm not likely to in the foreseeable future. Backpacking and cycling holidays in remote areas don't lend themselves to your style of packing.

Some folks carry significant amounts of camera equipment, medical devices, necessary business gear...Depending on destination, multiple sets of footwear (heavy) may be necessary. This specialized, weight- and space-consuming gear often can't be replaced at the traveller's destination. Sometimes time (or health) is critical. If a traveller is joining a tour or has an extensive itinerary, it may not be feasible for the airline to deliver delayed luggage.

Valuables? that varies from person to person. Someone's CPAP or someone else's well-worn hiking boots may be too valuable to trust to the luggage hold.

I don't assume because I don't need/want to travel with electronics that everyone should be forced or encouraged to check them to speed my time through TSA and to minimize the amound of carry-ons (plenty of laptops and other electronic gear get stowed in the overheads!). Just because I don't need suits or special business clothing at my destinations, I don't assume everyone else should check their garment bags.

And you seem to assume no one ever travels with gifts or souvenirs that itchy fingers will find tempting (and that the airlines tell us not to check)!

Note: on the majority of my travels, I'm travelling as an elite, so the fees and limits have never affected me. It's the theft and baggage delays that cause me to carry-on what I do. Generally on my international itineraries, I carry-on much more on my outbound than my return. I carry specialized gear that I can't easily (if at all) replace at my destination, particularly since I'm generally on itineraries that would make it impossible for the airlines do deliver my luggage later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.