The emptiest flight you've ever been on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The emptiest flight you've ever been on

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
LX GVA-MAN when they tried it. My friend and I and another 2 passengers!
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Pulley
Shortly after 9/11 my son & I flew DCA-ATL on a 747 (last minut substitution). There 1 passenger in the nose section business, no one in the second section and only 8 of us in the economy section!
Are you sure? DCA has a very short runway and a difficult approach, and to the best of my knowledge is not capable of handling 747s. (They might be able to take off/land with very light loads, but it would definitely not be a routine occurrence.)
Old Sep 6, 2012, 4:17 am

Programs: NEXUS, Hilton - Gold, Fairmont - Plat, AA - Plat MM, DL - Gold, UA - Silver
Originally Posted by dabears1020
I took a flight from YYC-LAX last month that was probably only about 5-10% full. It was the last flight of the night so I assume that Air Canada didn't want to cancel it just so they didn't strand the handful of us at the airport. It was rather odd being in a nearly empty aircraft for the duration of the entire flight. No one else was seated within 6 or 7 rows of us.

It got me thinking, what's the emptiest flight you've ever been on? It seems like lately it's become the standard to just cancel severely underbooked flights and reshuffle the passengers to other flights, so empty flights like this are becoming a rarity. Does anyone have any unique experiences regarding flights like this?
I was on an Alaska Airlines flight from SEA to ANC late in the evening. 26 passengers - but the flight was a cargo flight. It was weird being told that we, the passengers, were ballast, and that we needed to sit in our assigned seats for take off and landing.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 4:21 am

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by BenA
Are you sure? DCA has a very short runway and a difficult approach, and to the best of my knowledge is not capable of handling 747s. (They might be able to take off/land with very light loads, but it would definitely not be a routine occurrence.)
I've never seen or heard of a 747 using DCA. I don't think it's possible.

I was the sole pax on a Piedmont Airlines 737 once upon a time.
The FA's couldn't believe I didn't want a coffee or something!
Old Sep 6, 2012, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by rankourabu

I took a similar picture when I was the only person on a USAir 737 (posted earlier in this thread). I didn't keep the picture as a later realized it didn't actually show anything other than an empty 737 interior, of which there are many photos - no way to show I was actually in the air
Old Sep 7, 2012, 9:22 am

June this year, LHR-EWR on United, Y was about 50% full, only time I've ever had more than 1 seat to myself.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
This past summer I flew on two traditionally business-heavy flights and was SHOCKED at the loads...

First was an Air Canada Express flight from Calgary, a 50 seat Dash 8 300. I was in the washroom when boarding was called. Came out, nobody was in line. I assumed everyone had quickly run up, so I headed down the express terminal, got to the door for my flight, and went out to the plane. I was surprised to see the skycheck buggy had no bags on it....got on the plane to find an FA sitting in a seat drinking coffee, and no pax. I was honestly worried....was this the right plane? Eventually, 10 of us boarded. It was nice, as load factors are usually so high. Nobody sat in rows 4-9. The FA came around for drinks, only one person (I) asked for one! She then sat down and read "50 shades of grey" the rest of the flight!

Another was a few weeks later on YVR-YEG flight. It was an E90. I was upgraded, so quite happy. The earlier flight was delayed, and after being told it was full, I boarded my flight. Well, I ended up being the only one in J. I'm used to domestic business cabins being full full full, gate lice all nagging the agents for upgrades, etc. I was told by the FA that all the other pax moved onto the earlier flight. The LF in Y was pretty good, it was just so strange to have J empty!
Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:33 pm

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
Originally Posted by BenA
Ben it may have been IAD and not DCA (where we normally fly into and it is possible it was a 777) I do know the number of passengers was correct. It was due to some fallout after 9/11.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: *G, CO Plat, UA 1P, Etihad Gold, Marriott Prem Plat, Avis Pres
Originally Posted by nave888
This past summer I flew on two traditionally business-heavy flights and was SHOCKED at the loads...

First was an Air Canada Express flight from Calgary, a 50 seat Dash 8 300. I was in the washroom when boarding was called. Came out, nobody was in line. I assumed everyone had quickly run up, so I headed down the express terminal, got to the door for my flight, and went out to the plane. I was surprised to see the skycheck buggy had no bags on it....got on the plane to find an FA sitting in a seat drinking coffee, and no pax. I was honestly worried....was this the right plane? Eventually, 10 of us boarded. It was nice, as load factors are usually so high. Nobody sat in rows 4-9. The FA came around for drinks, only one person (I) asked for one! She then sat down and read "50 shades of grey" the rest of the flight!

Another was a few weeks later on YVR-YEG flight. It was an E90. I was upgraded, so quite happy. The earlier flight was delayed, and after being told it was full, I boarded my flight. Well, I ended up being the only one in J. I'm used to domestic business cabins being full full full, gate lice all nagging the agents for upgrades, etc. I was told by the FA that all the other pax moved onto the earlier flight. The LF in Y was pretty good, it was just so strange to have J empty!
a little of the subject but related to your post regarding AC. I can't bring my self to switch over to Aeropoan because I find the complimentary upragedes on UA metal flights so much more generous (and I still fly to the states quite a bit). I'm not sure how they do it but AC does not hand out upgrades like UA does. I've been on many AC flights where F was nearly empty. once in coach I was across the aisle from a million miler. The FA brought him a nice note from the pilot but there were empty seats and he was sitting with me! I guess they make you really earn it for an upgrade on AC.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
EWR to XNA

I was on a flight home with a total of three of us on the plane. The flight attendant sat in the empty seat next to me for over an hour of the flight.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 510k miles, DL 600,000 lifetime
1983 Bos-Newark on Delta. L1011 with two passengers. I was upgraded to first, they let the other passenger sit up in first too.

Weird.

tim in san jose
Old Oct 31, 2012, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Most empty plane?

I'm sitting at PDX and they just announced a flight to Reno that only has 16 people out of 137. In all my years of flying that has got to be the least number of passengers (percentage wise).
Old Oct 31, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
How about a load of 6 on HOU-AUS?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
We had a flight of 5 from mke to bwi on the first or second swa flt.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I had a DL flight with 5, FA's included, on a DC-9 in the 80's.

CVG-SDF, at least I think it was CVG then.

It was the last leg of the worst rerouting nightmare ever.

Scheduled PWM-PIT-SDF, US

PWM-PIT cancelled

Rescheduled PWM to New York on CO, New York to SDF on DL.

Problem: Arrive EWR, depart LGA

Rebooked EWR-SDF with a stop CVG. Almost never got it done. Original ticket US, to EWR CO, to SDF DL, and I had checked a bag.

Miracle: Bag beat me to SDF somehow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.