Reload this Page >

The emptiest flight you've ever been on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The emptiest flight you've ever been on

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
About 7 passengers in a 767/757 (anyways had three aisles 2-3-2) Cuba to Calgary. The plane travelled low the whole time to save fuel.
Er travelling low would NOT save fuel.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: Kimpton IC, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Back in 2000 I was flying non-rev FLL-PIT and I was the only passenger. The 12pm flight was delayed until 10:30pm and all revenue passengers were re-booked earlier in the day. The flight attendants and I sat in 1st class and about an hour into the flight the Captain came back and asked me if I would like to check out the cockpit. He even let me sit in the captains's chair and test out the joystick on the A321. Pretty cool for a 13y/o kid.......i guess pretty cool for anyone lol.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 9:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by timfountain
Er travelling low would NOT save fuel.
Ok.. the pilot announced on my flight from Cuba to YYC that the flight was flying low and slow to save fuel..
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:20 am

Ok.. the pilot announced on my flight from Cuba to YYC that the flight was flying low and slow to save fuel..
There were probably other factors in play that the pilot didn't mention, such as a stronger tailwind at lower altitudes.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by acunningham
There were probably other factors in play that the pilot didn't mention, such as a stronger tailwind at lower altitudes.
That would make sense then.. The flight was pretty empty.. I thought there was not time constraint to get us back home, and thus the flying low and slow the entire way..
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
That would make sense then.. The flight was pretty empty.. I thought there was not time constraint to get us back home, and thus the flying low and slow the entire way..
Yeah, I flew on US Airways LAS-PHX and the flight is pretty empties. It was 20 passengers who flew out from LAS during early evening flight. I decide that I switch a different seat. I can sit in 6F that I can lookout the windows. That's why my FA told me it was not too busy during holidays season but, later within the week if the airport is not too busy or slow. It depends if airports is busy again.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 3:34 pm

Flying from Copenhagen to Birmingham, UK. My company paid extra to put me and a colleague in business class. We sat next to each other in our assigned seats (there was about 12 business class seats). The staff then closed the door and said that that plane was fully boarded and we could have our pick of the seats.

3 business class seats each to stretch out on SAS .. not a bad way to travel.. of course the next flight we were back in coach
Old Jan 31, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
DTW - CMH in the 70's & I was the only one on the plane (737, I think). Of course, no TSA!
Old Feb 1, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Diamond,Marriott Gold
Wouldn't it be awkward during the safety announcement being the only person on a flight. I would feel obligated to act interested
Old Feb 1, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: AAPLT, SK/G, A3/G
I also had a plane to myself once. I was in aisle on the 3 seat side of a 2-3 configuration, IIRC. I think it was on UA from ORD to IAD. If I had to guess it was a positioning flight.

This was in the early 90s. I was in my teens and I remember the FA just ignored me the whole trip.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
HKG - SHA

Dragonair, 8 people in Y, 4 in J. A330, very empty.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: AAPLT, SK/G, A3/G
Originally Posted by theflyingfox
AA 747 flight about 25 years ago, Nadi to Sydney, Australia. About eight of us in Coach...full Christmas dinner with choice of Ham, Turkey or Roast Beef and all the trimmings! After dinner, the FA parks the entire Beverage Cart next to me and says, "Merry Christmas, Mr. Fox!"

Now how could I not remain loyal to AA for all these years after that?
You win the thread^
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:29 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, US, FlyingBlue
Last fall I was one of six on a ERJ145 from Cleveland to JFK. The flight was 2 hours delayed and all the international connections had been rebooked
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat / HH Diamond
Easter Sunday a few years back, three people on the flight.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 8:06 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver
Emptiest flight?

I don't fly too often (compared to some of the people on this site). I have flown about 50 segments in the last 4 years and I experienced quite an empty flight on my most recent journey.

I was flying ROA-ATL on a CRJ200. It holds 50 people and including me, there was only 11 passengers on board.

We could have each had a row, and still have space left.

My questions:
1) Do airlines not lose money on flights this empty?
2) What's the lowest number of passengers you've flown with? I understand that plane size varies a lot. My flight was 22% full, can you go lower?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.