Reload this Page >

ExpertFlyer.com - Master Information and Updates Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
This thread is for ExpertFlyer Information and Updates only (as per its title) and many subscribe to it for this purpose. For other issues, please see the ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk thread.

If you have any questions about using ExpertFlyer or wish to report any issues, please email them at [email protected].
Print Wikipost

ExpertFlyer.com - Master Information and Updates Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2011, 7:03 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Thanks dstan for an excellent contribution and analysis.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 7:48 am

Why is it so?

If I do a Flight availability search (not an award seach) eg SYD-EZE 27/4 +/- 3 days with QF listed in the airline filter and the don't show interline connections box checked the result does not return U availability.
If I uncheck the interline connections box then U availability appears for the QF-operated flights SYD-EZE
If I add BA to the airline filter (even though no BA flights appear), the U availabilty for QF-operated flights is there but it also shows U availability for the QF-coded/LA-operated flight SYD-SCL.
Enquiring mind wants to know - although for no good reason

Same if I add BA to QF in the airline preference list for SYD-LAX it will show P and U availability

Last edited by 3544quebec; Feb 9, 2011 at 7:54 am
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:13 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
If I do a Flight availability search (not an award seach) eg SYD-EZE 27/4 +/- 3 days with QF listed in the airline filter and the don't show interline connections box checked the result does not return U availability.
If I uncheck the interline connections box then U availability appears for the QF-operated flights SYD-EZE
If I add BA to the airline filter (even though no BA flights appear), the U availabilty for QF-operated flights is there but it also shows U availability for the QF-coded/LA-operated flight SYD-SCL.
Enquiring mind wants to know - although for no good reason

Same if I add BA to QF in the airline preference list for SYD-LAX it will show P and U availability
ExpertFlyer picks from many different ways to access airline data depending on which airline(s) and options you choose in your search. For example, the Don't Show Interline option requires us to use a different GDS then we normally do as it's not supported by our primary one (same for the force 1/2 connections options).

As for QF, specifying just QF as the airline will tell the system to directly access the QF host, thereby allowing you to see flights a full 355 days into the future. If you specify no airline or more then one, then we use the GDS which is only 330/331 days out. As a side effect of this, talking directly to QF only shows classes where the availability is >0 whereas the GDS availability shows classes that are 0.

Making these choices on the back end automatically to get the best possible data for a given request is part of the magic of ExpertFlyer
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum (lifetime)
Originally Posted by dstan
If you are referring to the presence of numerous corporate lurkers on FlyerTalk, including ExpertFlyer Voice and KVS, then yes, that rule has generally been interpreted to exempt customer service presences on FlyerTalk (I apologize to my TravelBuzz moderator colleagues as I am speaking a bit out of turn here, but I am deeply familiar with the issues that dechil raises). What you may not know is that many of these companies began as grass-roots efforts inspired by FlyerTalk, Autoslash being the latest one. Randy Petersen's feeling was always that this was a positive thing, as it benefitted the FlyerTalk community as a whole, and that interpretation of the FT Rules continues today:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/only-...l#post14110669

If you would like further explanation, I would suggest that you contact the moderators of this forum or SanDiego1K, the FlyerTalk Community Director, with your concerns.
Thank you for your suggestion.
I was just asking for an information I needed and was surprised by the answers... (rules of FT, sounds like you don't want to pay etc...)
I am just a traveller, glad to help when I can.
I know now where I can't ask for helping.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 5:25 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
How can you look up published routings? For example YYC-PER via the Atlantic... Thanks!
Old Feb 10, 2011, 9:30 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlisi984
How can you look up published routings? For example YYC-PER via the Atlantic... Thanks!
If you are referring to flight availability/schedules, just do a Flight Availability search. If you are referring to the Routing Rules of YYC-PER fares, do a Fare Information search and click on the Routing Rules icon to the right of the fare you want to see the valid routing for.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 9:38 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
If you are referring to flight availability/schedules, just do a Flight Availability search. If you are referring to the Routing Rules of YYC-PER fares, do a Fare Information search and click on the Routing Rules icon to the right of the fare you want to see the valid routing for.
Nope, not schedules. Actually looking at specific routings (not fares) for YYC-PER via FRA, etc. (Atlantic, not Pacific). I assume from your post that the only way to do this is to look hard...
Old Feb 10, 2011, 9:39 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23
Original Poster

Qantas Award/Upgrade Availability 355 days out

We're pleased to announce that ExpertFlyer is now able to access Qantas Award/Upgrade availability for all 4 award classes up to the full 355 days in advance. However as a result of the way we have to access the QF host to get the extended information, a flight will only be returned by Qantas in the Award & Upgrade search if the searched class has availability greater then zero.

If you would like to ensure that all direct flights are listed for purposes of creating a Flight Alert, you can add a regular fare class, such as Y, as an "Other Fare Class" in the Award & Upgrade search. Alternatively, you may also perform a regular Flight Availability search as the 4 award classes will also show there when their values are greater then zero and QF is the only airline specified in the search.

If you have any questions about this, please email [email protected]
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by jlisi984
Nope, not schedules. Actually looking at specific routings (not fares) for YYC-PER via FRA, etc. (Atlantic, not Pacific). I assume from your post that the only way to do this is to look hard...
jlisi984, there's a tool a FTer has created that lists routes various airlines fly. You could use it as a rough guide as to how to get from YYC-PER by selecting your start city and end city and see what common points in Europe come up.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-released.html

Otherwise, yes, it's going to just be hard looking. The published routing depends on the published fare you're looking at, as ExpertFlyer Voice commented before. If you give us a better idea of what you're trying to look for, there are other tools that might help you better. For example, kayak.com offers a tool where you can select what layover airports you want.

Hope this helps!
Old Feb 11, 2011, 6:13 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
How to look up MPM? is it the YY fare?
how about the city pair without any published fare?

one example, PEK to YAP
or LXA to ROR?

i guess i do a lot of award ticket on going to remote location.
and so far, CO is really easy as they dont enforce routing restrictions.

How about something like SZX to DPS. it seems that the MPM is useless, and the published routing involves non-star carrier.

Thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 8:27 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbd456
How to look up MPM? is it the YY fare?
how about the city pair without any published fare?

one example, PEK to YAP
or LXA to ROR?

i guess i do a lot of award ticket on going to remote location.
and so far, CO is really easy as they dont enforce routing restrictions.

How about something like SZX to DPS. it seems that the MPM is useless, and the published routing involves non-star carrier.

Thanks.
MPM for fares that are MPM fares (as opposed to fares restricted by routing) are listed in the Routing Rules for a fare (from the Fare Information results). However if a city pair doesn't have a published airline or YY fare, then there is no published MPM.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Fare information

I noticed that to actually see -all- fares one need not to change 'today's date, otherwise the system will only show 'all' fares available for travel only AFTER a specified date (regardless of seasons and other restrictions).
Old Feb 18, 2011, 11:51 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Fare help

Using ExpertFlyer to look at fares between RDU and AMS for travel on 3/12 return on 3/15 I see a DL T fare (TLXSL91) that lists $393 round-trip followed by another T (TLWSL91) that lists $443 round-trip.
TLXSL91 DL T Round-Trip 393.00(USD) E 02/10/11
04/12/11
SU / 1M
TLWSL91 DL T Round-Trip 443.00(USD) E 02/10/11
04/12/11
SU / 1M

But when I go to ITA to price it out (flights have T available) I get the following:
Fare (A1): DL RDUAMS TLWSL91 fare (rules) , psgr type ADT $401.50
Fare (A2): DL AMSRDU TLXSL91 fare (rules) , psgr type ADT $396.15

It appears that ExpertFlyer is reading what should be a one-way as a round-trip.

After playing around a little more, if I un-check the validate fares box the fares seem to display correctly:

TLXSL91 DL T Round-Trip 753.00(USD) E 02/10/11
04/12/11
SU / 1M
TLXSL41 DL T Round-Trip 793.00(USD) E 01/14/11
04/12/11
SU / 1M 07
TLWSL91 DL T Round-Trip 803.00(USD) E 02/10/11
04/12/11
SU / 1M
Old Feb 18, 2011, 1:06 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
It appears that ExpertFlyer is reading what should be a one-way as a round-trip.
That is not the problem. If you notice, the difference between the two fares for TLXSL91 is $360. That is 2x the one-way fuel surcharge of $180 (as noted in the Surcharges section of the Fare Rules).

It looks like that the rules of when to apply the fuel surcharge are ambiguous enough that without knowing the specific flights, the GDS doesn't know if the surcharge is applicable or not, so it doesn't get applied unless validation is turned off. ITA shows the amounts with the fuel surcharge because you're pricing out a specific itinerary with specific flights. It's a tariff display vs a fare quote for specific flights, two different things.

We've seen this before but it doesn't always happen, most times the fuel surcharges are applied always or never, depending on how the airline files them, which of course is never consistent. Unfortunately the results don't contain information about if a particular surcharge is applied to a particular fare (you have to price out an itinerary to see that), however we always request surcharges be added so the GDS does it where it can.

One trick to see the true base fare before fuel surcharges is to look at the Routing Rules for the fare. That will list just the base fare in the top of the response.

Last edited by ExpertFlyer Voice; Feb 18, 2011 at 1:19 pm Reason: Add trick about Routing Rules
Old Feb 18, 2011, 2:35 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
That is not the problem. If you notice, the difference between the two fares for TLXSL91 is $360. That is 2x the one-way fuel surcharge of $180 (as noted in the Surcharges section of the Fare Rules).
Thanks for the explanation - makes sense but would be nice if it displayed a little more clearly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.