map zurichflyer
map Catweazle
Print Wikipost

FlightMemory

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2009, 1:45 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
All flights that appear on your selected "home" map will not appear on the world map. Continental US to Hawaii appears on your "home" map, and thus not on the world map. If you change your "home" map to another country then the US domestic flights, including those to Hawaii will show (see my FM map for example)
Old Sep 15, 2009, 1:50 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwoord Gold, Amex Centurion, Global Entry
Great! You're my hero!
Old Sep 16, 2009, 3:06 am

Programs: IHG, M&M, FB, Avios, ALL, etc.
Flight Memory has a weird way of displaying domestic flights. For instance, my flights from mainland Spain to the Canary Islands are not shown on the map of Spain; and on the other hand they count as both domestic and intercontinental flights.

And these, as well as any flight to and within northern Africa can only be seen on the Europe map!
Old Sep 17, 2009, 3:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by josmon10
Flight Memory has a weird way of displaying domestic flights. For instance, my flights from mainland Spain to the Canary Islands are not shown on the map of Spain; and on the other hand they count as both domestic and intercontinental flights.

And these, as well as any flight to and within northern Africa can only be seen on the Europe map!
Same way with the domestic US... Hawaii and Alaska show up like on some other maps... near Mexico...

So sometimes I switch it to global view so it shows the flights correctly... but its rather small...

Still I wish it could show more range on the domestic US flights...
Old Sep 18, 2009, 2:43 am

The maps issues

Hi guys,

Sam from FlightMemory here...

First of all - THANKS to KiwiFlyer for answering the question, where we seem to have not made it clear enough.

Regarding the maps issues stated above (US and Spain/Portugal and their islands in Africa), please let me state the origin and challenges of these issues:

Before we started with FlightMemory in April 2007, we checked with US users from FlugStatistik and asked them how to treat the 2 afar states, Hawaii and Alaska. As Germans we feared, that cutting them off the domestic map will lead to a misunderstanding, as they are states of the US..

And putting them on the domestic map with the "real data" would have made the US map very, very small...as the maps reflect a scale and therefore to include these states would make the mainland-US itself too small.

So after asking, we were made aware of the solution used today by many user from the US who had told us, other services solve it this way, as well...hence our solution today putting Hawaii and Alaska off the map and as an extra solution.

It is very frustrating for us, that we now have the problem the other way around, so if we go at it, we need to program it in a way, that allows each individual user to choose how to handle these two US states (in domestic map of US as used today or only on the worldmap).

The same challenges are applicable for Spain and Portugal with their far off islands, which, while belonging to these countries are situated as islands in front of the continent Africa - hence the "weird looking" solution, that they are "domestic" and "intercontinental" - because, they actually are both...

And concerning the same flights in mutliple maps:
Because we have user who have more than the average number of flights, we have decided, that it is best to show each flight only on one map - so if a flight appears on a domestic map, it will not show on another map...this is because we want to ensure maps to not get cluttered by redundant information and because we do have user, who have more than 1,000 flights in the system...actually the average(!) PremiumMember has more than 200 flights...

So we really do understand your frustration, too...we can only ask for your ongoing patience with us - this process can take time as we are still only two guys working for all of you, financing FlightMemory through our regular work (which also needs to be done) and trying to find solutions for each issue.
We hope, that in 2010 we can make some significant steps forward regarding the maps...
Old Sep 18, 2009, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by shoggoth
We hope, that in 2010 we can make some significant steps forward regarding the maps...
Or you could try another website which has had zoomable, scrollable, real-time filtered flight maps since 2008.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 3:58 am

The same challenges are applicable for Spain and Portugal with their far off islands, which, while belonging to these countries are situated as islands in front of the continent Africa - hence the "weird looking" solution, that they are "domestic" and "intercontinental" - because, they actually are both...
All right, I can take that. But it still doesn't explain why a flight from TUN (Tunisia) to CMN (Morocco) will only appear on the Europe map, not the Africa one...

Besides, I'd rather see my flights from Spain to African countries on the World Map. I think it's only logical.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by josmon10
But it still doesn't explain why a flight from TUN (Tunisia) to CMN (Morocco) will only appear on the Europe map, not the Africa one...
You got us on that one - the North coast of Africa is in the Europemap as when we were just a very small German site with 5,000 user we thought this would cover in a better way, what those user werre flying.
Like I said - solutions will come. TX for supporting us!
Old Sep 21, 2009, 4:33 am

solutions will come. TX for supporting us!
OK. Keep up the good work!
Old Sep 27, 2009, 7:13 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwoord Gold, Amex Centurion, Global Entry
Hi guys,

Sam from FlightMemory here...
Thank you for your post! For users with not so many flights, wouldn't it be easier to show all flights on all maps? For me it was very confusing missing 10 flights on the worldmap. I would like to use the worldmap as the most complete map of flights I made.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 2:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by StewieD
Thank you for your post! For users with not so many flights, wouldn't it be easier to show all flights on all maps? For me it was very confusing missing 10 flights on the worldmap. I would like to use the worldmap as the most complete map of flights I made.
My workaround is by choosing an obscure country and setting that as your primary, forcing all the flights on the world view...
Old Sep 28, 2009, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have done the same.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
My workaround is by choosing an obscure country and setting that as your primary, forcing all the flights on the world view...
That's a great idea. ^ Changing my settings now...
Old Oct 2, 2009, 1:28 pm

Programs: MR PL, Hyatt GP Diamond, HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-LIst, National EE
Is anyone else experiencing issues with accessing flightmemory.com today? I keep getting a timing out message.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 4:42 pm

I don't know if any of you have noticed, but I found a little fun feature buried deep within FlightMemory.

If you click on the "FlightData" section, then choose "Search in all flights", there is a section at the bottom that will search the database for other users who have been on the same flights as you.

Using this I found that our own iCorpRoadie was on the same SLC-ATL flight as me on July 12, 2007!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.