Reload this Page >

KVS Availability Tool vs. ExpertFlyer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KVS Availability Tool vs. ExpertFlyer

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:44 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
As a previous KVS user, the database checks were quite accurate.

I had no issues booking a 10 segment reward ticket using Star Alliance Reward Availability.

There have been some anecdotal reports of the reservations desk using an older system that doesn't see the same inventory that KVS sees, however that problem would be with the reservation desk (Aeroplan), not with KVS. In other words, accurate.

Good luck.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
I am a heavy expertflyer user on a multitude of airlines (both looking at rev buckets to upgrade as well as premium award tickets) and some airlines they have access to upgrade cabins and awards avail and others (like CX) they don't have access.

With CX, I find the loads in the premium cabins (which I follow with CX) are pretty darn accurate.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:41 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by stevensonleehk
I've just been introduced to Experflyer and I think its a fabulous tool for frequent travelers. Unfortunately, it does not include award booking availability maps for CX. I've heard that KVStool does?
That is correct -- the KVS Tool supports Award Availability across the entire OneWorld network, including CX -- please see http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Classes for details.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by stevensonleehk
I've just been introduced to Experflyer and I think its a fabulous tool for frequent travelers. Unfortunately, it does not include award booking availability maps for CX.

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
For CX award availability, the go to source is the award search on the JL website. That information is available for free, either by using JAL.com yourself or via AwardNexus.com which has a Free version for FT members.
+1 for AwardNexus. Free CX data available for free without a tool to download.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: OW Sapp, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
I find that when using Expertflyer, choosing UK POS can get a better accuracy in CX stock
Old Mar 14, 2012, 1:32 pm

Only a few seats left. Book now!

How accurate is the online booking regarding remaining seats? Did a dummy booking for economy and site says "Only a few seats left. Book now!" for both directions. Went to Seat selection and counted over 38 seats available for Departure and Return. No sure if 38 seats or more available is CX's term for "Only a few seats left. Book now!" Am I missing something? LOL

Last edited by travelbug38; Mar 14, 2012 at 1:44 pm
Old Mar 14, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by travelbug38
How accurate is the online booking regarding remaining seats? Did a dummy booking for economy and site says "Only a few seats left. Book now!" for both directions. Went to Seat selection and counted over 38 seats available for Departure and Return. No sure if 38 seats or more available is CX's term for "Only a few seats left. Book now!" Am I missing something? LOL
This has been a problem since CX migrates to the new reservation system. Seat map does not give an accurate indication of seats left, though, as many people having confirmed reservation does not have seat assignment.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:40 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

You appear to be confusing Availability and Seat Maps:

http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Q2
http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Q3
Old Mar 15, 2012, 2:30 pm

The seat map shows the available seats for selection as where you want to park your rear. What's so confusing about it that you are taking me for.. ??? with simple different terms of seats available and no seats available for pre-assignment.

Unless you have a better interpretation similar to CX. Which is --having more than 38 seats choice in the SEAT MAP is same as "Only a few seats left. Book now!" for AVAILABILITY. What a joke. To me this is a sales gimmick to get pax buy the ticket early on to fill the seats.

Originally Posted by KVS
You appear to be confusing Availability and Seat Maps:

http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Q2
http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Q3

Last edited by travelbug38; Mar 15, 2012 at 2:39 pm
Old Mar 15, 2012, 2:40 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

The seat map shows the available seats for selection as where you want to park your rear. What's so confusing about it that you are taking me for.. ???

Unless you have a better interpretation similar to CX. Which is --having more than 38 seats choice in the SEAT MAP is same as "Only a few seats left. Book now!" for AVAILABILITY. What a joke.
"Only a few seats left" refers to Availability, not Seat Maps.

It is perfectly normal to have 38 (or even 138) unassigned seats on the Seat Map and, say, only 5 seats Available for sale (which would trigger that message).
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by KVS
"Only a few seats left" refers to Availability, not Seat Maps.

It is perfectly normal to have 38 (or even 138) unassigned seats on the Seat Map and, say, only 5 seats Available for sale (which would trigger that message).
Now you are talking. Is is also legally correct for that particular price range but morally questionable. Since, when looking forward many months ahead I see the same message with almost identical pattern blocks of "available seats" for selection within in this case, CX's website. So sorry for the unsuspecting customer to purchase right away thinking that "Only a few seats left" and then the price drops or when more seats are released by the airline at a more attrative rate.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
This has nothing to do with Asia Miles or CX flights per se... so is moved.

Guy Betsy
Cathay Pacific Asia Miles forum co-mod
Old Mar 15, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: Not care as much as before...
For CX award availability, use asiamiles or BA's (when no ba flight, it switch to parters' automatically).
but they can't distinguish saver award and standard award, for example, using aa miles
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by ssoonngg123
For CX award availability, use asiamiles or BA's (when no ba flight, it switch to parters' automatically).
but they can't distinguish saver award and standard award, for example, using aa miles
JL's website also has it.

KVS collects info from those sites and puts it into a nice format for you to use.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:48 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow as this thread moves to the new Travel Tools forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.