Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KVS Availability Tool vs. ExpertFlyer

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2009, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Let the games begin - again.

(You guys should just merge and be done with it. )
Old Dec 21, 2009, 8:35 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

This has been hashed out in numerous threads (this is a particularly complete one: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...lyer-tool.html which lists all the airlines/features that are exclusive to ExpertFlyer). So I’ll try to add something new to the conversation.

One of the main benefits is that because we're a website and not a Windows based program, we can do things for you in the background. For example our Flight Alerts service searches for Award/Upgrade (or even regular inventory) for availability on a flight and alerts you if/when it finds it. Our Seat Alerts service that we introduced just last month will do the same thing for currently occupied seats. We'll notify you if any aisle or window seat becomes available if you’re stuck in the middle seat, for example, or any other specific seat you want. Our mobile site at mobile.expertflyer.com is also possible because of this, as is the 14 day availability searching feature we have.

The real difference is that KVS gets its data by screen scraping publicly available, and free, websites. You’re paying for a convenience, not data otherwise unavailable or services built around that data. ExpertFlyer on the other hand pays for its data by getting it from the airline reservation systems, and in some cases, the airlines directly. This leads to what we believe is better quality and stability of the data. For example, we show upgrade inventory for AA, AA.com doesn’t even do that, only us. Also, for all our Award/Upgrade airlines (list here) we show the actual inventory values available (0,1,2,3, etc) KVS just shows a yes/no response for the quantity searched for.

Now KVS will say that he has more airlines for the alliance award search, and that’s fine, but the reason is because of the websites he screen scrapes to do it. Oneworld is from screen scraping Qantas.com, Star Alliance is from screen scraping ANA.co.jp, and Skyteam is from screen scraping NWA.com (guess what will happen if Delta shuts that down). So if that’s what you’re looking for, you could always go to the source of the data, for free. Yes, some of what’s on ExpertFlyer is available for free too, but 100% of what’s on KVS is available for free elsewhere. If you’re curious as to other KVS data sources, please PM me. For the record, we try not to screen scrape from the airline websites so as not to upset them. We actively pursue relationships with the major airlines to enhance our offerings.

This also means that what features are or aren't in the Light/Gold/Platinum/Diamond subscription levels of KVS are completely arbitrary since there are no ongoing data costs to him when you use the tool. For EF, data & services that cost us more to provide are only in our Premium service (alerts, multi day/class searching, etc).

With EF, you’re paying for what we consider a cleaner, graphical, web based interface, that has some data that isn’t available on any website, and value added services built around the data. KVS is cheaper, but you’re only paying for a new front end to already free supplier websites. You have to judge for yourself which is right for you.

To answer your specific question Frequentflyer99 about BA, we show graphical seat maps for all 4 cabins and the aforementioned Seat Alert service will probably come in handy for you.

It’s a value decision on your part, either way have a safe flight!

-EFV

Last edited by ExpertFlyer Voice; Dec 21, 2009 at 11:03 pm
Old Dec 21, 2009, 9:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
If you’re curious as to other KVS data sources, please PM me.
Why? Because you have too much class to bash a competing product here in an open forum?
Old Dec 21, 2009, 9:51 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by inlanikai
Let the games begin - again.

(You guys should just merge and be done with it. )
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Why? Because you have too much class to bash a competing product here in an open forum?
LOL

P.S. When it comes to a list of exclusive features, the size does matter
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:00 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

The demise of NW has reduced the usefulness of Expertflyer for those trying to burn DL (or other ST) miles. I recently subscribed to KVS, which shows DL O class (award) availability. Expertflyer has added many airlines over the years, but KVS has an edge in the number of airlines covered. Expertflyer has an edge in that it allows searches over several days (+/-3). My new verdict (as someone who redeems several million miles each year) is: You may well need both.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:35 am

I'm not sure if others have had similar problems but in regards to customer support, I'm struggling with the KVS tool right now.

I made the mistake of signing up for a year membership rather than a monthly one and after testing the tool once I didn't find much use for it. I thought I was in the trial period but after emailing their customer support to cancel, they are now refusing to refund me my membership fee. I even asked that they only refund the difference between the yearly fee I paid and a 1 month fee (despite only using the tool once) and they still said they wouldn't. I realize it was my fault to selecting the year subscription but for a young company, I'm shocked they would try to milk a full year fee after one week. Buyer beware if you sign up for the KVS tool.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 3:49 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Tried to sign up for KVS and at the time, it was not available for Mac. Has that changed?

BTW, I love Expertflyer
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I've used both and find I prefer ExpertFlyer. The convenience of having it be web based is hard to ignore - especially since KVS has a fairly onerous non-automated activation scheme. I own a bunch of computers and switch between them depending on what I'm doing (I select a size of laptop for each trip, Goldilocks-style )... because KVS doesn't have automatic activation, I was stuck waiting a day or so for manual processing of my e-mail request for a new key (which caused me to actually miss out on having data when I needed it.)

Also, ExpertFlyer has very accurate data on the Delta complimentary upgrade buckets, which is invaluable to me. On the other hand, ExpertFlyer doesn't seem to have Delta award data - so if I find myself trying to plan some absurdly complicated RTW ticket, I'll probably end up back with a short term subscription to KVS. (This hasn't been a big deal so far - EF does have Alaska award data, and that's usually what I'm hunting for.)

That siad, you should have access to one or the other if you're serious about maximizing your frequent flier benefits - EF combined with ITA Software is my one-two punch of secret weapons!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:04 pm

EF / ExpertFlyer or KVS Tool?

Tried the EF trial. I don't think KVS has a trial, so we don't know the system, but we have to pick one.

I'm thinking we only need AAwards the we use on CX and C UG mostly.

Which program do you prefer?

Thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by zznoname
Tried the EF trial. I don't think KVS has a trial, so we don't know the system, but we have to pick one.

I'm thinking we only need AAwards the we use on CX and C UG mostly.

Which program do you prefer?

Thanks.
You can contact KVS, and he sometimes gives trials.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:27 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
I use both for AA Awards. EF is must to have not only awards.

most people use the websites directly instead of KVS. I prefer to have all integrated in KVS instead of login in to each different website (cx, qf, etc)
Old Feb 17, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: Any program with a credit card, or good prices.
Originally Posted by wpj
I prefer to have all integrated in KVS instead of login in to each different website (cx, qf, etc)
+ 1

I've never used EF but the alert emails sound nice
Old Feb 17, 2012, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I have tried both. Two reasons why I chose EF:

1) KVS is for Windows only. As a Mac user, I use EF.

2) I prefer the web-based (not software-based) interface, as I find it more nimble and less cumbersome, and with no updates needing to be run. I also like that there is a mobile browser version for iOS and other mobile platforms.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 1:27 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by zznoname
I'm thinking we only need AAwards the we use on CX
Last year, FT member Lux had put together a set of comparison charts in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...l#post16826799 Thread.

Out of the two, only the KVS Tool supports Award Availability on CX:

Originally Posted by Lux

Originally Posted by Lux

Old Feb 17, 2012, 1:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As this is not really about a specific airline, but rather about tools, it will be forwarded to TravelBuzz! where such threads exist already - perhaps to be merged into one of them. /Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.