Reload this Page >

KVS Availability Tool vs. ExpertFlyer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KVS Availability Tool vs. ExpertFlyer

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2006, 2:32 pm

You can lookup *A award availability for all :-: airlines through ANA's website, just login after free registration.
planes&trains likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 2:50 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Expertflyer

I've been subscribing to Expertflyer for about 18 months I think and I am very happy to use it. I find the website reliable and very easy to use. Also when I've made comments on their webpage they've answered promptly and even changed the website as per my suggestion! All in all, I'm very happy with EF and will continue using it.

I used to subscribe to KVS when you could still make a voluntarily contribution. But since the whole thing with levels came along it is more like a paysite. Ever since my harddrive crashed and I had to reinstall windows (thus losing my registration data and getting a new system code for KVS) I never bothered to reregister.
Still, I would like to thank KVS for developing this tool.

EF is my prefered choice.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 12:37 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I'm planning to subscribe to one of these 2 services very soon. Maybe someone can advise me as to which one has the info I need most - in order of priority:

Int'l fares showing the cheapest fare valid for any date in the future
(It seems like they both will do this)

NW domestic 'R' class upgrade availability

NW 'W' award availability

Ease & speed of use

DL seat maps showing 'premium seating'

CO domestic upgrade availability (I don't know what class it is)

If I understand everyone correctly, EF would be available anywhere there's internet service whereas KVS is a program that resides on your computer and has to be used from that computer - - However - KVS has much faster responses. If so, does KVS still use the internet to access the information? Many, MANY years ago, I was a VERY part-time travel agent and I had WorldSpan on my computer. The computer dialed into their computer and responses were ULTRA fast!! Faster than the blink of an eye! Do I have all of this right - - some parts wrong?

Any other pro or con input is greatly appreciated.

Thanx!

Dave
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:36 am

KVS Tool or Expert Flyer?

Now that seatcounter is funding interruptis, I want to sign up for the paid versions of either KVS or Expert Flyer. I notice that KVS costs $5/month, but needs a 3-month min ($15), while ExpertFlyer has the pay-as-you-go option for $10/month.

Any recommendations from folks who've used these tools? Perhaps this is obvious, but I will be using them to check for UA upgrades and *A awards availability.

Cheers!
Old Aug 15, 2008, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis First
I've used ExpertFlyer and found it to be worth it. It won't let you search LH award buckets (or any LH buckets at all, right now), but then again, with Starnet blocking, it probably doesn't matter anyway.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 2:44 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by SafariMatt
It won't let you search LH award buckets (or any LH buckets at all, right now)
Even though the LH award classes aren't currently available, you can still view the regular LH fare classes using the Flight Availability tool. If you are still having problems please email us at [email protected] and we will help you out.

-EFV
Old Aug 16, 2008, 3:01 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
I've never used KVS, so I can't comment on it. I will just say that I find expertflyer extremely useful and IMHO quite affordable.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 3:13 pm
formerly OliverS

I have used both, in fact I have a current subscription for both. KVS is a standalone tool (the web companion interface isn't comfortable to use, therefore I don't count it), while expertflyer is entirely web-based.
In my eyes there's both good and bad to that - KVS requires updates from time to time and you have to install on your computer (may not be that easy on a business laptop), but it offers more flexibility in terms of sorting results etc. as it is a regular windows (other OS available, I think) application. A disadvantage of KVS (which to other people may be an advantage!) is that it has more options and you need to know what you are doing - i.e. pick between, Sabre, Amadeus etc. and also pick the country you're searching from.
Expertflyer is purely a web interface and thus never requires updates. Also, it is easier to use if you don't the previously described options. Then again it comes with the inflexibility web forms bring with them.

Personally I would say KVS is more for the pro who wants to look behind everything, while expertflyer suits the advanced flyer who wants to see fare classes, find upgrades etc. Of course, someone else might see that differently.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 3:18 pm
sy7

Depending on how heavy your usage is, you can probably get by with the ANA *alliance award search tool and setting your UA account to expert mode. The details are in the UA forum. Basically, by setting it to expert mode, you can see the fare bucket availability for all UA flights (for paid seats, award seats, and upgrades).

That said, I ended up getting an expertflyer subscription, initially because I needed to check LX award availability. (The ANA tool does not include LX flights). I found that I really liked the ease of use and the functionality, and the ability to set alerts for the release of award seat availability is extremely convenient. It isn't that expensive so I ended up keeping the subscription.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
KVS scrapes data from otherwise-available sources, though in a very useful way IMHO. ExpertFlyer pulls data from a CRS. Each has strengths and weaknesses which vary based on what airline you use and what you're trying to accomplish. I do like that ExpertFlyer has an email functionality, it'll continue monitoring your desired availability and email you when it turns up.

If you fly AA, you want ExpertFlyer. I love the ease of searching *A awards on KVS (though I could do it myself on the NH website).
Old Aug 16, 2008, 3:46 pm

Programs: spg gold
I have the KVS tool and think its not easy to use.I only use it to search awards(do not search upgrades or fares)When looking for an award I was told EF will tell you when it becomes availabile.KVS does not search CX or JL.I use all three Alliances for awards which do you think is best KVS or EF? I just took a look at the EF site,when using it for awards seems like a small list of airlines.Am I right?If I was looking for an award to Asia I think EF would not help much?Gleff what is a NH website?

Last edited by jkoenig51; Aug 16, 2008 at 4:30 pm
Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:16 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
expertflyer or KVS tool, which one is better?

any suggestions?

Thanks
Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you search around you can find a number of comparisons of the tools. They have different information in them so it will really depend on things like what airline you are flying/researching and what actual details you are looking for. Neither of the two is just plain "better" than the other. Both rely on other services for their data so the update and whatnot should happen at the same time in theory, though, again, it depends on what exactly you are looking for.

Here are two of the more recent/coherent threads comparing the tools for some reference:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...vs+expertflyer
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...vs+expertflyer

I'm going to lock this thread and suggest that you continue the discussion in one of the other threads if there are questions that aren't answered in them.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Any current views on which is better, when flying predominantly BA ?
Old Dec 21, 2009, 7:10 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by jkoenig51
KVS does not search CX
CX Award availability has been supported since Jun 2009, and the KVS Tool continues to have the most comprehensive award and upgrade coverage across all 3 global alliances.

Some of the advantages of the KVS Tool include:
  • Incomparably wider award availability coverage in all 3 global alliances:

• Available exclusively via KVS Tool (Awards):
      *A: UA/US/CO/LH/OS/SK/TP/LO/JK/TK/SQ/NH/OZ/TG/SA/MS/JP/OU/KF
      *O: BA/IB/MA/LA/CX
      *S: DL/KL/SU/AM/KE/CZ/KQ/UX
      **: HA/YX/FJ

• Available exclusively via KVS Tool (Upgrades):
      *A: UA/US/LH/OS/SK/TP/LO/JK/TK/SQ/NH/OZ/TG/SA/MS/JP/OU/KF
      *O: BA

• Also available via KVS Tool (Awards):
      *A: AC/BD/NZ/SN/CA/FM
      *O: QF/AY
      *S: AF/OK
      **: LY/EI/AS/TN/JJ/IT

• Also available via KVS Tool (Upgrades):
      *A: AC/BD/NZ/SN/CA/FM
      **: LY/HA

• Text seat maps for most carriers, which can be easily copied-and-pasted into a Forum post or an e-mail message, just like most other types of results (availability, fares, fare rules).

• Multiple GDS & Point-of-Sale (POS) options for more relevant/accurate availability data.

• 'Always-on' approach: No need to log-in (except for once every 6/12 months when renewing membership); users are never 'logged-out'.

• Keyboard shortcuts, which enable mouse-free interaction and can really speed things up.

• PNR Manager

• Reference Information Lookup:
    • Maximum Permitted Mileage [MPM]
    • Minimum Connection Time [MCT]

• Flight Operational Info (With Airline Comments)

• Visa/Immigration/Customs Information (TIMATIC)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.